Theology Question

I don't believe in God.

Do you believe in anything beyond yourself? Are you a solipsist?

https://sciencetheory.net/solipsism/
Literally, ‘only-oneselfism’.

An extreme form of skepticism, saying that nothing exists beyond oneself and one’s immediate experiences.

solipsism.jpg

I don't believe in God. What you said does not follow.

Fine. Disagreed. Solipsism has nothing to do with God or anything beyond your own existence.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-24820,00.htm
Solipsism is Descartes' famous first axiom (I think therefore I am) taken to extremes. It is remarkably difficult to move beyond this first inspired piece of philosophy to go on to prove that everything (anything?) else exists. This is the problem solipsists wrestle with. It is, of course, much simpler (under Occam's razor) to assume that the external world we perceive through our senses actually exists. The untenability of the solipsists argument is best demonstrated by a quote from a devoted solipsist who, at a philosophers convention, stated, "I'm a solipsist. And quite frankly I'm surprised there aren't more of us."
John Mullen, Kitakyushu Japan

Thanks. Do you ever question why there is existence? Is the Universe the ultimate version of "The Sims"? Are you happy to just say "It is what it is" to avoid a headache? You and I can agree there are no magical beings. In fact no ESP, magic or other supernatural violations of our Universe's natural laws.

Still, the fact the Universe has a definite beginning and a predictable end seems a little odd to me. Does it seem odd to you, BP?

Thanks. Do you ever question why there is existence? Is the Universe the ultimate version of "The Sims"? Are you happy to just say "It is what it is" to avoid a headache? You and I can agree there are no magical beings. In fact no ESP, magic or other supernatural violations of our Universe's natural laws.

Still, the fact the Universe has a definite beginning and a predictable end seems a little odd to me. Does it seem odd to you, BP?

I do not know why you are asking me those questions.

I do not know why you are asking me those questions.

It goes with the thread's discussion. You don't have to answer any question that makes you uncomfortable. My philosophy is, "If you can't be yourself on an anonymous internet forum, where can you be yourself?"

Don't know what Sims is.

It was one of the first major computer games with an open world, sandbox format. All of the geezers on JPP would have heard about it. Gen Zers, not so much.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims
The Sims is a series of life simulation video games developed by Maxis and published by Electronic Arts. The franchise has sold nearly 200 million copies worldwide, and it is one of the best-selling video game series of all time.

The games in the Sims series are largely sandbox games, in that they lack any defined goals (except for some later expansion packs and console versions which introduced this gameplay style). The player creates virtual people called "Sims", places them in houses, and helps direct their moods and satisfy their desires. Players can either place their Sims in pre-constructed homes or build them themselves. Each successive expansion pack and game in the series augmented what the player could do with their Sims.

The Sims series is part of the larger Sim series, started by SimCity in 1989.

I don't think the universe has a definite beginning, nor predictable end.

That's an incorrect belief.

https://www.uwa.edu.au/study/-/media/Faculties/Science/Docs/Evidence-for-the-Big-Bang.pdf
Evidence for the Big Bang

The Big Bang theory is an explanation of the early development of the Universe. According to this theory
the Universe expanded from an extremely small, extremely hot, and extremely dense state. Since then it has
expanded and become less dense and cooler. The Big Bang is the best model used by astronomers to explain
the creation of matter, space and time 13.7 billion years ago.

What evidence is there to support the Big Bang theory?
Two major scientific discoveries provide strong support for the Big Bang theory:
• Hubble’s discovery in the 1920s of a relationship between a galaxy’s distance from Earth and its speed; and
• the discovery in the 1960s of cosmic microwave background radiation.

https://astronomy.com/news/magazine...the-universe-the-big-crunch-vs-the-big-freeze
The Beginning to the End of the Universe: The Big Crunch vs. The Big Freeze
These days, astronomers think normal matter comprises just 5 percent of the universe’s contents. Meanwhile, dark matter makes up some 26 percent, and dark energy accounts for the final 69 percent. Dark energy, it turns out, seems to be the real-world force behind Einstein’s cosmological constant, which plays a major role in preventing a Big Crunch-style collapse.

Thanks to the expansion caused by dark energy, within a couple of trillion years, all but the closest galaxies will be too far away to see. Then, perhaps 100 trillion years later, star formation will cease, as dense stellar remnants like white dwarfs and black holes lock up any remaining material.

About a googol years from now — that’s a 1 followed by 100 zeroes — the last objects in the universe, supermassive black holes, will finish evaporating via Hawking radiation. After this, the universe enters a so-called Dark Era, where matter is just a distant memory.

The second law of thermodynamics suggests that entropy will keep increasing in a system (such as the cosmos) until it hits a maximum level. In real terms, that means that at some point, the universe will ultimately reach a state where all energy — and, hence, heat — is uniformly distributed. The final temperature of the entire universe will hover a smidge above absolute zero.

So, rather than mirroring Revelation, the death of our cosmos will likely resemble the beginning of Genesis: All will be empty and dark.

Back