This is what happens when you live in a state run by Republicans

If I ran an insurance company I would have very low rates for people who wore helmets. If you were in a motorcycle accident and were not wearing your helmet I would not pay out a dime to cover medical injury. My contract would state this clearly and I would make wearing a helmet worth it by the savings I would pass on to you by agreeing in writing that you would always wear a helmet. If EVERY insurance company did this. they would save on thousands of claims per year one way or the other. The state would not have to be involved at all. And I say all this as a long time motorcycle rider who only wore helmets when states made me for a very long time. I now wear a helmet anytime I am on a motorcycle.

Soc why didn't you wear a helmet back in the day though? (unless the state forced you to?) Is it because you were young and dumb? Isn't it a small miracle really anytime one of us survives our youth? At least once a week I read about a tragedy in our local paper, a car load of kids killed. I remember when a carload of teens was killed right around the corner from me at a very rough intersection. They weren't drunk, they were inexperienced. Only an experienced driver could get across that intersection. Finally, they put in a light. But it took the deaths of four young lives. And every time, I flash back to an "almost" in my younger years.

What's the big deal about forcing these young idiots, because we are all idiots when we are young, to wear a damned helmet?

i think there is nothing so silly as a fully grown adult sticking it to the man by refusing to wear a seat belt or a helmet, just because the state isn't going to tell him what to do. I'm going to kill myself that'll show you! You know what? Go ahead. I'd even be willing to waive fines for people over, say, 30.

But for the young, lets give them all the help we can to reach adulthood. We all needed help, and a lot of luck, to get here.

If I ran an insurance company I would have very low rates for people who wore helmets. If you were in a motorcycle accident and were not wearing your helmet I would not pay out a dime to cover medical injury. My contract would state this clearly and I would make wearing a helmet worth it by the savings I would pass on to you by agreeing in writing that you would always wear a helmet. If EVERY insurance company did this. they would save on thousands of claims per year one way or the other. The state would not have to be involved at all. And I say all this as a long time motorcycle rider who only wore helmets when states made me for a very long time. I now wear a helmet anytime I am on a motorcycle.
I always wear a helmet. You can't be a firefighter for long and not understand the absolute necessity of helmets and the total stupidity of those who do not wear them.

I agree with this here. Rather than socialize the cost of unhelmeted riders and charge extra to responsible riders, lower the cost to riders who have a brain level above 2 of 10...

Back