Tire-gauge gate, part deux

Onceler

Obama should do an ad on this:

How out of touch is Barack Obama? He's so out of touch that he suggested that if all Americans inflated their tires properly and took their cars for regular tune-ups, they could save as much oil as new offshore drilling would produce. Gleeful Republicans have made this their daily talking point, Rush Limbaugh is having a field day, and the Republican National Committee is sending tire gauges labeled "Barack Obama's Energy Plan" to Washington reporters.

But who's really out of touch? The Bush administration estimates that expanded offshore drilling could increase oil production by 200,000 barrels per day by 2030. We use about 20 million barrels per day, so that would meet about 1% of our demand two decades from now. Meanwhile, efficiency experts say that keeping tires inflated can improve gas mileage by 3%, and regular maintenance can add another 4%. Many drivers already follow their advice, but if everyone else did, we could reduce demand several percentage points immediately. In other words: Obama is right.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1829354,00.html?cnn=yes

That would be Bush, who is once again out of touch with reality.

1) It would not take 22 years to get the oil on line

2) There is an estimated 20 billion barrels of oil off shore... and this is based off of data from the early 80's. Which means with improved technology there is likely more than we can now detect. Obviously we won't know for sure until we actually survey the area again. 20 billion barrels is roughly a 2.5 to 3 year supply of oil.

Funny how you constantly proclaim how much of an idiot Bush is and then try to use Bush's estimate to justify your position.

That would be Bush, who is once again out of touch with reality.

1) It would not take 22 years to get the oil on line

2) There is an estimated 20 billion barrels of oil off shore... and this is based off of data from the early 80's. Which means with improved technology there is likely more than we can now detect. Obviously we won't know for sure until we actually survey the area again. 20 billion barrels is roughly a 2.5 to 3 year supply of oil.

Funny how you constantly proclaim how much of an idiot Bush is and then try to use Bush's estimate to justify your position.

God, you're a fucking moron, Superfreak. The POINT of the article is that Obama's point is not frivolous, or stupid, as the right is claiming. Get it?

On the tire gauge and tuneup thing, how many gallons would that save a year vs pumping ANWR ? And it is an immediate reduction.
You righties belittle it if you will but it is an immediate action that would have immediate results on reducing fuel consumption.

Who do you oppose reducing fuel consumption ?

Keep Your Engine Properly Tuned

Vehicle engine diagramFixing a car that is noticeably out of tune or has failed an emissions test can improve its gas mileage by an average of 4 percent, though results vary based on the kind of repair and how well it is done.

Fixing a serious maintenance problem, such as a faulty oxygen sensor, can improve your mileage by as much as 40 percent.
Fuel Economy Benefit:
4%
Equivalent Gasoline Savings:
$0.16/gallon

Check & Replace Air Filters Regularly

Replacing a clogged air filter can improve your car's gas mileage by as much as 10 percent. Your car's air filter keeps impurities from damaging the inside of your engine. Not only will replacing a dirty air filter save gas, it will protect your engine.
Fuel Economy Benefit:
up to 10%
up to $0.40/gallon

Keep Tires Properly Inflated
Sample tire pressure label You can improve your gas mileage by around 3.3 percent by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure. Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.4 percent for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires. Properly inflated tires are safer and last longer.

Fuel Economy Benefit:
up to 3%
up to $0.12/gallon

Use the Recommended Grade of Motor Oil
API energy conservation labelYou can improve your gas mileage by 1-2 percent by using the manufacturer's recommended grade of motor oil. For example, using 10W-30 motor oil in an engine designed to use 5W-30 can lower your gas mileage by 1-2 percent. Using 5W-30 in an engine designed for 5W-20 can lower your gas mileage by 1-1.5 percent. Also, look for motor oil that says "Energy Conserving" on the API performance symbol to be sure it contains friction-reducing additives.
Fuel Economy Benefit:
1-2%
$0.04-$0.08/gallon

Note: Cost savings are based on an assumed fuel price of $3.96/gallon.

Data Sources

Estimates for fuel savings from vehicle maintenance, keeping tires properly inflated, and using the recommended grade of motor oil are based on studies and literature reviews performed by Energy and Environmental Analysis, Inc., Washington, DC.

Air filter savings based on Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). 1981. Automobile Fuel Consumption in Actual Traffic Conditions. Paris, France. These tests were performed before the introduction of computer-controlled, fuel-injection engines. DOE is currently studying the fuel economy effects of clogged air filters on more modern engines.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml

God, you're a fucking moron, Superfreak. The POINT of the article is that Obama's point is not frivolous, or stupid, as the right is claiming. Get it?

LMAO.... so caught in your stupidity you are going to act like you didn't just try to use a "bush estimate" as evidence of your position?

