Theology Question

That is not possible to say with any assurance.

I believe, as I understand it, Leibniz proposed this as a means of dealing with "The Problem of Evil" in theology. You and I, being lesser beings than God cannot see all the implications of his "plans" so, since God is good, it is assumed that the only way for our world to have as much evil as it does is if this is absolutely the best way to achieve His plans.

That's just my simpleton view of it. But it isn't really something one can simply 'deny' since it is essentially unfalsifiable.

That is not possible to say with any assurance.

I believe, as I understand it, Leibniz proposed this as a means of dealing with "The Problem of Evil" in theology. You and I, being lesser beings than God cannot see all the implications of his "plans" so, since God is good, it is assumed that the only way for our world to have as much evil as it does is if this is absolutely the best way to achieve His plans.

That's just my simpleton view of it. But it isn't really something one can simply 'deny' since it is essentially unfalsifiable.

But that is not what Leibniz says.

If God is all powerful, why can God not make everyone happy? If God created the entire universe, why not create a utopia?

If God cannot make everyone happy, God is not all powerful.
If God can make everyone happy and does not, God is cruel and petty.

Solution, God is not all powerful and cannot make everyone happy.

Even God has limits to power.

Or… we all have free will to chose a path that will make us happy or another path…

Or… there is something yet unknown that justifies suffering.

Or… God doesn’t get involved in such trivial matters.

There are lots of possibilities

Or… we all have free will to chose a path that will make us happy or another path…

Or… there is something yet unknown that justifies suffering.

Or… God doesn’t get involved in such trivial matters.

There are lots of possibilities

Or...a giant invisible tortoise holds up planet earth.

I don't see why an all powerful God wants people to suffer.

Christians have any number of explanations (excuses) for why God allows suffering, particularly the suffering of Christians, children, the defenseless, etc. Of course, the suffering happens because of Adam and Eve eating the apple. Adam and Eve ate the apple because the talking serpent convinced them to. The question is why God a) created the serpent, b) allowed the serpent into the Garden and c) allowed it to convince Adam and Eve to eat the apple.

The better question is why God created the serpent knowing, as an all-knowing deity would, that it would cause the Fall of man and directly result in things like the abuse of defenseless children.

If God is all powerful, why can God not make everyone happy? If God created the entire universe, why not create a utopia?

If God cannot make everyone happy, God is not all powerful.
If God can make everyone happy and does not, God is cruel and petty.

Solution, God is not all powerful and cannot make everyone happy.

Even God has limits to power.
Maybe it's an educational process. Should a First Grade teacher give her students all the answers to tests on the first day of class then cut them loose for the rest of the year? Why? Why not?

Also consider that too many HS students think HS is the entire world. Some even kill themselves over it. Are they correct? No, they are not. HS is just the beginning. Those who believe in an immortal soul are effectively looking at their post-HS future. Those who think life is like HS will not be looking forward and may end up killing themselves when their HS life doesn't work out the way they'd like.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/content/uploads/sites/110/2022/04/Youth_SelfHarm_Suicide_Report.pdf
Self-Harm and Suicide Among Virginia
Youth Aged 9-18 Years, 2015-2021

Christians have any number of explanations (excuses) for why God allows suffering, particularly the suffering of Christians, children, the defenseless, etc. Of course, the suffering happens because of Adam and Eve eating the apple. Adam and Eve ate the apple because the talking serpent convinced them to. The question is why God a) created the serpent, b) allowed the serpent into the Garden and c) allowed it to convince Adam and Eve to eat the apple.

The better question is why God created the serpent knowing, as an all-knowing deity would, that it would cause the Fall of man and directly result in things like the abuse of defenseless children.

Agree.

Back