The Gospel of Thomas

What I get from you, is man is flesh has no Spirit

I don't know about Frank but personally I don't have a "spirit". What I DO have is a personality and way of doing things which is an emergent property of my brain's functioning.

I say this because:

1) I have never seen a "spirit" without an attached physical body but I have seen bodies without any "spirit" (ie dead people)
2) I have seen people whose personality and essentially "who they are" (aka "their spirit") change with the effect of drugs or brain damage (ie strokes)

As such why would I infer the existence of a "spirit" which is immutable and survives death? I've never seen such a thing but I've seen effects that match EXACTLY with the idea of a "spirit" (or "soul" or "essence") that can be altered by altering the physical or chemical features of the physical brain.

It appears for all intents to be an "emergent property" rather than an actual 'thing'

I don't know about Frank but personally I don't have a "spirit". What I DO have is a personality and way of doing things which is an emergent property of my brain's functioning.

I say this because:

1) I have never seen a "spirit" without an attached physical body but I have seen bodies without any "spirit" (ie dead people)
2) I have seen people whose personality and essentially "who they are" (aka "their spirit") change with the effect of drugs or brain damage (ie strokes)

As such why would I infer the existence of a "spirit" which is immutable and survives death? I've never seen such a thing but I've seen effects that match EXACTLY with the idea of a "spirit" (or "soul" or "essence") that can be altered by altering the physical or chemical features of the physical brain.

It appears for all intents to be an "emergent property" rather than an actual 'thing'

FYI your physical eyes can't see everything that's there.

What I get from you, is man is flesh has no Spirit

I defy you to point out where I said that man is flesh and has no spirit.

I DEFY YOU TO DO THAT. And you may use any post I have made here or in any other forum where I have participated during during the last three decades.

Back