Voltaire and God

Don't even bother, Cypress. This guy is a phony...maybe a troll.

The true natue of the REALITY of existence is in question. We do not know if existsence as we humans perceive it has always been and always will be...or if it was created (or caused to be created) by some external thing. Sensible, reasonable, intelligent, sane people are agnostic on that question.

In order to make his "atheism" seem reasonable he wants to suggest that in order to be "consistent", one must be agnostic about things like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy also. (I suppose also about teapots circling Jupiter, Spagetti monsters and invisible whatevers whereever.) He gives no decent reason why the consistency is important. Fact is, if there is an inconsistent school...it is the one that uses "atheism" as a descriptor.

Atheists are like theists...wedded to their guesses (BELIEFS) and they require it of themselves to defend their positon no matter how silly or unreasonable the effort becomes.

He often mentions he doesn't want to destroy any beliefs of the theists with whom he interacts. I doubt he really means that. Mostly he wants to pretend that all the people with whom he interacts are small people with little intelligence...unworthy of his great knowledg. But the idea is a good one. I certainly do not want to break a relgious person's spirit. (I also do not want them inapropiately interfering with our freedoms in the name of their gods.) And I also do not want to break the belief driven spirit of atheists like him.

Engage him on this issue if you must, but it is going nowhere. And be careful you do not accidentally crack his belief system and injure his spirit.
Yes, the poster formerly known as Perry PhD has used sock puppets in the past, lied about it, and posted under at least a couple dozen different names and accounts. Those are all hallmarks of someone who isn't posting in good faith.

It is rational to believe there is an author of the universe, even if that belief ends up being wrong.

There is nothing rational about believing in the tooth fairy, it is irrelevant and serves no function or purpose is ontological questions about reality we have .

Yes, Perry PhD has used sock puppets in the past, lied about it, and posted under at least a dozen different names and accounts, if not more. Those are all hallmarks of someone who isn't posting in good faith.
Indeed. Why I have him on ignore.

Yes, Perry PhD has used sock puppets in the past, lied about it, and posted under at least a dozen different names and accounts, if not more. Those are all hallmarks of someone who isn't posting in good faith.

Argumentum ad hominem. Since clearly you can't debate the points about atheism and agnosticism this is what you go with.

I remain surprised by the depth of your ignorance in the field of logic and rhetoric.

No, addressing your gross mischaracterization and personal attacks.

You and Cypress feel free to bitch about me like two meangirls if you like, but expect that I will respond from time to time.
Do your best. It is not as good as many who have bumped heads with me.

This is dodgy theology. It basically says you have to believe before you can believe.

If God exists I should hope He would be more rational than that.

That is, of course, if you blind guess that a "Holy Spirit" actually exists...rather than that it simply is a fantasy of yours to which you are wedded.
When the Holy Spirit gives you information that you have not had,explain where the information came from? "Blind" is what you are without the Holy Spirit

When the Holy Spirit gives you information that you have not had,explain where the information came from? "Blind" is what you are without the Holy Spirit
Yeah, blind on your part. But...keep insisting. That is what religious people do...and you might even be correct.

I wonder???

Usual atheist response, you're blind so you assume everyone is
I am not an atheist; I am not blind; I do not assume everyone is blind.

I am saying that YOU are blind if you are not acknowledging that your supposed communication with this Holy Spirit MAY BE merely self-delusion. I have, in fact, acknowledge that you MAY be corret.

Wake the hell up.

He just says "blind guess" all the time. It is useless engaging with him.
So you think there is no chance that Mason is simply being self-deluded with this supposed connection with the Holy Spirit?

Is that what you are saying?

So you think there is no chance that Mason is simply being self-deluded with this supposed connection with the Holy Spirit?

Is that what you are saying?
I am saying you are incapable of debate. You write "blind guess" instead of debating the actual issue.

It depends what that “information” is. If you’re more specific, one might be able to form an opinion.

I’ve experienced lots of “information” in my drug days. Doesn’t mean it was real.

It depends what that “information” is. If you’re more specific, one might be able to form an opinion.

I’ve experienced lots of “information” in my drug days. Doesn’t mean it was real.
Mason 22 thinks anything he experiences is unique and profound. Typical of bipolar people.

I am saying you are incapable of debate. You write "blind guess" instead of debating the actual issue.
I am totally capable of debate.

I have not written "blind guess" in any of these posts.

If you want to debate...start with the question I asked.

I hope you understand I am not saying "it is not real"...I am merely commenting on Mason's unwillingness to acknowledge that it MAY BE self-delusion.

Religious people seem to feel a necessity to show certainty about things they cannot be certain. I GUESS it is a function of worry about what their gods will feel like about their uncertainty.

I hope you understand I am not saying "it is not real"...I am merely commenting on Mason's unwillingness to acknowledge that it MAY BE self-delusion.

Religious people seem to feel a necessity to show certainty about things they cannot be certain. I GUESS it is a function of worry about what their gods will feel like about their uncertainty.
blind guess

Back