Also increrase the energy effeciency of your home. Most people use more energy in their homes than in their vehicles,

I figure that if we used effeciency measures in our homers and autos wewould save as much oil as would come from ANWR in a much faster manner,
that way when the ANWR oil arrived it would be just gravy to drop the price.

It is very obvious that the big oil companies do not need their tax and royaloty breaks they hav been still been getiting and do not need, Those funds could be better used to improvr masstransit and alternative energysources,

The problem with Obama's solution is that he is assuming most Americans don't already maintain their cars or keep their tires inflated properly. Seriously is anyone on here dumb enough to not get the oil changes and tune ups? Anyone not putting air in their tires when needed? I know little about cars, but even I know that.

and again.... your article is using Bush estimates to attempt to show that Obama is right.

But I can see why Obama's worshippers would want to use Bush estimates....

"John McCain has been a notable exception. He is not an oilman, he has pushed to regulate carbon emissions, and he opposed Bush's pork-stuffed energy bill, which Obama supported. "

Obama is simply a Bush lackey. Agreeing with Bush on the energy bill. The bill McCain opposed. looks like Obama is really just a third Bush term.

It is commom for my business to tuneup a vehicle and boost it's mileage by 10-15%

And my business is booming :D

LMAO.... so caught in your stupidity you are going to act like you didn't just try to use a "bush estimate" as evidence of your position?

I wish you could understand how retarded you sound.

The point of the article I posted is that Obama's tire gauge comment - which was by no means presented as a "complete solution" and which has been portrayed as such by the right and ridiculed - is not a small or trivial thing when compared to other ideas out there. Even if the "Bush estimate" is way off (god - I barely even noticed that. The fact that you have somehow made it the main focus of your response on this thread speaks volumes. You are a truly retarded person).

Funny how Republicans like Superfraud never mention decreasing demand as part of the equation. And when someone does mention it, they're lampooned.

Obama should do an ad on this:

How out of touch is Barack Obama? He's so out of touch that he suggested that if all Americans inflated their tires properly and took their cars for regular tune-ups, they could save as much oil as new offshore drilling would produce. Gleeful Republicans have made this their daily talking point, Rush Limbaugh is having a field day, and the Republican National Committee is sending tire gauges labeled "Barack Obama's Energy Plan" to Washington reporters.

But who's really out of touch? The Bush administration estimates that expanded offshore drilling could increase oil production by 200,000 barrels per day by 2030. We use about 20 million barrels per day, so that would meet about 1% of our demand two decades from now. Meanwhile, efficiency experts say that keeping tires inflated can improve gas mileage by 3%, and regular maintenance can add another 4%. Many drivers already follow their advice, but if everyone else did, we could reduce demand several percentage points immediately. In other words: Obama is right.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1829354,00.html?cnn=yes

Onceler, you forget. Conservatives are all about "common sense". If "common sense" is completely idiotic and illogical then it's still right. It violates our common sense that producing 1% more oil in 20 years is as good as a 4% immediate drop! We don't need those fancy "facts", we've got our good 'ole common sense.

The problem with Obama's solution is that he is assuming most Americans don't already maintain their cars or keep their tires inflated properly. Seriously is anyone on here dumb enough to not get the oil changes and tune ups? Anyone not putting air in their tires when needed? I know little about cars, but even I know that.

and again.... your article is using Bush estimates to attempt to show that Obama is right.

The problem is this is not "Obama's solution".

The right is selling it as "obama's solution", and to no one's surprise, you bought it, again. How much do they charge you for this shit SF?

Obama's point was that, if every American checked their tire pressure, we would save more gas, and thereby increase supply, right away, tomorrow, then we would with off-shore drilling ten years from now. That is factually correct, apparently.

And if you really believe that everyone gets tune ups before something goes wrong, and are consistently checking their tire pressure, you live in la-la land. Must be something in the water in Colorado.

Obama is sucking ass on this one big time.
1. "Americans you morons fill up you tires"
2. what's the moveon point again " yes it will take for ever and Nancy say's we'll only save 2 cents"
1. Captain ovbious, are you going to tell us to lock our doors in the city now.
There a reason idiot Mcfossil closed by 10% the JUNIOR SENATO IS LISTENING TO THE DEM LEADERSHIP.

Obama is sucking ass on this one big time.
1. "Americans you morons fill up you tires"
2. what's the moveon point again " yes it will take for ever and Nancy say's we'll only save 2 cents"
1. Captain ovbious, are you going to tell us to lock our doors in the city now.
There a reason idiot Mcfossil closed by 10% the JUNIOR SENATO IS LISTENING TO THE DEM LEADERSHIP.

See this is what bothers me. I don't know what to do about this. I really feel like I need to get out of this country. I shouldn't have to live with people this stupid.

