What Socrates can teach us about the art of civilized arguing

BidenPresident

Verified User
This is his “meditation” on liberal education, meaning “education not for making a living but for living meaningfully.” He joins the century-old criticism of the scientific and vocational focus of research universities that are preoccupied with “the production and accumulation of new knowledge” rather than “the cultivation of whole persons.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/12/31/harvard-classics-socrates-how-to-argue/

"The Socratic method, although argumentative, is more oblique than adversarial. It amiably poses probing, leading questions to clarify the definitions of terms and to test the links in chains of reasoning. It is what public discourse in today’s America does not resemble."

"The Socratic method, although argumentative, is more oblique than adversarial. It amiably poses probing, leading questions to clarify the definitions of terms and to test the links in chains of reasoning. It is what public discourse in today’s America does not resemble."

Agreed, and removing the Socratic method of teaching from school and replacing it with critical theory turns out idiots that melt when confronted with reality.

I have 200+ years of success examples to argue for teaching by the Socratic method. What's the argument for this teaching by Critical Theory and Critical Race Theory bullshit, hmm?

Yes, I am being adversarial right now over the argument of using the Socratic method. :tongout:

Agreed, and removing the Socratic method of teaching from school and replacing it with critical theory turns out idiots that melt when confronted with reality.

I have 200+ years of success examples to argue for teaching by the Socratic method. What's the argument for this teaching by Critical Theory and Critical Race Theory bullshit, hmm?

Yes, I am being adversarial right now over the argument of using the Socratic method. :tongout:

When did schools teach by the Socratic method?

Socrates believed in truth, which is the main contention that he had with the sophists. His view came to define Western Civilization for over 2000 years until the postmodern age.

Seriously, never heard of it being used in schools ever.

That's probably what's wrong witcha. Happy New Year!

Every class I ever took had "Socratic method" in the psyllabus, and I had really good teachers.

I was like "blah blah blah" back then, (all of us were) but now I realize we were blessed! :eek:

Whatever dumbass took that out the schools did the children a terrible disservice.

The dialectic method of teaching has not been widely used in highschool or college undergraduate education since the medieval Christian scholastic universities.

The dialectic method of teaching has not been widely used in highschool or college undergraduate education since the medieval Christian scholastic universities.

Where the fuck did "dialectic method" come from?

I remember a snippet of that once for like 5 minutes from a million years ago. The Socratic Method was used widely in schools across the US from its inception until around 2000 or so.

Back