Voltaire and God

I do understand them. YOU obviously do not. But, if you want to think there is parity between questions about the ultimate truth of the REALITY of existence and Santa Claus...

...fine with me.

I do love a good laugh.

If you apply a philosophy to A and B is the same thing, when do you not apply it to B?

Simple question. Be free to avoid engaging it.

The ultimate origin, purpose, and meaning of reality and human life (aka, religion) is not in any way comparable to a children's fairytale like Santa Claus.

To even attempt to demand people accept them as equivalent is an insult to everyone's intelligence.
This is all he has got, Cypress.

Ultimately it comes down to these items:

ONE: My take on the question of whether there are any gods or not.

I do not know if any GOD (or gods) exist or not;
I see no reason to suspect that gods cannot exist…that the existence of a GOD or gods is impossible;
I see no reason to suspect that at least one GOD must exist...that the existence of at least one GOD is needed to explain existence;
I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction on whether any gods exist or not...so I don't.

(When I use the word "GOD or gods" here, I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF SUCH AN ENTITY OR ENTITIES ACTUALLY EXIST.)

I haven’t heard any presentation from any of these supposed atheists that comes even close to being as comprehensive or rational…nor have I seen any of them present a coherent argument to rebut any of those comments…or that improves any of them to any significant degree.

TWO: I am saying that the word “atheist” simply means too many different things to different people to be of any use in this kind of discussion. When someone says, “I am an atheist”…I have no idea of what they actually mean…which of the many different definitions apply. So, I have suggested it would be a better plan to actually for atheists to actually give a perspective of what they mean…rather than use a descriptor that can be misunderstood.

THREE: It has become obvious that just as theists cannot acknowledge that “There is a GOD” is nothing more than a guess…atheists cannot acknowledge that “There are no gods” or “It is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one”…are nothing more than guesses.

People who identify as atheists want to pretend they are above the practices of theists.

THEY ARE NOT. And he is not going to deal with any of that stuff...because he can't.

This is all he has got, Cypress.

Yes the transitive property. Something you guys seem to think is big lie.

ONE: My take on the question of whether there are any gods or not.

I do not know if any GOD (or gods) exist or not;
I see no reason to suspect that gods cannot exist…that the existence of a GOD or gods is impossible;
I see no reason to suspect that at least one GOD must exist...that the existence of at least one GOD is needed to explain existence;
I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction on whether any gods exist or not...so I don't.

(When I use the word "GOD or gods" here, I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF SUCH AN ENTITY OR ENTITIES ACTUALLY EXIST.)

Yes, you are an agnostic. We UNDERSTAND THAT.

I haven’t heard any presentation from any of these supposed atheists that comes even close to being as comprehensive or rational…nor have I seen any of them present a coherent argument to rebut any of those comments…or that improves any of them to any significant degree.

You want an atheist to prove a negative for you?

TWO: I am saying that the word “atheist” simply means too many different things to different people

I wish you'd actually read my response to this. I only gave it to you about 5 times.

THREE: It has become obvious that just as theists cannot acknowledge that “There is a GOD” is nothing more than a guess

I would really like to discuss the null hypothesis and how inference works, but it would be lost on you.

…atheists cannot acknowledge that “There are no gods”

What the literal fuck does that sentence mean? Am I to prove a universal negative?????

Wow...you really SUCK at logic.

THEY ARE NOT. And he is not going to deal with any of that stuff...because he can't.

LOL. Some day maybe you'll be smart enough to follow this conversation. Bookmark it. Come back to it when you've actually had a philosophy or logic or even fuckin' math class.

Yes the transitive property. Something you guys seem to think is big lie.

Yes, you are an agnostic. We UNDERSTAND THAT.

You want an atheist to prove a negative for you?

I wish you'd actually read my response to this. I only gave it to you about 5 times.

I would really like to discuss the null hypothesis and how inference works, but it would be lost on you.

What the literal fuck does that sentence mean? Am I to prove a universal negative?????

Wow...you really SUCK at logic.

LOL. Some day maybe you'll be smart enough to follow this conversation. Bookmark it. Come back to it when you've actually had a philosophy or logic or even fuckin' math class.
Awww...getting all heated like that!

Much better to stay cool...with a smile on your face.

MUCH BETTER.

Are there any other things in your world you are 'agnostic' about?
Actually...that I will talk about.

I am agnostic about whether or not the GIANTS are gonna break 500 this year. I would love for the NY to start meaning New York rather than Next Year.

So...yeah. There's that...and a diversion I can work with...or "a diversion with which I can work."

Actually...that I will talk about.

I am agnostic about whether or not the GIANTS are gonna break 500 this year. I would love for the NY to start meaning New York rather than Next Year.

So nothing serious. You reserve your "agnosticism" about God. Is it so you don't feel like you are insulting God?

Back