Ummm...never mind

Cancel7

Banned
The reason Republicans are against raising taxes on oil companies is because it wouldn’t work! Republicans are smart! Investing money in alternate energy is how we will wean ourselves off of oil! Wake up libtards! Republicans are not whores who the oil companies have paid for and who get on their knees and say “what should I do today master?” They are trying to go about this in a smart way!

Ummmm….

“Separately, Democrats also failed to get Republican support for a proposal to extend tax breaks for wind, solar and other alternative energy development, and for the promotion of energy efficiency and conservation. The tax breaks have either expired or are scheduled to end this year.”

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/republicans-block-new-tax-on-oil-profits/20080610123009990001

I wonder how deep republican committment to publically supporting alternative energy really is.

They laughed at Jimmy Carter for two decades about that.

I just don't see them turning on a dime that fast, and getting "religion" about publically supporting alternative energy. Other than Iraq and Pentagon, I've never seen a republican get excited about spending tax revenue on anything.

"“Separately, Democrats also failed to get Republican support for a proposal to extend tax breaks for wind, solar and other alternative energy development, and for the promotion of energy efficiency and conservation. The tax breaks have either expired or are scheduled to end this year.”

Christ; something as simple as tax breaks. That one's a virtual no brainer, unless you're on big oil's payroll.

But I've been assured so many times today that reps in Congress are not on big oil's payroll, and that everything that's done in the industry is on the up & up. I'm sleeping easy tonight; this whole thing will take care of itself.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/03/news/economy/energy_manipulation_hearing/index.htm

Speculation boosts oil prices
Recent investor interest in commodities is an issue of intense debate. Though some analysts say market fundamentals are playing a large role in the doubling of oil prices in a one-year span - driven by strong global demand and a shrinking supply - others believe that commodities investors have boosted the price of crude with speculative trading, treating oil as a hedge against inflation due to the weakened dollar.

"We have what I think is a speculative bubble, and the laws of bubbles is that all bubbles burst," said Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D. "The problem is, this bubble is causing a dramatic amount of damage to our economy and to individuals."

Nearly all of the witnesses agreed that speculation has artificially boosted the price of oil.

"Excessive speculation on energy trading facilities is the fuel that is driving this runaway train in crude oil prices today," said Gerry Ramm, president of Inland Oil Company.

Others tried to quantify the scope that speculation has had on crude costs.

"We're paying, some believe, as high as a 50% premium to the pockets of speculators that are operating in markets that are completely unpoliced," said Michael Greenburger, a University of Maryland professor and former CFTC official. "At least 70% of the US crude oil market is driven by speculators and not people with commercial interests."

Mark Cooper, director of research at consumer rights organization Consumer Federation of America, said $40 of oil's current price is "baloney" and can be chalked up to speculation, though Soros called that an exaggeration.

Soros said the increasing cost of discovering new oil reserves, diminished supply, foreign subsidies on petroleum product prices, and speculation have all contributed to higher prices - a "bubble" that may not burst until prices become so high that they drag the economy into a recession.

"Only when a recession is well and truly in place is a decline in consumption likely to outweigh the other factors."

The windfall profits bill would have imposed a 25 percent tax on profits over what would be determined "reasonable" when compared to profits several years ago. The oil companies could have avoided the tax if they invested the money in alternative energy projects or refinery expansion. It also would have rescinded oil company tax breaks — worth $17 billion over the next 10 years — with the revenue to be used for tax incentives to producers of wind, solar and other alternative energy sources as well as for energy conservation.

The legislation also would:

-- Require traders to put up more collateral in the energy futures markets and open the way for federal regulation of traders who are based in the United States but use foreign trading platforms. The measures are designed to reduce market speculation.

-- Make oil and gas price gouging a federal crime, with stiff penalties of up to $5 million during a presidentially declared energy emergency.

-- Authorize the Justice Department to bring charges of price fixing against countries that belong to the OPEC oil cartel.

