US has dropped to 42nd on list of world life expectancy

I don’t know how people feed their children healthy food. The price of food has just skyrocketed. And I shop in an organic grocery store. If you don’t, you are feeding your children pesticides, assuming you are giving them fresh fruit and vegetables. One head of organic broccoli is 4.79. One bunch of organic asparagus is over seven dollars. One orange is 1.69.

You’d have to make a lot of money to be able to fill your kids up with healthy food. So most Americans, struggling, buy the cheapest food they can, and cheap food is processed and filled with crap and high-fructose corn syrup and the kids are hungry and hour later. And good eating habits are never formed. It’s just a bad situation and there are many reasons for it, but being “lazy” is really not one of them.

While I do prefer organic foods, it is not necessary to buy organic to eat healthy.

Generic oatmeal... double serving .... 35 cents bananna... 20 cents. Great way to start the day. 55 cents.

Fast food alternative... McDonalds dollar menu.... one piece of crap... $1.00. Some crappy sugar filled generic cereal... yeah, that also costs more.

You can do the same for lunch and dinner.

people are lazy for not exercising as well. Very few people out there who cannot find 30 minutes a day to exercise.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/obesity-health-risks

"Someone who is 40% overweight is twice as likely to die prematurely as is an average-weight person. This is because obesity has been linked to several serious medical conditions, including:

Heart disease and stroke.
High blood pressure.
Diabetes.
Cancer.
Gallbladder disease and gallstones.
Osteoarthritis.
Gout.
Breathing problems, such as sleep apnea (when a person stops breathing for a short time during sleep) and asthma. "

For the third time, I understand that obesity leads to lower life expectancy. The issue I am trying to discuss with you is whether obesity is the primary factor behind the low life expectancy int he United States. You aren't helping to move this conversation forward at all.

Here is a coincidental fact for you: The United States is ranked 42nd in life expectancy according to this study and is 42nd in infant mortality according tot he CIA world fact book. Let that bake your noodle.

I don’t know how people feed their children healthy food. The price of food has just skyrocketed. And I shop in an organic grocery store. If you don’t, you are feeding your children pesticides, assuming you are giving them fresh fruit and vegetables. One head of organic broccoli is 4.79. One bunch of organic asparagus is over seven dollars. One orange is 1.69.

You’d have to make a lot of money to be able to fill your kids up with healthy food. So most Americans, struggling, buy the cheapest food they can, and cheap food is processed and filled with crap and high-fructose corn syrup and the kids are hungry and hour later. And good eating habits are never formed. It’s just a bad situation and there are many reasons for it, but being “lazy” is really not one of them.

Safeway has an organic food line in the Vons that I frequent. I buy frozen mostly and some fresh. The frozen it turns out is actually better for you because its allowed to ripen before harvest then frozen immediately. Its still very expensive and Ill tell you from having a kid there are ages they simply refuse to eat veggies. I would grind up brocoli and put it in spagetti sauce and crap just to get it in him and my hubby. I can just see a poor mom looking at it and going Oh hell they wont eat it anyway.

I really do fear childern are going hungry because of the cost of food now.

I would guess yes. We throw away enough food to feed at least a major portion of those who are starving, let alone the extra we consume.

I know it’s disgusting, just reading the article made me sick. One thing that I have been doing lately is splitting plates at restaurants. Even at high-end places they give you way too much food! So my boyfriend and I decided to start splitting an entrée. Some places probably think it’s because we are cheap, but they charge you an extra fee for it, and it’s not about that. (which they probably realize once they write up my martini bill) You just get to the point where you really feel like, you know, this is gross. At least, we did.

For the third time, I understand that obesity leads to lower life expectancy. The issue I am trying to discuss with you is whether obesity is the primary factor behind the low life expectancy int he United States. You aren't helping to move this conversation forward at all.

Here is a coincidental fact for you: The United States is ranked 42nd in life expectancy according to this study and is 42nd in infant mortality according tot he CIA world fact book. Let that bake your noodle.

That's very interesting. That's health care access.

Safeway has an organic food line in the Vons that I frequent. I buy frozen mostly and some fresh. The frozen it turns out is actually better for you because its allowed to ripen before harvest then frozen immediately. Its still very expensive and Ill tell you from having a kid there are ages they simply refuse to eat veggies. I would grind up brocoli and put it in spagetti sauce and crap just to get it in him and my hubby. I can just see a poor mom looking at it and going Oh hell they wont eat it anyway.

I really do fear childern are going hungry because of the cost of food now.

Me too. It's weighing on me because I know i have wasted a lot of food in my life. I have thrown out so much food just because company was gone and I "don't want it around".

I know it’s disgusting, just reading the article made me sick. One thing that I have been doing lately is splitting plates at restaurants. Even at high-end places they give you way too much food! So my boyfriend and I decided to start splitting an entrée. Some places probably think it’s because we are cheap, but they charge you an extra fee for it, and it’s not about that. (which they probably realize once they write up my martini bill) You just get to the point where you really feel like, you know, this is gross. At least, we did.
Doubtless we agree. I ask for a box as soon as the order comes, I take half the food and keep it for later and eat my fill then put the rest in as well.

Way too much food.

