Uh-oh, Reedy Creek will outlast DeSantis!

Disney is definitely moving out of Florida. This is a huge opportunity for many other states.

This is a huge loss for Florida, and for Disney. Disney owns 30,000 acres of Florida land, much of it is highly developed. Giving that up will be painful for everyone... Everyone except states like Texas, Colorado, Georgia, California, New York, Virginia, and basically all the 49 states that will be trying to get the goose that laid the golden eggs away from Florida.
How much how much will it cost them to move? And which state is the lucky one?

DeSantis will try to kill the Golden Goose, but I'm not sure he can. This appears to be Trumpian Bukkake theater. <-joke

Kabuki theater.

I am not sure its anything but a headfake while relieving Disney of taxes they once took on, but no longer want.

Disney was DeSantis's largest donor.

Failure to pay government bonds is scary stuff. Florida made those bonds worthless, by removing the taxes they depend on to be repaid. If they refuse to pay, the bond markets will clobber them.

I know trump and Desantis think everything is just public relations, but there are real numbers out there too. If you do not service your debt, you do not get more loans.
trump and DeathSentence's every move is dependent on political/personal gain.

There is never much deep thought involved, which is why the Right loves both of them.

If getting rid of Reedy Creek would save Disney millions they would have lobbied and had this done decades ago. I will say only that reality will not match the leftist predictions in this thread and that Disney will pay their debt and pay more in taxes now that they can't just "pay themselves" taxes for services that they will now receive a tax bill for...

Someone should save a link and bring it back up once things settle. We can revisit this. I'll happily say I was wrong if it turns out that Disney is "making out like a bandit" and that the debt is being paid for by the county and not Disney.

You dont see that they are done developing the site after 50 years, and in this new phase, now that they have it set up the way they like it, they would want to unload their tax burden?

Its amazing that it appears they never really cared about the Constitution, they were just pretending all along.

Agreed. Authoritarianism is incompatible with American ideals and our Constitution. They are all traitors...and many in the Republican Party are pedos or pedo supporters. Sad.

If getting rid of Reedy Creek would save Disney millions they would have lobbied and had this done decades ago. I will say only that reality will not match the leftist predictions in this thread and that Disney will pay their debt and pay more in taxes now that they can't just "pay themselves" taxes for services that they will now receive a tax bill for...

Someone should save a link and bring it back up once things settle. We can revisit this. I'll happily say I was wrong if it turns out that Disney is "making out like a bandit" and that the debt is being paid for by the county and not Disney.

Are you okay with this being a reaction to Disneys expression of a political opinion?

Doubtful that they'll just leave the building like tenants from Trump Tower.

Not a business guy, but my understanding is that DeSantis is blowing smoke out of his fat ass and he can't actually cancel the contract. Time will tell if Herr DeSantis will keep trying to limit the First Amendment for corporations in Florida.

Although I doubt Disney would relocate the resort, any expansion plans will probably be put on hold and possibly relocated themselves. The present facilities will continue to be used, albeit at higher costs to residents and visitors.

In the end, I think this will come back to haunt DeSantis as will the actions of all Trumpian traitors, terrorists and fellatists.
Agree. Disney wouldn't move unless a different state foots the entire bill a la the NFL.

I don't see them moving to a cold weather state regardless.

I now believe archives was correct. DeathSentence doesn't care about Disney. He will tuck his tail and declare 'never mind'. The special session was more about ramming through illegal voting districts.

I am not sure its anything but a headfake while relieving Disney of taxes they once took on, but no longer want.

Disney was DeSantis's largest donor.

Time will tell. I'm curious to see how it plays out but think it will end up haunting DeSantis in the end. Hate, bigotry and authoritarianism is always bad.

Agreed. Authoritarianism is incompatible with American ideals and our Constitution. They are all traitors...and many in the Republican Party are pedos or pedo supporters. Sad.

Not all of them, but it seems a greater number than the Democrats.

Disney is definitely moving out of Florida. This is a huge opportunity for many other states.

This is a huge loss for Florida, and for Disney. Disney owns 30,000 acres of Florida land, much of it is highly developed. Giving that up will be painful for everyone... Everyone except states like Texas, Colorado, Georgia, California, New York, Virginia, and basically all the 49 states that will be trying to get the goose that laid the golden eggs away from Florida.
It's such a massive undertaking, I think Disney stays put and laughs all the way to the bank as this plays out.

"In contrast, another stockholder complained to Chapek that "your recent Magical Pride Days and your upcoming LGBTQ Pride March this year is a blatant attempt at indoctrinating children and attendees towards a certain political ideology." He also expressed concern that transgender themes are getting into Disney's creative content.

"My question to you today is: Would it not be beneficial both to you and the millions of Disney lovers around the world to ditch the politicization and gender ideology from your content aimed at children and instead try to win back the trust of families by sliding away from politics altogether? And reverting back to the magic and innocence that has been the founding motive for its success?"
usatoday.com

Time will tell. I'm curious to see how it plays out but think it will end up haunting DeSantis in the end. Hate, bigotry and authoritarianism is always bad.

In the short run, they are going to reward DeSantis for punishing free speech.

"In contrast, another stockholder complained to Chapek that "your recent Magical Pride Days and your upcoming LGBTQ Pride March this year is a blatant attempt at indoctrinating children and attendees towards a certain political ideology." He also expressed concern that transgender themes are getting into Disney's creative content.

"My question to you today is: Would it not be beneficial both to you and the millions of Disney lovers around the world to ditch the politicization and gender ideology from your content aimed at children and instead try to win back the trust of families by sliding away from politics altogether? And reverting back to the magic and innocence that has been the founding motive for its success?"
usatoday.com

Anyone has a right to express such an opinion. I think having a pride day helps break the harm causing cycle of shame on homosexuality and our younger homosexual population.

Are you okay with this being a reaction to Disneys expression of a political opinion?

Not any more than I am with the cities that changed zoning, tax code and permits to keep Chick-Fil-A from their streets for one person's political expression.

In my world Disney wouldn't have received special dispensation to create their own special tax district where they "taxed themselves". Now if they really intended to "punish" Disney for what they said they would try to take away the $578M in tax credits for building new housing, etc. for employees being brought over from California. Of course those are tax credits that any corporation can get from Florida.

Do you really believe that Disney will "make out like a bandit" from this? I'm asking so that we know what you really think now and for entertainment value once we get back to this in the future. If I'm wrong I will say so. Will you?

As I said earlier (it's possible I typed it and deleted it as things evolved) I would have advised DeSantis not to do this. Folks who run Disney get to say things that you disagree with...

Agree. Disney wouldn't move unless a different state foots the entire bill a la the NFL.

I don't see them moving to a cold weather state regardless.

I now believe archives was correct. DeathSentence doesn't care about Disney. He will tuck his tail and declare 'never mind'. The special session was more about ramming through illegal voting districts.

Agreed this is more of a smoke screen for redistricting, but DeSantis can't just ignore the homophobia he's pushing and the negative publicity he's creating for himself across the nation.

Yes, he has a lock on winning reelection as governor but I think this will blow up his chances of becoming President. He's a mini-me Trump and most Americans dislike Trump more than Biden. Conversely, the Republicans have an edge in the mid-terms but not in 2024 with Trump heading the ticket.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/14/gop-is-gaining-post-trump-trump-not-so-much/
Interesting twist in the new WSJ poll today: 15% of U.S. voters say they don't like either Biden or Trump—but while these voters prefer Biden (+12) over Trump in a 2024 matchup, they pick Republicans (+13) over Democrats on the 2022 midterm ballot.

Back