We're All Job Doomers Now

Cancel7

Banned
...I further like to amuse myself by snickering over the fact that Toppy will have no idea who the title of this post is paraphrasing.

Jobless rates jumps to 5.5 percent - biggest rise since `86
By JEANNINE AVERSA,
AP
Posted: 2008-06-06 09:17:59
WASHINGTON (AP) - The nation's unemployment rate jumped to 5.5 percent in May - the biggest monthly rise since 1986 - as nervous employers cut 49,000 jobs.

The latest snapshot of business conditions showed a deeply troubled economy, with dwindling job opportunities in a time of continuing hardship in the housing, credit and financial sectors.

"It was ugly," said Richard Yamarone, economist at Argus Research.

With employers worried about a sharp slowdown and their own prospects, they clamped down on hiring in May, said Friday's report from the Labor Department. The unemployment rate soared from 5 percent in April to 5.5 percent in May. That was the biggest one-month jump in the rate since February 1986. The increase left the jobless rate at its highest since October 2004.

The big jump in the unemployment rate surprised economists who were forecasting a tick-up to 5.1 percent. Payroll losses, however, weren't as deep as the 60,000 that analysts were bracing for. Still, job losses in both March and April turned out to be larger than the government previously reported. Employers now have cut payrolls for five straight months.

The 5.5 percent rate is relatively moderate judged by historical standards. Yet, there was no question that employers last month sharply cut jobs in manufacturing, construction, retailing and professional and businesses services. Those losses swamped gains elsewhere, including in the education and health fields, government and leisure and hospitality.

The government said the number of unemployed people grew by 861,000 in May - rising to 8.5 million. The over-the-month jump in unemployment reflected more workers losing their jobs as well as an increase in those coming into the job market - especially younger people - to look for work, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said.

A year ago, the number of unemployed stood at 6.9 million and the jobless rate was 4.5 percent.

A trio of crises - housing, credit and financial - have rocked the economy. That's caused economic growth to slow to a crawl as businesses and consumers have tightened their belts. Spiraling energy costs are another negative force.

The country's economic problems are a top concern for voters - and thus for President Bush, lawmakers on Capitol Hill and those vying to win the White House this fall.

And, there's been a lot of talk about whether the economy is on the brink of, or fallen into, its first recession since 2001. That determination, made by a panel of academics, is usually made well after the fact.

"For the average American there is not debate that the eocnomy is in a recession," said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Economy.com. "That's because their net worth is lower, their purchasing power is lower and it is tough to find a job. If you lose a job, it is tough to get back in," he said.

So far this year, the government said, job losses have totaled 324,000.
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/jobless-rates-jumps-to-55-percent/n20080606091709990033

""For the average American there is not debate that the eocnomy is in a recession," said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Economy.com. "That's because their net worth is lower, their purchasing power is lower and it is tough to find a job. If you lose a job, it is tough to get back in," he said."

Fat & happy; filling up those restaurants.

What a bummer. I also read that home equity value - which was propping up the economy for years, imo - is at the lowest level since before WWII....

""For the average American there is not debate that the eocnomy is in a recession," said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Economy.com. "That's because their net worth is lower, their purchasing power is lower and it is tough to find a job. If you lose a job, it is tough to get back in," he said."

Fat & happy; filling up those restaurants.

What a bummer. I also read that home equity value - which was propping up the economy for years, imo - is at the lowest level since before WWII....

Oh yeah, I read that too yesterday. Oil went up again today to over 130 a barrel because a Morgan Stanley analyst said he expected it to hit 150 a barrel by July 4th. I don’t think things are going too well, even taking into account that the high IQ people are still buying. But you know me, a pinhead and single, what could I know?

5.5% is still below the long term average
in a serious recession we'll lose 200,000 jobs a pop. The 49,000 was lower than estimated.

you guys do realize that in Europe unemployment rates are in double digits right?

Search analyst Boston, ma 50mile radius:
Results 1626

Weird to see that kind of a drastic shift in a one month time frame. Very rare for it to move by 10% (5% to 5.5% is a 10% increase for the mathmatically challenged).

Obviously since this is a survey, it could potentially be skewed by a one month spike, though that likelihood is small. It will be interesting to see what the rate is next month. 5.5% is still fairly moderate, as the article mentions, but it is a negative indicator when it moves so drastically up. That is a red flag I was not expecting.

