What is the difference between the old and new covenant ? Frank

All the crap about Christians not being subjected to old law actually comes about because of one incident.

The facts are these: Acts 15 deals with a meeting that took place in Jerusalem between the presbyters of the community church, Peter, Paul, Barnabas, possibly other unnamed apostles, and possibly lay members of the community. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss a controversy that had arisen among the converted Pharisees of Antioch—who were of the opinion that Christianity was a religion that should be open only to Jews. They were openly distrustful of Paul, who was intent on converting gentiles as well.

In any case, the subject controversy was that the Pharisees were especially troubled by the fact that Paul allowed gentile converts to come into the new religion without being circumcised—a compromise they thought would lead to greater and more troubling (for them) concessions to the law. In fact, the specific item on the agenda appears to have been the non-circumcision of Titus (later, St. Titus)—a Greek gentile convert who was a frequently companion to Paul on his travels among the gentiles.

The meeting, an important early Christian meeting, is not only mentioned by Luke in Acts 15, but also by Paul in his letter to the Galatians, Chapter 2 (particularly verses 1-10.)

Both Acts and Galatians indicate that the main instigation for the meeting was the question of whether or not the act of circumcision was a necessary requirement for gentile converts to the newly formed religion. The question of whether dietary restrictions should be imposed was quickly included…and while there are some differences of opinions as to how that last part was resolved, the “minutes” of the meeting (actually a letter to the Christian community in Antioch) indicate that some dietary obligations remained in effect.

In the letter, the group invokes the agreement of The Holy Spirit in the decision. Circumcision, it was decided, was definitely NOT a requirement for membership. The dietary resolution has some minor ambivalence. Galatians seems to indicate that no dietary restrictions were required of the new gentile converts, or at least, none are specifically mentioned. Acts 15: 23-29 specifically states that the letter which outlined the results of the deliberations included the following, “…it is the decision of the Holy Spirit, and ours too, that we will not lay upon you (gentile converts) any burden beyond that which is strictly necessary, namely, to abstain from meat sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals, and from illicit sexual union. You will be well advised to avoid these things.”

In any case, anyone who reads the material in Galatians or Acts as justification for divorcing Christianity from the Old Testament law really is stretching things a great deal. The deliberations seem to have been almost exclusively confined to considerations of circumcision and dietary laws.

But even if that stretch is deemed proper and reasonable (which intelligent, well-intentioned people can do), there is absolutely no logical way to suppose any perceived divorce from Old Testament law includes the right to suppose that the things that pleased or offended the god of the Bible as indicated in the Old Testament…no longer applied. If an orthodox Jew was obliged to accept that murder, stealing, fornicating and lusting offended the god of the Bible—Christians were also. If an orthodox Jew was obliged to accept that homosexuality offended the god—Christians are also.

My argument is: Okay, if you want to stretch the passage in Acts to mean that “the law” no longer applies to Christians (an unrealistic stretch, in my opinion) you can logically argue that Christians are under no obligation to put homosexuals to death. But you cannot, on the basis of that stretch, logically argue that homosexual activity is not an abomination in the eyes of the god of the Bible.

NOTE: My personal opinion is that the best guess that can be made about the Bible is that it is a self-serving history of the early Hebrew people interspersed with a fanciful religious mythology. My opinion is that the best guess that can be made about the religious aspects of the Bible is that the people writing the material—the people inventing the god—put their prejudices into the mouth of the god they invented. Almost all of the anger, hatred, and prejudice against homosexuals today in our country has its genesis in the biblical mythology—and has absolutely no place in the hearts and minds of people supposedly as intelligent as we. It is my opinion that the unwarranted prejudice against homosexuals should end not because people are able to justify disregarding the more obviously silly ravings of what almost certainly is a mythical god…but because we, as an intelligent and basically fair species, should see such prejudice for the ignorance it is.

Said another way: Get off your bullshit about not allowing same-sex people to marry…or for “Christians” to indulge their blind guesses by refusing to provide services to gays

The statement of the first covenant

Deuteronomy 4
5 See, I have taught you decrees and laws as the Lord my God commanded me, so that you may follow them in the land you are entering to take possession of it. 6 Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, “Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.” 7 What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him? 8 And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting before you today?

