Why do people still believe in Jesus and Christianity?

how is that a dodge?......because I didn't admit to your silly lie?......

For the same reason everyone can readily see in your posts: You claim to be a Christian then spread hate, lies and division among JPP members. No doubt you do the same on other forums and IRL.

For the same reason everyone can readily see in your posts: You claim to be a Christian then spread hate, lies and division among JPP members. No doubt you do the same on other forums and IRL.

what lies have I ever spread here.......are you denying you have a penis in your ear?......

if I post that you are a worthless piece of lying shit and I believe that to be true, how can you claim I am lying?......
Belief is part of it. It's also a great dividing line between sane and insane, those with a firm grip on reality and those with more tenuous grips.

Are you swearing to God that you truly believe you are within keeping of both the Ten Commandments and Christ's Two Commandments?

Are you swearing to God that you truly believe you are within keeping of both the Ten Commandments and Christ's Two Commandments?

of course not......like every other Christian I believe it is impossible to keep the Ten Commandments (Christ's Two aren't different.......they are summaries of the Ten).......the inability of humanity to secure its own salvation by perfection is fundamental to Christianity......this distinguishes Christianity from Islam and Judaism which place the responsibility for righteousness upon the created rather than grace from the Creator.......

votebiden;3974896. said:
What is that "ultimate reality?"
You will have to familiarize yourself with Plato, Saint Augustine, Immanuel Kant, Buddhist, Christian, Hindu traditions for that, because interpretations very widely. However, they all maintain that there is an ultimate truth, an ultimate reality, a metaphysical liberation which exist beyond or independent of the quarks and leptons we can detect in particle accelerators.
Why do you assume I am not familiar with them?
Because you asked the question "what is ultimate reality?"

I answered that question. Plato's concept of a higher truth is articulated in "The Republic" and his theory of the ideal forms, and the allegory of the cave. Which kinda sorta foreshadowed Christian theology in a way. The Hindu concept of ultimate reality lies in their their notion of Brahman. Immanuel Kant spoke to a noumenal world which is beyond the reach of our reason and sensory perception.

You asked the question, I attempted to respond.

The question of ultimate reality has a multitude of interpretations and has been disccussed for thousands of years. I suspect it is part and parcel of what makes us human.

On the flip side, a strictly materialistic concept of a reality simply consisting of nothing more than quarks, leptons, bosons, and the void seems fairly cynical to me.

Probably because most humans feel that a materialistic view of a reality which consists of nothing more than quarks, electrons, bosons is pretty cynical and depressing.

I believe the human brain is generally wired to believe in an ultimate reality, a higher truth that reaches beyond a collection of subatomic particles.
I am a Christian. I find that there is nothing about quarks, electrons, or bosons, that conflict with anything about my religion. Fascinating theories and models to be sure. I find nothing about them to be cynical or depressing.

You seem to be putting words in my mouth.

I wrote nothing which could remotely be construed to suggest that the physical matter and energy in the universe must conflict in any way with the higher truths held by Buddhists, Christians, Jews, or indigenous American shamans.

I personally maintain that the standard model of particle physics is one of humanity's most profound achievements in our exploration of reality and the natural world.

I'd say it is absolutely certain (by definition) that there is an ultimate truth...and ultimate reality.

Whatever is...actually is.

And whatever that is...is the ultimate reality...which, in turn, is the ultimate truth.

The thing about a higher truth, an ultimate reality, or the meaning of life - if they exist - is that we will never find out what it is.

Scientific knowledge is always provisional.

Reason has its limitations.

Our cognitive capacity is limited - we are just evolutionarily evolved smart chimpanzees.

But it is the search for knowlege and higher truth is the fun part - it is what makes us truly human.

The thing about a higher truth, an ultimate reality, or the meaning of life - if they exist - is that we will never find out what it is.

Scientific knowledge is always provisional.

Reason has its limitations.

Our cognitive capacity is limited - we are just evolutionarily evolved smart chimpanzees.

But it is the search for knowlege and higher truth is the fun part - it is what makes us truly human.

I'm not saying we can understand it. But whatever the REALITY of existence is...it IS.

I doubt any Homo sapiens will ever know the REALITY of existence...but as I said, whatever it is, it is.

No. That's not how it works.

Actually, Michael...yes it is how it works. That is why I suggested you not make the same mistake as the theist are making.

You did assert, "There are no gods."

That assertion bears as much a burden of proof as the assertion, "There is a GOD."

Best not to make assertions you cannot substantiate.

Actually, Michael...yes it is how it works. That is why I suggested you not make the same mistake as the theist are making.

You did assert, "There are no gods."

That assertion bears as much a burden of proof as the assertion, "There is a GOD."

Best not to make assertions you cannot substantiate.

You're wrong. You're creating a false equivalency here.

Atheism and theism are not equal. Atheism is the result of observing the world around us. Theism is fairy tales about how we wish the world to be. There is no observable phenomenon that makes us wonder if there is a god or gods. In fact, asking if there is a god is an unjustified question because there's absolutely nothing to compel us to even ask it. It's like asking if "the Force" is real, or if Peter Pan's Neverland is real.

it isn't.......you could have simply said I don't believe or I am not convinced.......but, if you say he does NOT exist, THEN you have a claim to prove.....that son, is how it works.....

Agreed. That's exactly how it works: It's up to the person making the affirmative statement to prove their statement.

Back