We're All Job Doomers Now

The job market is not the same every year. If you have a tight labor market, there will be minimal impact. If the labor market is loose... it could cause a spike. Key word... could.

Ok, well I can’t disprove a could, and I did not post this in a “panic”, nor let me point out, am I impacted by it. I work for a government funded non profit organization, and my job is secure. This,coupled with the housing market and home equity figures, stagnating wages and skyrocketing oil and food prices, are impacting a lot of people who aren’t in the same position that many of us here are in, to varying degrees.

There are a couple of things to consider in this economic picture.

First of all, the collapse of the housing market SHOULD have produced huge gains in the unemployment. But it didn't. Illegal immigrants can't get unemployment, so we were saved from a much worse picture by our border problem.

Second of all, the continuous forecasting of a serious recession prompts people to hold onto their money. Less spending means the recession arrives with more gusto. Part of it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The price of oil has prompted much of our economic downturn. Our economy is based on cheap oil. This is only the beginning of what oil prices will do. Drilling in the gulf of mexico and in ANWR would help, but over the long haul we are in trouble unless we find a solid alternative to oil. And biofuels are not the answer. They may be a bandaid, but they are not the cure.

Oncerlo what an insult comparable to gay, calling you gay is an insult to gays.
Your a liar and a douchebag, (that's better).
Look at the investment calls I made based on the economy you tool and tell me where I went wrong. You aren't man enough to post investment calls if you even invest.
I'm up over $100,000 over this time last year, are you?

LOL - and I mean REALLY out loud.

This is what I always mention, and which you STILL do not get: economics is NOT investing. You definitely have some sort of idiot savante thing going w/ the investing, but your understanding of economics is pathetic.

It's always your last bastion when you're cornered on your lack of knowledge & intellect: I make more than anyone here! Really, really sad....

It's a juvinille guy joke to call someone gay, when I say it I mean more feminine than homosexual as I'm not a homophobe. I like lorax and cypress.

How is talking about a jobs report feminine?
Sometimes I feel as if I am speaking a different language.

As for graduating classes from college. #1) let me just state that only a moron gets a major in something that is not marketable in the real world...(DOHHH I CAN BE ANYTHING I WANT TO BE).. For 25Kplus a year to go to school get a degree that will land you a job or dont wast the 100K. #2) For those that did get marketable jobs they are in luck cause tons of big companies are turning away from off shoring and towards hiring cheap college grads considering the massive headaches with dealing with off shored workers.

Solitary is right with this exception. American technology will prevent the catastrophe that the turbo-libs are trying to cause by limiting oil. You'll see a dramatic increase in solar and biofuels in the next 5yrs. Obama is going to increase hybrid and solar tax credits that Bush put in place.
Lorax is ever the bookworm liberal (anit-corp in nature) and doesn't understand getting out in the real world and using economics to win at investing. WHAT A DUMBASS!!!!

10 million graduating from college should not have an immediate impact on the unemployment rate since you cant apply for unemployment benefits just because you graduated college.

Darn, all these eddicuated folks did not know that ?

Last edited:
Ok, well I can’t disprove a could, and I did not post this in a “panic”, nor let me point out, am I impacted by it. I work for a government funded non profit organization, and my job is secure. This,coupled with the housing market and home equity figures, stagnating wages and skyrocketing oil and food prices, are impacting a lot of people who aren’t in the same position that many of us here are in, to varying degrees.

I did not mean to imply that you were hitting the panic button. I just wanted to make sure those who did not have a good understanding of how the unemployment rate is calculated didn't.

As for the rest, I agree completely that a majority in this country are feeling the pinch of higher energy and food prices. Which is why we need to strengthen the dollar NOW. The Fed did what it needed to do to stem the housing problem. But now they need to focus on inflationary factors... time to raise interest rates.

There are a couple of things to consider in this economic picture.

First of all, the collapse of the housing market SHOULD have produced huge gains in the unemployment. But it didn't. Illegal immigrants can't get unemployment, so we were saved from a much worse picture by our border problem.

Second of all, the continuous forecasting of a serious recession prompts people to hold onto their money. Less spending means the recession arrives with more gusto. Part of it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The price of oil has prompted much of our economic downturn. Our economy is based on cheap oil. This is only the beginning of what oil prices will do. Drilling in the gulf of mexico and in ANWR would help, but over the long haul we are in trouble unless we find a solid alternative to oil. And biofuels are not the answer. They may be a bandaid, but they are not the cure.

I agreed with the above right up until you said biofuels were not the answer. That is a pretty large blanket. Some biofuels are not the answer. We definitely should not be using grain to produce fuel. We should focus on cellulosic production and on algae.

Yes, I said algae. Just learned about that one last week.

10 million graduating from college should not have an immediate impact on the unemployment rate since you cant apply for unemployment benefits just because you graduated college.

It's a survey.

There is a difference between the Unemployment rate, figured by a survey calling houses and simply asking if anybody over 16 is seeking a job, and the numbers of those receiving unemployment benefits.

You are simply wrong on how the data is collected.

do we figure our unemployment rate the same way that European countries do ?

Also who on here has ever been called in the unemployment survey ?

For the FINAL time.... the unemployment rate has NOTHING to do with unemployment benefits.... NOTHING.

every time we have this conversation about the unemployment rate you make this same mistake.

The unemployment rate is a SURVEY... thus it most certainly CAN be affected immediately.

For the FINAL time.... the unemployment rate has NOTHING to do with unemployment benefits.... NOTHING.

every time we have this conversation about the unemployment rate you make this same mistake.

The unemployment rate is a SURVEY... thus it most certainly CAN be affected immediately.

sigh yes, I keep forgetting we use fiction for it not real figures.

The odds of someone being called in their lifetime is about 1 in 375,000.

well on the ones that compared ours to european unemployment rates, do they figure theirs the same way or are we compaing apples to oranges. I have no idea but suspect different methods are used.

It's a survey.

There is a difference between the Unemployment rate, figured by a survey calling houses and simply asking if anybody over 16 is seeking a job, and the numbers of those receiving unemployment benefits.

You are simply wrong on how the data is collected.

Doesn’t posting to this thread making you feel feminine? So, what are you wearing? I have on a fabulous bright red summer blouse, with just a tiny bit of a peep of cleavage (still well within office bounds) a beige skirt, and well, if I described my shoes you would just keel with envy. Michael Kors, strappy, high heel, open-toed sandal in a sumptuous patent-leathered, deep tan color.

Back