The whore of Babylon

"And the dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we, who are alive and remain, shall be caught up together with HIM in the clouds...and so shall we ever be with the Lord"

If this doesn't describe the rapture, then what the heck is it talking about?

Jesus taught in the Gospels that He would return before the generation then living passed away. (Mt. 24:34; Mk. 9:1.)

These things took place in 70 A.D. God destroyed the world that then was (the world of Judaism) and brought in the new heaven and new earth (the kingdom of God).

Jesus, speaking prophetically, said, "For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled" (Lk. 21:22.)

Look at the "rapture" passage as given in Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians (I Corinthians 15:51,52 holds similar verses ):

"But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.

For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God.

And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words." (I Thess 4:13-18)

The Thessalonian Christians were concerned about the fate of those saints who had fallen asleep (died). They needed comforting and teaching about events at the second coming of Jesus and the resurrection. You see, the truth is, the catching away of the living saints is only a small part of the greater resurrection.

Jesus taught in the Gospels that He would return before the generation then living passed away. (Mt. 24:34; Mk. 9:1.)

These things took place in 70 A.D. God destroyed the world that then was (the world of Judaism) and brought in the new heaven and new earth (the kingdom of God).

Jesus, speaking prophetically, said, "For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled" (Lk. 21:22.)

Look at the "rapture" passage as given in Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians (I Corinthians 15:51,52 holds similar verses ):

"But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.

For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God.

And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words." (I Thess 4:13-18)

The Thessalonian Christians were concerned about the fate of those saints who had fallen asleep (died). They needed comforting and teaching about events at the second coming of Jesus and the resurrection. You see, the truth is, the catching away of the living saints is only a small part of the greater resurrection.

You don't know a thing about the Biblical timeline.

The Bible,which you misinterpret

It was largely through the influence of Scofield's notes that dispensationalism grew in influence among fundamentalist Christians in the United States.

Scofield's notes on the Book of Revelation are a major source for the various timetables, judgments, and plagues elaborated on by popular religious writers such as Hal Lindsey, Edgar C. Whisenant, and Tim LaHaye; and in part because of the success of the Scofield Reference Bible, twentieth-century American fundamentalists placed greater stress on eschatological speculation.

Opponents of biblical fundamentalism have criticized the Scofield Bible for its air of total authority in biblical interpretation, for what they consider its glossing over of biblical contradictions, and for its focus on eschatology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scofield_Reference_Bible

It was largely through the influence of Scofield's notes that dispensationalism grew in influence among fundamentalist Christians in the United States.

Scofield's notes on the Book of Revelation are a major source for the various timetables, judgments, and plagues elaborated on by popular religious writers such as Hal Lindsey, Edgar C. Whisenant, and Tim LaHaye; and in part because of the success of the Scofield Reference Bible, twentieth-century American fundamentalists placed greater stress on eschatological speculation.

Opponents of biblical fundamentalism have criticized the Scofield Bible for its air of total authority in biblical interpretation, for what they consider its glossing over of biblical contradictions, and for its focus on eschatology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scofield_Reference_Bible

I learned the Bible thru the Holy Spirit.

Really? Most of us read and go to Sunday school and Church.

I didn't,my Dad got expelled from Catholic HS,so we were never taken to church.
On 11-1-75 at Midnight the Holy Spirit came upon me,I had no idea what was happening.
I had been chosen,for a mission.
I resigned,YHWH wouldn't except my resignation.
For the next year or so the Holy Spirit taught me scriptures,majoring in Passover.
I finally bought a Bible and all I had been taught was in there.

I didn't,my Dad got expelled from Catholic HS,so we were never taken to church.
On 11-1-75 at Midnight the Holy Spirit came upon me,I had no idea what was happening.
I had been chosen,for a mission.
I resigned,YHWH wouldn't except my resignation.
For the next year or so the Holy Spirit taught me scriptures,majoring in Passover.
I finally bought a Bible and all I had been taught was in there.

That's interesting and unique. The Holy Spirit taught you scripture before you bought a Bible?

This is all very interesting, and expands the mind. Where I was brought up, the Whore of Babylon (not a phrase that tripped often off our lips, fair play), was, I think, the title for the Church of Rome.

The Whore of Babylon
Richard Anthony

The Angel said that he will tell us the mystery of the Woman (Rev 17:7, 18). In fact, the whole book of Revelation gives us clues, so we will start our investigation there. Once we have the internal clues the external evidence shouldn't be too hard to find...

The Woman is called "Sodom" and "Egypt" and "Babylon" (Revelation 11:8; 17:5, 14:8, 18:10, 21).

The Woman is located where Jesus was crucified (Revelation 11:8).

The Woman's dwelling place becomes a River of Blood (Revelation 14:20).

The Woman is Split into 3 Divisions (Revelation 16:19).

The Woman "sits on many waters" (Revelation 17:1) and these "waters" are diverse peoples (Revelation 17:15).

The Woman has fornicated with the Heathen World against God (Revelation 17:2, 18:3, 18:9).

The Woman is born along on a Beast (Revelation 17:3).

The Woman is the Mother of all Whores and Abominable Atrocities (Revelation 17:5).

The Woman is Drunk on the Blood of O.T. & N.T. Saints (Revelation 17:6, 18:24, 18:20).

The Woman is responsible for the death of the Prophets and Apostles (Revelation 17:6, 18:20, 18:24).