Transition....Jeremiah 31
31 “The days are coming,” declares the Lord,
“when I will make a new covenant
with the people of Israel
and with the people of Judah.
32 It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to[d] them,[e]”
declares the Lord.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”

the new covenant....Luke 22....
20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Cyrus is a king mentioned more than 30 times in the Bible and is identified as Cyrus the Great (also Cyrus II or Cyrus the Elder) who reigned over Persia between 539—530 BC.

This pagan king is important in Jewish history because it was under his rule that Jews were first allowed to return to Israel after 70 years of captivity.

In one of the most amazing prophecies of the Bible, Isaiah predicts Cyrus’ decree to free the Jews.

One hundred fifty years before Cyrus lived, the prophet calls him by name and gives details of Cyrus’ benevolence to the Jews: “This is what the Lord says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him . . . ‘I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me’” (Isaiah 45:1, 4; see also 41:2-25; 42:6). Evincing His sovereignty over all nations, God says of Cyrus, “He is my shepherd and will accomplish all that I please” (Isaiah 44:28).

Cyrus’s decree releasing the Jewish people, in fulfillment of prophecy, is recorded in 2 Chronicles 36:22–23: “Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom and also put it in writing: ‘Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, “The LORD, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and he has charged me to build him a house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever is among you of all his people, may the LORD his God be with him. Let him go up.”’” Other Old Testament books that mention Cyrus include Ezra and Daniel.

Cyrus is a king mentioned more than 30 times in the Bible and is identified as Cyrus the Great (also Cyrus II or Cyrus the Elder) who reigned over Persia between 539—530 BC.

This pagan king is important in Jewish history because it was under his rule that Jews were first allowed to return to Israel after 70 years of captivity.

In one of the most amazing prophecies of the Bible, Isaiah predicts Cyrus’ decree to free the Jews.

One hundred fifty years before Cyrus lived, the prophet calls him by name and gives details of Cyrus’ benevolence to the Jews: “This is what the Lord says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him . . . ‘I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me’” (Isaiah 45:1, 4; see also 41:2-25; 42:6). Evincing His sovereignty over all nations, God says of Cyrus, “He is my shepherd and will accomplish all that I please” (Isaiah 44:28).

Cyrus’s decree releasing the Jewish people, in fulfillment of prophecy, is recorded in 2 Chronicles 36:22–23: “Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom and also put it in writing: ‘Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, “The LORD, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and he has charged me to build him a house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever is among you of all his people, may the LORD his God be with him. Let him go up.”’” Other Old Testament books that mention Cyrus include Ezra and Daniel.

Daniel was written ABOUT the captivity of Israel and Ezra about Israel's post captivity era........it is true that Isaiah specifically prophesied about Cyrus, but he is not described as the Messiah........God refers to him as one from the north that God stirred up.......Isaiah 41:25......

Yeah, I can read. I've read the Bible.

Can you read?

You are making stuff up out of nothing.

Jesus clearly is quoted as saying:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you: UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, NOT THE SMALLEST LETTER OF THE LAW, NOT THE SMALLEST PART OF A LETTER, SHALL BE DONE AWAY WITH UNTIL IT ALL COME TRUE."

Matthew 5: 17ff

Are you saying that the Earth has passed away????

Jesus H. Christ, Wolverine...it is there in black and white. I've even enlarged it for you.

If the Earth has not passed away...JESUS assures everyone that "...NOT THE SMALLEST LETTER OF THE LAW, NOT THE SMALLEST PART OF A LETTER" shall be done away with.

So...the law that men who engage in homosexual conduct are to be put to death...ACCORDING TO JESUS.

Don't quote me Paul...and suggest that Paul's word is more important than Jesus'...and suggest you are speaking for CHRISTIANITY in that.

Paul's word is inspired by God, Jesus is God.

Killing homosexuals was no longer necessary as they will be judged when they die, having either accepted or not accepted Christs payment for sins. Jesus fulfilled the law, making it only possible through him to get into heaven.

Killing homosexuals was no longer necessary as they will be judged when they die, having either accepted or not accepted Christs payment for sins. Jesus fulfilled the law, making it only possible through him to get into heaven.

There were a hundred sins in the OT that were punishable by death including sassing your parents or mixing fabrics on the same garment.. Can you quote any scripture where homosexuals were put to death?

Here's a list of Messianic claimants... just old ones NOT modern claimants.