McCain is LYING about what Obama said. Obama NEVER said that checking your air pressure would get us off of foreign oil - that is another McCain lie. That's what he does, he lies. And people like you swallow it and then spread it around.

Obama has an energy plan, and tire pressure isn't on it. What Obama said, was, that McCain's plan to solve our energy crisis by off-shore drilling, is stupid, because it doesn't work. And to show how stupid he was, he pointed out that if we drill off shore, we can expect to save 6 cents a gallon TEN FUCKING YEARS FROM NOW, but that if every american checked their air pressure tomorrow, we'd save 12 cents a gallon immediately.

In no way was he saying that's his energy plan. He was just pointing out how ineffective McCain's plan is.

McCain closed in the polls because of these kind of lies, told day after day, lies, slime, and sleaze. Amercans say they don't like negative campaigning, but they love it - if they didnt, it wouldn't work. It works. The democrats have allowed this nasty piece of shit to get away with so much, it amazes and stuns me. That's their fault, that's specifically, Obama's fault. He's a bad candidate. I thought he held off on Hillary because she was a woman and it put him in a risky position to hit her hard. But the fact is, he's just a bad candidate. I don't think he can win. Someone said to me last night, "the way the republicans campaign i don't think any dem can win". That made me think and after about two seconds, I said - you know what? The Clintons could have. Obama didn't beat "the most powerful political family in the country" because he's good. He beat them because the liberal democratic base wanted the more anti-war candidate. So the Clintons never really had a chance with the young, anti-war liberal democratic base. Guess what? They ain't the country. And they don't represent it. Now we're in the general. YOU represent that.

So yeah, he sucks Top? But you suck worse. It's because you and other Americans are so fucking stupid, that this shit works. YOu ARE the lowest common denominator that the repukes play to. How does that feel Top?

This is from the NY Times. Apparently Obama was chatting with them on the plane yesterday:

As for the comparisons with the dysfunctional blonde celebrities (and the accusations of ‘playing the race card’ which Mr. Obama did not mention but were also much in the news), “last week I think was just a series of distractions,” he said. “It felt, I guess, like a squid that sent out ink.” He added: “The question for me is always how do you avoid getting pulled into that kind of politics without getting slapped around.”
Of Mr. McCain, he said that “he brought in a team that is very adept at this kind of politics. This politics has been successful in the last two elections in terms of getting people elected. It has not been successful in governing or bringing the country together to tackle big problems. So we are in a constant internal debate about how we respond to this.”
Regarding himself and his own team, “we’re not always perfect,” he acknowledged. “You make mistakes, sometimes you get caught up in the adrenaline of the process.”
There are, he went on, clear differences between him and Mr. McCain on issues such as taxes, energy and health care. But “my sense was that last week wasn’t about any of that stuff,” he said. “It was all about seeing if they can slap on to me a certain caricature that will help carry them through the election.”
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/05/a-busy-birthday-for-obama/

Obama has his head up his ass on energy and yours too.
Why is the gap going from 12 to 2, he's trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
IT'S CLEAR AS FUCKING DAY. Americans overwhelmingly want drilling.
It's not a republican point you moron, Mcain was against it a month ago. IT'S AN AMERICAN ECONOMY POINT. And Barack can still have it, but he's baffooning himself Pelosi style into this corner. Take from the strategic reserve. Bahhahahah
Get a band aid when heart surgury is needed.
Your Junior college english 101 was obviously not sufficient.

When I read it, I thought "well he seems thoughful about this'. Which is exactly what I thought after I read the Times magazine profile of john kerry in 04, when he thoughtfully dicussed terrorism. So, yeah.

American politics isn't about being thoughful. It's about reacting on the most primal level, like an animal. It's about kicking the other guy in the balls, hard, and then kicking him in the face while hes' still holding his balls.

He's right - Repukes excel at that, and suck at governing, but that won't matter. Obama better start kicking that motherfucker around. The guy doesn't know the differnce between a sunni and shia, and looks completely lost for about a 10 second delay whenever he is asked a question. He can be hit and hit hard. He is not fit for the Presidency, that much is clear. They better start saying it.

Obama has his head up his ass on energy and yours too.
Why is the gap going from 12 to 2, he's trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
IT'S CLEAR AS FUCKING DAY. Americans overwhelmingly want drilling.
It's not a republican point you moron, Mcain was against it a month ago. IT'S AN AMERICAN ECONOMY POINT. And Barack can still have it, but he's baffooning himself Pelosi style into this corner. Take from the strategic reserve. Bahhahahah
Get a band aid when heart surgury is needed.
Your Junior college english 101 was obviously not sufficient.

Shut the fuck up top, I was talking to someone who actually knows what's going on. Myself.

Fucking fool.

Back