Voltaire and God

One thing I always liked about Socrates is that he was dubious of people who expressed certainty of knowledge.

I think Socrates would have been annoyed by both christians and atheists.
Yet Socrates was a accused of being an atheist, or believing in the wrong gods. The idea of an immortal soul may not itself be a form of religious belief, but it seems so today.

Last edited:
Weak atheism is simply the hijacking of agnosticism by atheists without the guts to call themselves agnostics.

Again, I'm surprised at your lack of precision in language. Very interesting for someone who claims to have a lot of philosophy under their belt.

I DO NOT BELIEVE ANY GODS EXIST...and I am not an atheist.

I ALSO DO NOT BELIEVE THERE ARE NO GODS...and I am not a theist.

My take, which I have given several times, is an agnostic one.

I agree, you are an agnostic. good for you.

Like Santa Claus?

Like whatever I feel applies.

"integrity and truthfulness". At what point have I lied in this conversation? You may disagree with me, but that does not mean I'm lying.

I think you are bullshitting all of us. I think ALL so-called "weak atheists" are bullshitting. They are people who, if a descriptor must be used, closer to being agnostics than atheists.

That is why you are not thoroughly setting out your take on this issue.

Good for you. You have the blasphemy card out. Pretty brave for someone who claims he doesn't know if God is real or not.
Blasphemy? From a supposed atheist?

Gimme a break!

And since you seem always to use "God"...tell us...

...what you mean when you use "God"...

...why you do not use "gods"...

...and why you do not actually set out your take on the issue of whether or not at least one god exists or not...PLAINLY, CLEARLY, AND THOROUGHLY.

You are able to do that...right?

Again, I'm surprised at your lack of precision in language. Very interesting for someone who claims to have a lot of philosophy under their belt.

I have, and will continue to be, a hell of a lot more precise in my language on this issue than you.

I am more precise in my language than you. I stick with vatiations of "my take is an agnostic one" rather than "I am an agnostic."

For those of you who cannot be that precise...I'll accept what you say and translate it into what you mean.

I think you are bullshitting all of us. I think ALL so-called "weak atheists" are bullshitting.

Except I've shown you that it is not simply made up. You can verify it if you actually hit up philosophy references as well.

Blasphemy? From a supposed atheist?

Gimme a break!

It is, by definition, blasphemy. I didn't say I was offended. I am just surprised at someone who thinks there's at least a POSSIBILITY God exists would then blaspheme.

...and why you do not actually set out your take on the issue of whether or not at least one god exists or not...PLAINLY, CLEARLY, AND THOROUGHLY.

This question has you wrapped up. I honestly don't know why it is so important. I suspect it is a bit of plaque in your brain that makes you think it is somehow "meaningful".

I believe that the likelihood that one god exists is equal to the likelihood that many gods exist which is ZERO.

Now take your Abilify.

There is an old story that one day, the wife of Noah Webster came home unexpectedly and discovered him in a compromising position with the upstairs maid.

She was shocked and loudly proclaimed, "I am surprised."

Noah summoned up the lexicographer part of himself and replied, "My dear, you are astonished. It is I who am surprised."

Noah would tell you that your use of "surprised" in your admonishment of me on language precision... is not precise.

Except I've shown you that it is not simply made up. You can verify it if you actually hit up philosophy references as well.

I realize that atheists have hijacked the agnostic position and claim a weak-atheistis position.

That is only for atheists without the balls to acknowledge their agnosticism. Who want the world to call them atheists because they think that makes them look strong.

They look like idiots.

It is, by definition, blasphemy. I didn't say I was offended. I am just surprised at someone who thinks there's at least a POSSIBILITY God exists would then blaspheme.

Ahhh..."surprised" again.

Well...I do not know if any gods exist or not. But you seem to think that the only god that could exist...is one that could be offended by something a human says.

Interesting.

This question has you wrapped up. I honestly don't know why it is so important. I suspect it is a bit of plaque in your brain that makes you think it is somehow "meaningful".
No you don't. You thought this bullshit up as an insult.

You really ought not to lie so often. Live with what you actually feel. You'll be a better person.

I believe that the likelihood that one god exists is equal to the likelihood that many gods exist which is ZERO.

So you think there is no likelihood that a GOD exists.

Yet you are trying to pull off the weak-headed atheist schtick.

C'mon!
Now take your Abilify.
Perhaps you should take yours. I don't use the stuff...or anything like it.

No need for me.

I realize that atheists have hijacked the agnostic position and claim a weak-atheistis position.

That is only for atheists without the balls to acknowledge their agnosticism. Who want the world to call them atheists because they think that makes them look strong.

They look like idiots.

Ahhh..."surprised" again.

Well...I do not know if any gods exist or not. But you seem to think that the only god that could exist...is one that could be offended by something a human says.

Interesting.

No you don't. You thought this bullshit up as an insult.

You really ought not to lie so often. Live with what you actually feel. You'll be a better person.

So you think there is no likelihood that a GOD exists.

Yet you are trying to pull off the weak-headed atheist schtick.

C'mon!

Perhaps you should take yours. I don't use the stuff...or anything like it.

No need for me.

:ROFLMAO:

Normally I wouldn't find an older person clearly suffering from the loss of a few (dozen) steps due to age funny, but you are a special case.
I suspect you will discover just what "a special case" I am!

Hey...let's have fun along the way to your discovery.

I suspect you will discover just what "a special case" I am!

Hey...let's have fun along the way to your discovery.

I don't care to "discover" anything more about you than I already know. For instance you are lying about having philosophy classes for one! I can tell by the way you post and the points you prefer to focus on. :)

I don't care to "discover" anything more about you than I already know. For instance you are lying about having philosophy classes for one! I can tell by the way you post and the points you prefer to focus on. :)
The school required tons of philosophy classes and I enjoyed them. It was over 60 years ago, so I acknowledge that I have lost a lot of it. But I am keeping up with the childish stuff you are trying here.. You are making it easy for me.

Atheist!

What a laugh that is.

The school required tons of philosophy classes and I enjoyed them

Too bad you didn't remember any of it.

. It was over 60 years ago, so I acknowledge that I have lost a lot of it.

No shit.

But I am keeping up with the childish stuff you are trying here.. You are making it easy for me.

In your imagination, Gramps

Atheist!

What a laugh that is.

I allowed you to be an agnostic. I see you never learned the Golden Rule.

You could really use some basic education in values and ethics.

Back