Why do Christians proselytize?

I am an atheist. I practice Zen meditation. I also practice some of the philosophies of Zen Buddhism. I have successfully done those things without ever incorporating a deity into the equation. That's about as straightforward as I can possibly state it.

^ Good illustration of how you do not necessarily need to follow a deity in order to engage your spiritual aspects.

The topic of the thread was Christianity. If the topic was Islam, Judaism or any other religion I'm familiar with, I'd have a similarly snarky, but differently worded, response.

I'm not intentionally careful of anything. The topic was Christianity.

Hubris and disparagement towards other intellectual and religious traditions doesn't seem very Zen.

You can't ignore the irony of an anti-religious poster adopting practices that came out of the Mahayana Buddhist religious tradition.

I have posted dozens of threads about Taoism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Judaism and the atheists on this board never jump into those threads to mock those religions. They instead studiously patrol the board for any thread about Christianity to register their complaints and mockery about that specific religion.

Last edited:
Your vulgar personality, your embrace of cursing, your penchant for lying and slander are a sign, but not proof, you haven't been given God's Grace, and least from a traditional Protestant point of view.

That's just the rules of your religion. I don't make the rules, I just point out the ones you flaunt.

According to what I've heard on this forum, pointing out any sort of hypocrisy in the self-proclaimed Christian members -- or in very public Christians -- means you hate all Christians. :rolleyes:

^ Good illustration of how you do not necessarily need to follow a deity in order to engage your spiritual aspects.

True, but Zenless is also an example of a spiritually intolerant douchebag.

His comments were no better than someone ridiculing Jews for wearing a yarmulke or a Muslim woman for her hijab.

IMO, his declaration of atheism was an excuse, not an appeal for spiritual tolerance.

According to what I've heard on this forum, pointing out any sort of hypocrisy in the self-proclaimed Christian members -- or in very public Christians -- means you hate all Christians. :rolleyes:

Haha!

I have respect for a lot of the genuine ethical tenets of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, etc. so it strikes me as an insult to truth and integrity when a fake Christian or fake Buddhist ignore the tenets of their supposed faith tradition.

Haha!

I have respect for a lot of the genuine ethical tenets of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, etc. so it strikes me as an insult to truth and integrity when a fake Christian or fake Buddhist ignore the tenets of their supposed faith tradition.

please quote me the rules of my religion that say vulgar people cannot receive grace.......and remember, rationalists should not be irrational.......

one of the rules of my religion you might want to consider.......

....and doesn't have a vulgar personality?........

you haven't answered yet, Cypress....

I would say that the search for knowledge is Cypress's most important "everything."

Thanks. I have never asserted the superiority of Christianity, atheism, Judaism, or Hinduism. I maintain there is something to be learned from a knowledge of all of them.

It seems to me that the intelligent and curious person can learn something from the atheism of Friedrich Nietzsche, the Christianity of Augustine, the Daoism of Zhuangzi.

please quote me the rules of my religion that say vulgar people cannot receive grace.......and remember, rationalists should not be irrational.......

one of the rules of my religion you might want to consider.......

....and doesn't have a vulgar personality?........
Work on reading comprehension and respond to what I actually said, not to what you wish I said.

Only according to fucking morons like the Evangelistas or the Westboro Baptist idiots. Such assholes use religion (or lack thereof) as an excuse to hate others.

Claiming all Christians are like the Westboro Baptist douchebags is as flawed as claiming all atheists are violent members of Antifa like these idiots:

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/c...-prison-for-roles-in-plot-to-bomb-ohio-bridge
Three Men Sentenced to Prison for Roles in Plot to Bomb Ohio Bridge

Back