Vigilantes in Oakland

cawacko

More "gun nuts".

Oakland Neighbors Policing Their Own Streets As They Lose Faith In Cops

Oakland’s crime problems have gotten so bad that some people aren’t even bothering to call the cops anymore; instead, they’re trying to solve and prevent crimes themselves.

KPIX 5 cameras caught up with a half dozen neighbors in East Oakland’s Arcadia Park neighborhood Monday as they walked the streets on the lookout for crime. The vigilance has never seemed more necessary than now; 25 homes in the neighborhood have been burglarized over the last two months alone.

In a neighborhood that has started to feel like the wild west, people have even started posting “wanted” signs.

You have to walk around in your house with a gun to feel safe here,” said Alaska Tarvins of the Arcadia Park Board of Directors.

Over the weekend, one home was burglarized twice in a 24 hour period, once while a resident’s nephew was inside.

“He was on with 911 when those men tried to kick into his room. That was very frightening,” said the woman, identified only as Inca.

Now, Arcadia park neighbors are taking the detective work into their own hands.

KPIX 5 found a woman who identified herself as L.E. patrolling her neighborhood by car. She said she recently chased down a couple of robbers herself.

“There was an armed robbery in progress and the owner yelled ‘help me’ and I ended up going after them,” L.E. recalled.

The people who live in the area are nothing if not gutsy, but they need help. A plan to gate their community has been stalled. With the police force stretched painfully thin, they may be forced to follow other Oakland neighborhoods and hire private guards.

“We don’t have a choice. Either die or we hire some security ourselves, because we can’t depend on the police department,” said Tarvins.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...cing-their-streets-as-they-lose-faith-in-opd/

Similar things are taking shape in Detroit/Wayne county as well, as the police have openly stated they won't answer all 911 calls now, and the ones they do respond to may take multiple hours.

According to String they should not be watching or protecting their own neighborhoods, they should just wait on the cops.

I thought of this article when reading that thread. Leaving the Martin/Zimmerman case out of it I'd be curious what others think of the community watch policing program? You see the signs in neighborhoods all over the country. As this article stated Oakland is in such bad shape some people don't have a choice but to watch their neighborhoods themselves.

According to String they should not be watching or protecting their own neighborhoods, they should just wait on the cops.

Yeah, fucking Oakland and gated condos near Disney World are different contexts. A boy WALKING WHILE BLACK and those fleeing from a just witnessed crime are a different context as well.

Btw, there was no problem of police response in the Martin case.

I thought of this article when reading that thread. Leaving the Martin/Zimmerman case out of it I'd be curious what others think of the community watch policing program? You see the signs in neighborhoods all over the country. As this article stated Oakland is in such bad shape some people don't have a choice but to watch their neighborhoods themselves.

The Martin/Zimmerman case has placed the idea of vigilante/neighborhood watch under the microscope.

The first time one of these gun nuts guns down an innocent person it's going to be over for these vigilantes. Relatives of the victim will sue the shooter for evry penny they've got.

The Martin/Zimmerman case has placed the idea of vigilante/neighborhood watch under the microscope.

The first time one of these gun nuts guns down an innocent person it's going to be over for these vigilantes. Relatives of the victim will sue the shooter for evry penny they've got.

The question is what would you (by you I mean anyone of us) do if you lived in a neighborhood with lots of crime and you know the police wouldn't respond? The obvious answer if you have money is to move. But assuming these people can't afford it I can't say I really blame them for getting together and walking the streets of their neighborhood trying to get the thugs off the street and if that means arming themselves to protect their property (and life) because the police won't again, I see where their coming from.

You read about parents who are afraid to let their kids play in front of their house because of the violence. That's just not right.

In this area of Oakland these people basically have nothing so suing them isn't going to get someone very far.

The question is what would you (by you I mean anyone of us) do if you lived in a neighborhood with lots of crime and you know the police wouldn't respond? The obvious answer if you have money is to move. But assuming these people can't afford it I can't say I really blame them for getting together and walking the streets of their neighborhood trying to get the thugs off the street and if that means arming themselves to protect their property (and life) because the police won't again, I see where their coming from.

You read about parents who are afraid to let their kids play in front of their house because of the violence. That's just not right.

What I would do if the police refused to respond is pester the hell out of them with phone call after phone call night and day until someone does something about my problem.

It's not my job to protect my neighbors...it's the cop's. I don't expect them to come to my place of employment and do my job and it's not my responsibility to do their job.

why won't you channel your faux outrage against COPS that kill innocent people??????

What I would do if the police refused to respond is pester the hell out of them with phone call after phone call night and day until someone does something about my problem.

It's not my job to protect my neighbors...it's the cop's. I don't expect them to come to my place of employment and do my job and it's not my responsibility to do their job.
I would dearly love to see the look of outrage and disbelief on your face as they arrested you for harassment for doing the above. it would be ironic justice and karma for you.

In this case the issue isn't the police not wanting to do their job it's there are not enough policemen in the city to service all the needs and the city doesn't has enough money to hire more officers. So one could call and call but if no officers are available to come what do you do?

I wouldn't care...someone shoots a relative of mine who is innocent and I would make it my mission to destroy their life.
unless it's a cop, of course. they get extra concessions since they are the 'trained experts' who accidentally shot your innocent relative. that you can't see the irony in that is ridiculous

I would dearly love to see the look of outrage and disbelief on your face as they arrested you for harassment for doing the above. it would be ironic justice and karma for you.

Of course you would, because you're just the kind of petty, vindictive little crybaby who gets off on that kind of thing...LMAO!

I wouldn't care...someone shoots a relative of mine who is innocent and I would make it my mission to destroy their life.

In this case we were talking about robberies. Commiting a robbery may not be worthy of being shot but I also wouldn't call committing a robbery something innocent either.

In this case we were talking about robberies. Commiting a robbery may not be worthy of being shot but I also wouldn't call committing a robbery something innocent either.

As I stated earlier, one of these days one of those vigilantes is going to shoot an innocent victim...when that happens they better have a really good lawyer because their ass is going to get sued.

As I stated earlier, one of these days one of those vigilantes is going to shoot an innocent victim...when that happens they better have a really good lawyer because their ass is going to get sued.
so those two new york cops that injured 9 other people should be sued? how about the LAPD for shooting the 5 innocents that they 'mistook' for Dorner?

Back