Theodicy, the problem of evil

Wrong, the free will theodicy goes back to Christian theologians of late antiquity, more than a thousand years before Liebniz .

That's the problem with reacting to someone's post by frantically googling for two minutes. It is a lazy and misguided attempt to bypass the hard work of learning history and theology

Nope. I'm not wrong. I don't care if there was a theodicy prior to that, that is the one that is most commonly used to explain "the problem of evil" in modern cla...

wait.

FUCK YOU>

SERIOUSLY FUCK YOU. Just because you had to google the topic before you posted the OP doesn't mean we all had to.

JEEESUS YOU ARE THE MOST STUCK UP YOUR OWN ASSHOLE FUCKER I'VE EVER MET ON HERE.

That's sayin' somethin'. You are a piece of shit.

Nope. I'm not wrong. I don't care if there was a theodicy prior to that, that is the one that is most commonly used to explain "the problem of evil" in modern cla...

wait.

FUCK YOU >

SERIOUSLY FUCK YOU. Just because you had to google the topic before you posted the OP doesn't mean we all had to.

JEEESUS YOU ARE THE MOST STUCK UP YOUR OWN ASSHOLE FUCKER I'VE EVER MET ON HERE.

That's sayin' somethin'.

You are a piece of shit

So you didn't know the theodicy of free will was being openly discussed more than a thousand years before Liebniz.

Liebniz is just the first name you stumbled across while frantically googling in reaction to my post.

:magagrin:

wait.

FUCK YOU>

That's sayin' somethin'. You are a piece of shit.

Cypress has zero beliefs,he name drops and refuses to answer direct questions

was anyone attempting to do that?.....
When you get down to it, all these debates and turf wars between holly rollers and militant atheists ultimately come down to gaslighting about whether or not the Christian version of the monotheistic god exists.

One line of reasoning -->

Because of Hitler, Pol Pot, mass murderers, earthquakes, floods, fires, cancer there cannot be an omniscient and beneficent higher power deserving of admiration and veneration.

That depends upon what you agreed to before you came here.

The other line of reasoning.

Humans are imbued with free will. Having the freedom to choose means having the freedom to choose righteousness, or moral depravity.

Earthquakes and floods aren't evil. People die of earthquakes and floods because of where they choose to live, and the building materials they construct with. Earthquakes and floods are part of a natural cycle that makes life flourish, by replenishment of top soil and maintaining and recycling an active crust.

Most cancers are due to our choices and development of synthetic chemicals and environmental pollution.

We wouldn't be fully human if we did not cultivate virtues like courage, self sacrifice, charity. Forced to have perfect and happy lives free of any adversity, the virtues that make us fully human would not be cultivated.

I tend to agree with this version. Ours is a dichotomic universe, at least from a human perspective; hot-cold, light-dark, up-down, left-right, good-evil. I disagree with the Christian version of evil as a force and favor a view that it is simply the absence of good like cold is the absence of heat or darkness the absence of light.

Atheists see death as evil. They use events like the tsunami of 2004 or the Maui fire as evidence God doesn't exist because they see life as a one-shot deal where their existence terminates upon mortal death. Those who believe there is more to existence than our mortal coil see life as more equivalent to K-12 schooling, there is a greater existence beyond this one. Ergo, dying at age 5, 50 or 105 is only a minor difference in the long run. How long a person lives is less important than how they live.

When you get down to it, all these debates and turf wars between holly rollers and militant atheists ultimately come down to gaslighting about whether or not the Christian version of the monotheistic god exists.

no....they come down to atheists starting threads attacking what Christians believe.......I've never seen a thread here started by a Christian trying to prove God exists.....

What do you believe, Pmp? Do you believe yourself to be a Christian walking in the footsteps of Jesus?

I believe in God, Jesus Christ and the fact I am superior to you in every conceivable way......that last part is more about you than it is about me, as I also believe 99% of humans are superior to you in every conceivable way....

I believe in God, Jesus Christ and the fact I am superior to you in every conceivable way......that last part is more about you than it is about me, as I also believe 99% of humans are superior to you in every conceivable way....

The fact you say you are a Christian then brag about your superiority in the same sentence is interesting, Pmp.

Back