The nature of the universe, whether God(s) exist, and how we define them

Theists argue that the universe cannot exist without being caused. They never can explain why.

I am fascinated that they are willing to make a "special pleading" for God to be eternal but the concept of the universe being eternal and without a predicate cause is unthinkable. And they don't see the equivalence.

I am fascinated that they are willing to make a "special pleading" for God to be eternal but the concept of the universe being eternal and without a predicate cause is unthinkable. And they don't see the equivalence.

No. I asked my minister in a Bible study group and he rejected the question. God is self caused is all he said.

science has identified a beginning for the universe........it has not done so for God......

science has identified a beginning for the universe........it has not done so for God......

Incorrect. It states that the universe we have today appears to have started with the Big Bang but it posits no real known reason why it would come into existence or what came before the Big Bang.

It is religion that says it was GOD who created the universe and that God has VERY SPECIFIC RULES for those members of the human race he will not punish eternally in hell. Religion posits a creator of the universe whose primary interest out of the entire univerese was a small hillcountry tribe in a chunk of semi-desert land next to the Mediterranean.

Incorrect. It states that the universe we have today appears to have started with the Big Bang but it posits no real known reason why it would come into existence or what came before the Big Bang.

no one said science knows why.......or what came before.......they have however identified that this universe had a beginning......

no one said science knows why.......or what came before.......they have however identified that this universe had a beginning......

Incorect. There is the concept in cosmology that says the universe may actually be eternal but goes through cycles of inflation and deflation. Big Bangs and Big Collapse, over and over again. One hypothesis suggests the presence of "m-branes" which interact and at their point of interaction is a new "big bang".

It's all guesses. There is, to my knowledge, no way to support any of it.

So science does NOT posit an ultimate beginning to everything just because you are only familiar with one concept in cosmology

Back