Claimants
Judas, son of Hezekiah (4 BCE)
Simon of Peraea (4 BCE)
Athronges, the shepherd (4 BCE)
Judas, the Galilean (6 CE)
John the Baptist (c.28 CE)
Jesus of Nazareth (c.30 CE)
The Samaritan prophet (36 CE)
King Herod Agrippa (44 CE)
Theudas (45 CE)
The Egyptian prophet (52-58 CE)
An anonymous prophet (59 CE)
Menahem, the son of Judas the Galilean (66 CE)
John of Gischala (67-70 CE)
Vespasian (67 CE)
Simon bar Giora (69-70 CE)
Jonathan, the weaver (73 CE)
Lukuas (115 CE)
Simon ben Kosiba (132-135)
Moses of Crete (448)
Muhammad (570-c.632)
Abu Isa' al-Isfahani (c.700)

http://www.livius.org/articles/religion/messiah/messianic-claimant-6-jesus-of-nazareth/

Yeah...that is the bullshit you Christians use when you realize that you cannot find Jesus mentioning something that bothered Paul.

BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THE GOD OF THE BIBLE SAYS!

The god of the Bible says they should die right now. They have forfeited their lives.

Read the goddam thing...and stop trying to pretend something else is there in order to satisfy YOUR prejudices.

Am I bound by the old Testament to kill homosexuals or are we in a period of grace.

The major difference? The "Old Testament"....i.e., the LAW (of Moses) was directed only at one peoples on earth, the Hebrews (Biblical Israel). The scope and authority of THE LAW covered only ISRAEL, "The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers (ancestors), but with us, who are here today, all of us who are alive." -- Deuteronomy 5:2-3.

All of the eternally righteous commandments that are unique and pertain to all men who would worship and serve the one true God of Creation are carried forth into the New Testament Law of Grace (9 of the 10 commandments can be directly referenced to the New Testament Law......only one of the 10 commandments was vacated in order to allow Gentiles fellowship within the terms of the New Law.....Sabbath Worship),

"Let no one judge you in food or drink, or regarding a festival or new moon or SABBATHS, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance of Christ...." -- Col. 2:16-17.

Many of the laws contained in the Old Law such as the commandments, the righteous laws that should pertain to every man on earth that wants to live a full and righteous life are the same as those in the New Testament Covenant....but the laws are not the same. If they were a mirror image....there could be no NEW LAW OF GRACE. The prophets of old forecast a new covenant that would be different from the Law of Moses (Jer.31:31-32).

Thus, the Old Law was nailed to the cross of the Christ. Speaking to the gentiles Paul had this revelation from the Spirit of God to reveal.....

"....And you (the gentiles) being dead in your trespasses (of the Old Law) and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He (the Christ) has made you alive together with Him, having forgave you all trespasses and the uncircumcision of the flesh (gentile circumcision is of the heart, in a spiritual manner), HAVING WIPED OUT THE HANDWRITING OF THE REQUIREMENTS THAT WAS AGAINST US (the Law). HE HAS TAKEN IT OUT OF THE WAY HAVING NAILED IT TO HIS CROSS." -- Col. 2:11-14.

All the righteous commandments have been carried forth, only those pertaining directly to the Nation of Biblical Israel.....or those that were contrary to the Gentiles ….were nailed to the cross of the Christ.

What then does the Christ (in the new testament of Grace) have to say about homosexuality? He declares the righteousness of marriage as it was from the beginning, "Have you not read He who created from the beginning made them male and female and said, FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO A WIFE AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH...." -- Matthew 19:4-6

CONCLUSION? Of course no one living under the terms of the New Testament Covenant of Grace has the right or the authority to take the law into his own hands and murder anyone because of their sexual deviancy.....all Christians are commanded to allow the authorities to control the masses (Romans 12:17-21, Romans 13:1-4)

We are no longer living by the Letter of the Law but by the Spirit...……… Whose soul is actually condemned when they take the law into their own hands and murder someone who is in sin.....forever making it impossible for that soul to repent and find salvation?

Last edited:
Yeah...that is the bullshit you Christians use when you realize that you cannot find Jesus mentioning something that bothered Paul.

The god of the Bible says they should die right now. They have forfeited their lives.

Read the goddam thing...and stop trying to pretend something else is there in order to satisfy YOUR prejudices.

Paul had some sort of an affliction..

The major difference? The "Old Testament"....i.e., the LAW (of Moses) was directed only at one peoples on earth, the Hebrews (Biblical Israel). The scope and authority of THE LAW covered only ISRAEL, "The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers (ancestors), but with us, who are here today, all of us who are alive." -- Deuteronomy 5:2-3.

