Vasquezrocks

Here are 16 brands associated with DCM in dogs. Some of them are high-end, such as Fromm. I would rather use Hill's or Iams than these grain free diets with little to no veterinary nutritional oversight.

The brands are ordered by the number of cases linked to them, which ranged from a high of 67 to 10:

• Acana
  • Zignature
  • Taste of the Wild
  • 4Health
  • Earthborn Holistic
  • Blue Buffalo
  • Nature’s Domain
  • Fromm
  • Merrick
  • California Natural
  • Natural Balance
  • Orijen
  • Nature’s Variety
  • NutriSource
  • Nutro
  • Rachael Ray Nutrish

I have found that many vets know little about dietary needs. In my area, many get kickbacks from Hill’s and Iam’s to push their product. DCM is more associated with large chested dogs than anything else.

Look at your labels. Meat “by-products” as a major source, corn or corn meal, too -it’s shit. Anything appearing on the label before the vitamin E or fat, is considered a major product.

The DCM thing is not news. I’ve know about it for quite some time. It’s not the GF that seems to be the issue, but the addition of high amounts of lentils. The most number of cases for any food was 67. Hardly a statistical blip.

Last edited:
I have found that many vets know little about dietary needs. In my area, many get kickbacks from Hill’s and Iam’s to push their product. DCM is more associated with large chested dogs than anything else.

Look at your labels. Meat “by-products” as a major source, corn or corn meal, too -it’s shit. Anything appearing on the label
before the vitamin E or fat, is considered a major product.

It sounds as though vets are sometimes like human physicians -- pushing stuff on their patients because a food or pharm company provides benefits to doing so.

We haven't had a dog companion for many, many years. Question: Is it difficult to fix a nutritious and balanced diet for them using your own ingredients, like you do for your human family?

It sounds as though vets are sometimes like human physicians -- pushing stuff on their patients because a food or pharm company provides benefits to doing so.

We haven't had a dog companion for many, many years. Question: Is it difficult to fix a nutritious and balanced diet for them using your own ingredients, like you do for your human family?

They can't eat many human foods. Here are a few no no's.

Macadamia nuts
Garlic
Onions
Avocados
Chocolate
Cured Bacon
Raisins
Paprika
Nutmeg
Alcohol
Processed meats
Cherries
Raw meats

They can't eat many human foods. Here are a few no no's.

Macadamia nuts
Garlic
Onions
Avocados
Chocolate
Cured Bacon
Raisins
Paprika
Nutmeg
Alcohol
Processed meats
Cherries
Raw meats

A lot of those are no-nos for many animals, including avians. Raw meat though -- what is the problem with that? Have they lost the ability to fully digest it?

I was thinking more of a person preparing some sort of special cooked burger for his/her dog every day, amount based on the body weight and activity level of the dog. Maybe rotating ground turkey, chicken, and lean beef, with a "filler" of whole grain flour/crumbs, some nutritionally-dense minced veggies, and vet-recommended supplementary vitamins.

Of course, given what a lot of working parents feed their human children, this might be far too much work for the avg. dog person.

Please do!We wait to hear from you!

lC8NLRB.jpg

:laugh:

Back