Chappy & toppy - you guys have been candycoating everything for a year now. The middle class is fat & happy, 50,000 job losses is nuthin'...150K is where it's at!, Europe is much worse, blah, blah, blah.

Wake up & smell the coffee, fellows. The fundamentals of this economy SUCK.

Oh yeah, I read that too yesterday. Oil went up again today to over 130 a barrel because a Morgan Stanley analyst said he expected it to hit 150 a barrel by July 4th. I don’t think things are going too well, even taking into account that the high IQ people are still buying. But you know me, a pinhead and single, what could I know?

That is crappy reporting then. It did not go up based on the analyst's comments. It went up because European countries (Britain especially) came out and said that they were more inclined to raise their interest rates due to inflation rather than lower them to fight their stagnating economies (for the most part... some Euro countries are doing well). This sent the Euro and Pound soaring against the dollar. The fall in the dollar led to a spike in commodity prices. (including oil)

you guys do realize that in Europe unemployment rates are in double digits right?

Search analyst Boston, ma 50mile radius:
Results 1626

What is this argument, I never understand it? Well at least in America poor people don’t have it as bad as poor people in Tantoee Africa have it.

Is that the conservative mantra? Not, America, we can do it better…but, America, be glad you don’t have it even worse?

I can’t even get my mind around this kind of thinking. It would be like me telling a girlfriend, well so what your husband pushes you against the wall, throws things at you, and calls you horrible names, Mary’s husband hits her with a baseball bat, so be thankful for what you’ve got.

Weird.

it's bad new no doubt, but 49,000 jobs is a drop in the bucket. I know you guys don't follow much besides headlines but the news has been better in the last couple weeks.
Retail sales are firming and till today the dollar has firmed as well.
I said 6 months ago that we had 30 to 40% shot at recession not that we wouldn't go into one. They come every 7 to 10 yrs

Chappy & toppy - you guys have been candycoating everything for a year now. The middle class is fat & happy, 50,000 job losses is nuthin'...150K is where it's at!, Europe is much worse, blah, blah, blah.

Wake up & smell the coffee, fellows. The fundamentals of this economy SUCK.

I disagree. there are a couple of HUGE potential emerging markets about to explode. Bio/medical tech and alt energy tech. Either one has the potent to put us into a new golden age like the 90's

You guys have to stop being so gloomy all the time. We are in a cyclical market downturn and nothing more. There is ALWAYS opportunity for hard workers in this country.

show your IQ in economics and tell us what you are buying.
Me oil, European fund, China, Apple ahead of the next gen Iphone, And DVY

That is crappy reporting then. It did not go up based on the analyst's comments. It went up because European countries (Britain especially) came out and said that they were more inclined to raise their interest rates due to inflation rather than lower them to fight their stagnating economies (for the most part... some Euro countries are doing well). This sent the Euro and Pound soaring against the dollar. The fall in the dollar led to a spike in commodity prices. (including oil)

Thanks, that was…interesting.

5.5% is still below the long term average
in a serious recession we'll lose 200,000 jobs a pop. The 49,000 was lower than estimated.

To add to the above.....on the 5.5% number, keep in mind that May is the month that we traditionally see an influx of workers into the market due to college graduations. Given that this is a survey, that could also be playing a part given that the job losses were lower than expected yet we saw a surge in the unemployment rate. Not saying this is definite by any means, but I will wait to hit the panic button just yet.

The far bigger concern right now for the economy is the expansion of credit card debt. This could become a problem that could make the housing market look tame.

Weird to see that kind of a drastic shift in a one month time frame. Very rare for it to move by 10% (5% to 5.5% is a 10% increase for the mathmatically challenged).

Obviously since this is a survey, it could potentially be skewed by a one month spike, though that likelihood is small. It will be interesting to see what the rate is next month. 5.5% is still fairly moderate, as the article mentions, but it is a negative indicator when it moves so drastically up. That is a red flag I was not expecting.

I’m starting to think you’ve never even been in a business class. Maybe you should get a job selling used software to double diggit housewives with Onceler.

supers a phenom with his investing prowess. hes to modest to tell you all how well hes doing in the CNBC Portfolio challenge.. but hes beaten my record from last year by far.

Back