It's a recent thing too. It is hard to get past the habit of cramming it all in because you don't "leave anything on your plate" as our parents taught us.

my wife and I almost always split at restraunts and are fully when we leave. Never get appatisers or desert. Always ask how people can eat that much, my comment is look around, the average person has us by 50lbs easy.

Yes, I understand your desire to pin the life expectancy on infant mortality. Why is our infant mortality so high when compared to other nations? Could it be that we will bring more at risk pregnancies to full term? Does every nation count live births the same?

Bottom line is this... so far as I have read, we do not know why exactly our infant mortality is higher.

Obesity on the other hand has been shown time and again to reduce life expectancy as shown by all the increases in health risks listed from Webmd.

Given the typical one or two years of additional life expectancy in Europe over the US, I would venture to guess that we could eliminate the gap if we improved our obesity rates to be equivalent of theirs.

This is not to say that infant mortality is not a concern or that you could be correct in stating that it also has a big effect on life expectancy. I believe it too plays a part. I could care less which is the greater of the two. All I know is both are a factor in our life expectancy differentials. Obesity we can control with exercise and better eating habits.

Doubtless we agree. I ask for a box as soon as the order comes, I take half the food and keep it for later and eat my fill then put the rest in as well.

Way too much food.

It's a recent thing too. It is hard to get past the habit of cramming it all in because you don't "leave anything on your plate" as our parents taught us.

One of the main reasons I do not eat out much. The other is you just don't know what is in the food/sauces or the quality of the ingredients. I prefer to cook it myself. That way I get the amount I want, cooked the way I want, with the spices I like.

We were looking for new tableware some time ago (they call it silverware down here). Ended up not buying anything because the size of the forks and spoons was nothing short of gargantuan -- just slightly smaller than the serving spoons & forks in our old set. My first thought was no wonder so many Americans are so fat; look at the size of the utensils they have to use for each bite of food!

We've visited this before, but the levels of prescription drugs in our drinking water may be another source for concern with respect to obesity. Filtration and treatment systems can deal with some of this, but one important element -- estrogen -- is not broken down. About half of us here are in a position to know what estrogen can do to your weight, n'est-ce pas? One of my best friends is doing her dissertation in this area, trying to develop a means of breaking down or digesting the estrogen molecule so that it becomes inert.

For the rest, overeating and lack of exercise (good call on the lawnmowing example, usc! :D) are the primary causes of obesity.

I haven't seen the latest list, but aren't heart attack and stroke (fueled in large part by high blood pressure, btw) among the leading causes of death in the US?

One of the main reasons I do not eat out much. The other is you just don't know what is in the food/sauces or the quality of the ingredients. I prefer to cook it myself. That way I get the amount I want, cooked the way I want, with the spices I like.

Same here.

Won't eat leftovers ? Heck they are better than the first time around with some things. Pinto beans for example, Chili, soup, etc.
And leftovers are most of what goes into my homemade soup. Excess steak from cooking out, etc goes into the freezer for the soup pot.

We were looking for new tableware some time ago (they call it silverware down here). Ended up not buying anything because the size of the forks and spoons was nothing short of gargantuan -- just slightly smaller than the serving spoons & forks in our old set. My first thought was no wonder so many Americans are so fat; look at the size of the utensils they have to use for each bite of food!

We've visited this before, but the levels of prescription drugs in our drinking water may be another source for concern with respect to obesity. Filtration and treatment systems can deal with some of this, but one important element -- estrogen -- is not broken down. About half of us here are in a position to know what estrogen can do to your weight, n'est-ce pas? One of my best friends is doing her dissertation in this area, trying to develop a means of breaking down or digesting the estrogen molecule so that it becomes inert.

For the rest, overeating and lack of exercise (good call on the lawnmowing example, usc! :D) are the primary causes of obesity.

I haven't seen the latest list, but aren't heart attack and stroke (fueled in large part by high blood pressure, btw) among the leading causes of death in the US?

I haven't seen the numbers recently, but yes, heart disease, stroke, respirtory problems, diabetes are all typically in the top 6 causes of death. Cancer tends to be number one.

and looking again at webmd's list of things obesity increases the risk of....

"This is because obesity has been linked to several serious medical conditions, including:

High blood pressure.
Diabetes.

Cancer.
Osteoarthritis.
Gout.
Breathing problems, such as sleep apnea (when a person stops breathing for a short time during sleep) and asthma. "

I haven't seen the numbers recently, but yes, heart disease, stroke, respirtory problems, diabetes are all typically in the top 6 causes of death. Cancer tends to be number one.

and looking again at webmd's list of things obesity increases the risk of....

"This is because obesity has been linked to several serious medical conditions, including:

High blood pressure.
Diabetes.

Cancer.
Osteoarthritis.
Gout.

Exactly. You can probably include gallbladder disease in that as well, because excessive intake of fried foods can lead to development of gallstones.

Type II diabetes (insensitivity to insulin, vs. Type I which is a failure to produce insulin) is linked to obesity; rarely occurs in people who are at a healthy weight. Actually this is one of the side effects of the antipsychotic drugs we're researching, and one that we're trying to eliminate. Demographic data on those patients indicates a higher than average intake of sweets and sweetened beverages.

Back