The Woman sits on 7 Mountains (Revelation 17:9).

The Woman is a dwelling place of devils (Revelation 18:2).

The Woman is a Prison for Evil Spirits (Revelation 18:2).

The Woman is a Cage, full of Dirty Birds (Revelation 18:2).

The Woman has a Full Cup of Iniquities (Revelation 18:5).

The Woman is Doubly Judged (Revelation 18:6).

The Woman considers herself a Queen (Revelation 18:7).

The Woman still considers herself Married (Revelation 18:7).

The Woman was Rich and Mourned when Judged (Revelation 18:10, 16-19).

The Woman merchandised the Souls of Men (Revelation 18:13).

The Woman is pronounced Desolate (Revelation 18:19).

The Woman's sound of Joy is taken away (Revelation 18:22).

The Woman's position of Creativity is taken away (Revelation 18:22).

The Woman's authority as someone equipped to Judge is removed (Revelation 18:22).

The Woman's Light-Bearing ability is snuffed out (Revelation 18:23).

The Woman's Bridegroom has Divorced Her (Revelation 18:23).

The Woman's Engagement/Marriage has been annulled/abrogated (Rev 18:23).

The Woman is called "This/That Great City" (Revelation 11:8, 14:8, 16:19, 17:18, 18:10, 16, 18, 19, 21, 21:10).

The Woman = Jerusalem

The most compelling evidence that the woman is Jerusalem is that scripture says it's where Jesus was crucified! (Revelation 11:8). Compare Jerusalem before her Judgment: (Revelation 11:8) and after Her Judgment (Revelation 21:10).

If you believe that, you have no idea what context is.

The Angel said that he will tell us the mystery of the Woman (Rev 17:7, 18). In fact, the whole book of Revelation gives us clues, so we will start our investigation there. Once we have the internal clues the external evidence shouldn't be too hard to find...

The Woman is called "Sodom" and "Egypt" and "Babylon" (Revelation 11:8; 17:5, 14:8, 18:10, 21).

The Woman is located where Jesus was crucified (Revelation 11:8).

The Woman's dwelling place becomes a River of Blood (Revelation 14:20).

The Woman is Split into 3 Divisions (Revelation 16:19).

The Woman "sits on many waters" (Revelation 17:1) and these "waters" are diverse peoples (Revelation 17:15).

The Woman has fornicated with the Heathen World against God (Revelation 17:2, 18:3, 18:9).

The Woman is born along on a Beast (Revelation 17:3).

The Woman is the Mother of all Whores and Abominable Atrocities (Revelation 17:5).

The Woman is Drunk on the Blood of O.T. & N.T. Saints (Revelation 17:6, 18:24, 18:20).

The Woman is responsible for the death of the Prophets and Apostles (Revelation 17:6, 18:20, 18:24).

The Woman sits on 7 Mountains (Revelation 17:9).

The Woman is a dwelling place of devils (Revelation 18:2).

The Woman is a Prison for Evil Spirits (Revelation 18:2).

The Woman is a Cage, full of Dirty Birds (Revelation 18:2).

The Woman has a Full Cup of Iniquities (Revelation 18:5).

The Woman is Doubly Judged (Revelation 18:6).

The Woman considers herself a Queen (Revelation 18:7).

The Woman still considers herself Married (Revelation 18:7).

The Woman was Rich and Mourned when Judged (Revelation 18:10, 16-19).

The Woman merchandised the Souls of Men (Revelation 18:13).

The Woman is pronounced Desolate (Revelation 18:19).

The Woman's sound of Joy is taken away (Revelation 18:22).

The Woman's position of Creativity is taken away (Revelation 18:22).

The Woman's authority as someone equipped to Judge is removed (Revelation 18:22).

The Woman's Light-Bearing ability is snuffed out (Revelation 18:23).

The Woman's Bridegroom has Divorced Her (Revelation 18:23).

The Woman's Engagement/Marriage has been annulled/abrogated (Rev 18:23).

The Woman is called "This/That Great City" (Revelation 11:8, 14:8, 16:19, 17:18, 18:10, 16, 18, 19, 21, 21:10).

The Woman = Jerusalem

The most compelling evidence that the woman is Jerusalem is that scripture says it's where Jesus was crucified! (Revelation 11:8). Compare Jerusalem before her Judgment: (Revelation 11:8) and after Her Judgment (Revelation 21:10).

If the 'whore' is Jerusalem, how could the 'beast' be Nero Caesar, from Rome?

Would't the "beast" be someone who rules over Jerusalem?

The answer is that Caesar DID rule over Jerusalem. The highest religious authorities in Jerusalem, and all the Jews living in Jerusalem, even admitted that Caesar is their king (John 19:15).

If the 'whore' is Jerusalem, how could the 'beast' be Nero Caesar, from Rome?

Would't the "beast" be someone who rules over Jerusalem?

The answer is that Caesar DID rule over Jerusalem. The highest religious authorities in Jerusalem, and all the Jews living in Jerusalem, even admitted that Caesar is their king (John 19:15).

So the prophet was speaking of current times, rather than times-to-come?

On a quirky side note, we have a neighbor who is a prepper and also a best-selling author. Oh, and she gives great massages too. In one of her books she mentions "Alas, Babylon." Turns out we both read the book at roughly the same age, not too long after it came out. She became a prepper. I just became kind of PTSD about tornado/bomb sirens. lol

Back