"“Separately, Democrats also failed to get Republican support for a proposal to extend tax breaks for wind, solar and other alternative energy development, and for the promotion of energy efficiency and conservation. The tax breaks have either expired or are scheduled to end this year.”

Christ; something as simple as tax breaks. That one's a virtual no brainer, unless you're on big oil's payroll.

But I've been assured so many times today that reps in Congress are not on big oil's payroll, and that everything that's done in the industry is on the up & up. I'm sleeping easy tonight; this whole thing will take care of itself.

Oh yeah me too. The high IQ crowd, Sf, Topper and Cawacko say so. Never mind how the Republicans actually vote! That’s just nit-picking.

IM for the extension of the alt energy benefits but against open ended windfall taxes against a targeted 5 American companies. how should i vote if i was a senator?

The reason Republicans are against raising taxes on oil companies is because it wouldn’t work! Republicans are smart! Investing money in alternate energy is how we will wean ourselves off of oil! Wake up libtards! Republicans are not whores who the oil companies have paid for and who get on their knees and say “what should I do today master?” They are trying to go about this in a smart way!

Ummmm….

“Separately, Democrats also failed to get Republican support for a proposal to extend tax breaks for wind, solar and other alternative energy development, and for the promotion of energy efficiency and conservation. The tax breaks have either expired or are scheduled to end this year.”

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/republicans-block-new-tax-on-oil-profits/20080610123009990001

Put the alt energy up as stand alone and see if it passes. If it doesn't THEN you have a valid point. But including the alt energy in a broader energy bill that may contain items that they do not support and then acting like this was killed due to alt energy is a tad dishonest.

IM for the extension of the alt energy benefits but against open ended windfall taxes against a targeted 5 American companies. how should i vote if i was a senator?

I guess you missed the “separately” part huh Chap?

Who’s Top calling Duhla?

they were seperate items.

But the alt energy was lumped into a broad energy bill and I would be willing to be they nixed it due to what Desh just posted.

Put the alt energy up as stand alone and see if it passes. If it doesn't THEN you have a valid point. But including the alt energy in a broader energy bill that may contain items that they do not support and then acting like this was killed due to alt energy is a tad dishonest.

very similar to their extension of the death tax proposal... dems like to bundle irrelevant shit together. I have seen pubs do it as well. Things need up or down votes stand alone.

What part of separately do these “economic gurus” not understand?

very similar to their extension of the death tax proposal... dems like to bundle irrelevant shit together. I have seen pubs do it as well. Things need up or down votes stand alone.

No, because if they (both parties) put shit up as stand alone they would be in danger of actually getting something done that benefited this country.

Alt energy subsidies should be put up as stand alone right now... No way in hell they should expire just because the two parties want to attach unrelated crap to them in an effort to pass the crap.

they were seperate items.

But the alt energy was lumped into a broad energy bill and I would be willing to be they nixed it due to what Desh just posted.

Oh you’d be willing to say that would you? Based on your ass?

Look at all the pukes wiggle people. We have ourselves some fine paid tap dancers here. Come on hacks, dance for us some more.

What part of separately do these “economic gurus” not understand?

It was seperate from the windfall tax Darla. Had you read your own article you would have noticed that the alt energy subsidies were lumped into a broader $50 billion energy bill.

Thanks for playing. You lose.

I think that based on this thread we have all concluded the following:

-Republicans are paid whores in the service of oil companies.

-Superfreak and Chap are Republican hacks.

So anyway, dance some more for us, hacks. Do some spins.

Oh you’d be willing to say that would you? Based on your ass?

Look at all the pukes wiggle people. We have ourselves some fine paid tap dancers here. Come on hacks, dance for us some more.

Yes, I would, given that Desh has posted about 50 times today on the subject of how those items were sponsored by Gramm and passed by the Rep Congress in 2000.... yeah, I would guess they are not too eager to see them reversed.

Like I said, get your Dems to put them up as stand alone and see what happens.

But no, you will continue your little spin and pretend they were all by their lonesome and those evil Reps voted against alt energy and not the crap that was attached to it.

Back