What defines a Christian?

I think the place to start is the Sermon on the Mount. The Old Testament is a Jewish anthology, pinched mainly for the prophecies, which are not deeply convincing, but might have been to Jewish people at the time.

you see.....this is where your stupidity collapses around you.....you have just claimed a verse should be interpreted to mean the exact opposite of what it says...."But he was pierced for our transgressions" simply does not really mean "But they were pierced for their own transgressions"......you aren't reading scripture, you are rewriting it......

"HE" being Israel... The Jewish messiah was expected to be an anointed warrior king like David.. a leader NOT despised of men.

I think the place to start is the Sermon on the Mount. The Old Testament is a Jewish anthology, pinched mainly for the prophecies, which are not deeply convincing, but might have been to Jewish people at the time.

The Sermon on the Mount is Jesus trying to teach the Jews how to cope with the Roman occupation and Roman laws instead of tearing each other apart and bringing destruction on themselves. Each example like giving your cloak, turn the other cheek, carrying a soldier's pack 2 miles instead of 1.. is a direct reference to oppressive Roman laws.

The Sermon on the Mount is Jesus trying to teach the Jews how to cope with the Roman occupation and Roman laws instead of tearing each other apart and bringing destruction on themselves. Each example like giving your cloak, turn the other cheek, carrying a soldier's pack 2 miles instead of 1.. is a direct reference to oppressive Roman laws.

Conceivably. It's not a theory I'd heard before.

"HE" being Israel... The Jewish messiah was expected to be an anointed warrior king like David.. a leader NOT despised of men.

just stop.....you're being stupid.....Jesus was what he intended to be, not what Israel expected.....he was despised of men sufficiently that they called for Barrabus to be freed instead of him......he was pierced for our transgressions......he was pierced for our transgressions......he was crushed for our iniquities......the punishment that brought us peace was on him......by his wounds we are healed.......he was assigned a grave with the wicked and with the rich in his death......he bore the sin of many.....
Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord

Conceivably. It's not a theory I'd heard before.

Then read it again.. After Herod's building projects were completed there was widespread unemployment and Jews were divided against each other and the Romans.. There were Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Zealots, Sicarri.. and Essenes.

Jesus tried to teach them non violent resistance.. If they didn't find a better way to cope with the Roman occupation, destruction was inevitable. (You can call that "prophesy.)

Its groundbreaking liberation theology.

or, Jesus teaching the Jews that the presumptions they, and you, had about Isaiah's promised Messiah were misguided.......

just stop.....you're being stupid.....Jesus was what he intended to be, not what Israel expected.....he was despised of men sufficiently that they called for Barrabus to be freed instead of him......he was pierced for our transgressions......he was pierced for our transgressions......he was crushed for our iniquities......the punishment that brought us peace was on him......by his wounds we are healed.......he was assigned a grave with the wicked and with the rich in his death......he bore the sin of many.....

So you don't believe in the OT prophets?

Then read it again.. After Herod's building projects were completed there was widespread unemployment and Jews were divided against each other and the Romans.. There were Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Zealots, Sicarri.. and Essenes.

Jesus tried to teach them non violent resistance.. If they didn't find a better way to cope with the Roman occupation, destruction was inevitable. (You can call that "prophesy.)

Its groundbreaking liberation theology.

Father, forgive him.....for he knows not how incredibly stupid he is.....

You claim the OT prophets got it wrong and the Messiah was NOT supposed to be an anointed warrior king.

Not at all......the prophets were not wrong......you are......Jesus Christ IS the anointed warrior king.....you were just wrong about the defeated enemy......even Jesus disciples were wrong about that at first...

Your pastor must have gone to one of those crummy TN Bible Colleges like Glenn Beck attended.

even if that were true, he would know theology better than your apparent level of ignorance......
though to be honest.....I don't attribute your misrepresentations as ignorance any more.....it is more likely a malicious intent to lie and mislead or you would have stopped by now.....

Back