What defines a Christian?

Respectfully, I have gathered what you have written from following your posts since you arrived here, but I couldn’t resist the opportunity to write that post.
Edit: I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thank you, LR, I also appreciate your grace and civility. Both are rare commodities these days.

Did you know that the origin of the masons were the pagans. It was one of the writings of Tom Paine, "the origin of the masons". The writings of tom paine should be mandatory reading from grade 1 to 12. They might cause some rwnuts heads to explode though.

Are you saying that the Founding Fathers and their associates were not, in fact, conservatives? They were rebellious rebels?? Now you're gonna get it, just wait!

You don't define them. They define themselves by their actions. To me, a person who abides by "the sermon on the mount" and the 10 commandents would be a good christian.

and yet oddly, Jesus came to earth to correct that very belief and the sermon on the mount is where he explained it..........have you got anything in that recipe about believing that Jesus was God incarnate?.....

and yet oddly, Jesus came to earth to correct that very belief and the sermon on the mount is where he explained it..........have you got anything in that recipe about believing that Jesus was God incarnate?.....

MLK and Gandhi both studied the Sermon on the Mount for guidance in non violent resistance to oppression.

[h=3]Galatians 5:22-23 ESV / 561 helpful votes [/h]But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

[h=3]Philippians 4:8 ESV / 480 helpful votes [/h]Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

[h=3]2 Peter 1:5-7 ESV / 333 helpful votes HelpfulNot Helpful[/h]For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.

[h=3]1 Timothy 4:12 ESV / 184 helpful votes [/h]Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

[h=3]Colossians 3:12-15 ESV / 275 helpful votes HelpfulNot Helpful[/h]Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.

[h=3]1 Timothy 4:12 ESV / 184 helpful votes HelpfulNot Helpful[/h]Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

[h=3]1 Peter 1:14 ESV / 131 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful[/h]As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance

[h=3]2 Timothy 2:24 ESV / 82 helpful votes [/h]And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,

[h=3]1 Timothy 1:5 ESV / 63 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful[/h]The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

openbible.com

Here are some characteristics of Christian, there are too many who fail miserably.

it would be a pity if that was all they learned from it.....meanwhile, did you learn anything?.....

Jesus is teaching the people how to cope with the abuses of Roman law and occupation.. in specifics.. He's teaching them to shame the enemy... Jesus wasn't living in a vaccumn.

In these fora, I see misconceptions all the time about what makes a "good" Christian. Leftists/Liberals like to equate government welfare largess as fulfilling the idea of "feeding the poor", etc. rather than doing it out of their OWN resources, as it should be. But I submit the BIBLICAL definition of a Christian, as outlined throughout Scripture, is acknowledging there is absolutely zero good in mankind. Romans Chapter 3:9-20 talks about the unrighteousness of man, and that no good can ever earn him Heaven, nor a relationship with God. "What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. As it is written:

'There is no one righteous, not even one;
there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.'" (NIV)

So basically, in God's economy because of our sin, we have zero chance at attaining Heaven, even though we might seem "good" or "moral", it is still not enough!
So what EXACTLY is the solution? The Cross! Christ's death on the cross is God's way to establish the relationship between Himself and mankind. This was the full payment for the penalty of our sins; past, present, and future. "As far as the East is from the West, I will remember your sins no more", says the Lord of Hosts. Does this give us license to sin? No, but God's forgiveness does give us true freedom in Him. This is the right definition of a Christian. The works we do come as a result of our salvation and the purpose is to bring others to the Cross.

How often lefties equate supporting someone else being forced to fund programs they want in place with compassion and charity. Last time I looked, compassion comes when the person wanting something done does so voluntarily not supporting someone else being subject to a mandate for which you can take credit.

Specific to Roman law... a soldier could tell a Jew to carry his 60 lb pack a mile, or he could strike him or take his cloak.

Education does help.

what....the....fuck......does that have to do with the Sermon on the Mount.......have you gone daft?......

Back