All of the eternally righteous commandments that are unique and pertain to all men who would worship and serve the one true God of Creation are carried forth into the New Testament Law of Grace (9 of the 10 commandments can be directly referenced to the New Testament Law......only one of the 10 commandments was vacated in order to allow Gentiles fellowship within the terms of the New Law.....Sabbath Worship),

"Let no one judge you in food or drink, or regarding a festival or new moon or SABBATHS, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance of Christ...." -- Col. 2:16-17.

Many of the laws contained in the Old Law such as the commandments, the righteous laws that should pertain to every man on earth that wants to live a full and righteous life are the same as those in the New Testament Covenant....but the laws are not the same. If they were a mirror image....there could be no NEW LAW OF GRACE. The prophets of old forecast a new covenant that would be different from the Law of Moses (Jer.31:31-32).

Thus, the Old Law was nailed to the cross of the Christ. Speaking to the gentiles Paul had this revelation from the Spirit of God to reveal.....

"....And you (the gentiles) being dead in your trespasses (of the Old Law) and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He (the Christ) has made you alive together with Him, having forgave you all trespasses and the uncircumcision of the flesh (gentile circumcision is of the heart, in a spiritual manner), HAVING WIPED OUT THE HANDWRITING OF THE REQUIREMENTS THAT WAS AGAINST US (the Law). HE HAS TAKEN IT OUT OF THE WAY HAVING NAILED IT TO HIS CROSS." -- Col. 2:11-14.

All the righteous commandments have been carried forth, only those pertaining directly to the Nation of Biblical Israel.....or those that were contrary to the Gentiles ….were nailed to the cross of the Christ.

What then does the Christ (in the new testament of Grace) have to say about homosexuality? He declares the righteousness of marriage as it was from the beginning, "Have you not read He who created from the beginning made them male and female and said, FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO A WIFE AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH...." -- Matthew 19:4-6

CONCLUSION? Of course no one living under the terms of the New Testament Covenant of Grace has the right or the authority to take the law into his own hands and murder anyone because of their sexual deviancy.....all Christians are commanded to allow the authorities to control the masses (Romans 12:17-21, Romans 13:1-4)

We are no longer living by the Letter of the Law but by the Spirit...……… Whose soul is actually condemned when they take the law into their own hands and murder someone who is in sin.....forever making it impossible for that soul to repent and find salvation?

I'll ask you a version of the question I asked Wolverine, Ralph:

Is everything you just said a bunch of bullshit...

...or was Jesus a liar?

Jesus was very specific. Not a word, not a letter of a word, not a piece of a letter of a word of the law will change...UNTIL THE EARTH PASSES AWAY.

So either Jesus was lying...or what you asserted in your post makes no sense.

Which do you suppose it is?

Paul had some sort of an affliction..

Sounds like it.

I've warmed to him a good deal over the years. I originally considered him to be a clown. But he had his heart in the right place...and I think he was battling demons that required him to be especially hard on "sin of the flesh"...especially if it was the flesh of one man for another man.

We still see lots of that.

Many of the most ardent anti-homosexual fighters...have personal battles with homosexual desires.

I give him a pass on that.

Sounds like it.

I've warmed to him a good deal over the years. I originally considered him to be a clown. But he had his heart in the right place...and I think he was battling demons that required him to be especially hard on "sin of the flesh"...especially if it was the flesh of one man for another man.

We still see lots of that.

Many of the most ardent anti-homosexual fighters...have personal battles with homosexual desires.

I give him a pass on that.

I have wondered if Paul's affliction was latent homosexuality..

Paul and John.

Ask a "Christian" what Jesus said...and they will almost always quote Paul or John.

Lemme tell you what Jesus CLEARLY said about homosexuality:

Okay?

If you do not believe that the writing of the Bible was inspired by God, and written by men sure you can make that argument. God said it in the old testament, and Jesus is God. Then in the new testament, it is confirmed as sinful in more than one place, you left out the first chapter of Romans, and without repentance would prevent you from entering heaven.

So wait, even Catholics believe Jesus is God, where do you get your rantings, I mean it's clear in the bible. You just have a really limited understanding of what you have read evidently. The Bible is clear about homosexuality, period, you may not like that, but don't pretend it isn't there.

Back