Why do people still believe in Jesus and Christianity?

No one has an answer because it is not possible to prove whether Adam or Eve ever even existed or not. We do not know what they looked like. We do not know if God fashioned belly buttons for them or not. It really doesn't matter. You have spent your life on an trivial detail that has no significance either way.

Maybe this is the root of your problem.

But, I don't have a problem.

And even if God created Adam and Eve- who did Cain and Abel marry?

Seems as if your Bible story dooms itself.

It's been obliterated by scholars for over a hundred years. We know that Jesus himself is most likely pure myth.

Not to single out Jesus in particular, but the concept of God the omnipotent and all-loving Creator is disproven merely by waking up into this universe every morning.

If one wanted to describe God as some kind of shared human inclination to do good that can be nurtured or purged at the individual level
still assumes the existence of unprovable free will,
but at least would be a hell of a lot harder to disprove.
Harder than just getting up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
Not to single out Jesus in particular, but the concept of God the omnipotent and all-loving Creator is disproven merely by waking up into this universe every morning.

if you believe that to be true, you're obviously not really woken up......

There is no data on the temperature of the Earth. It is not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth. Science does not use consensus. There is no voting bloc in science. Science isn't even people. It is a set of falsifiable theories. You cannot justify your religion on science denial or math errors. Define 'global warming'.

Definition At Will Fallacy.

???....do you make up your own definitions for other words or just the one you have to manipulate to support your arguments.......because under that definition the origin of man by evolution is a myth.......

The Theory of Evolution does not discuss the origin of life. That's either the Theory of Creation or the Theory of Abiogenesis.

The Theory of Evolution states that present day life (including us) is the result of evolving from more primitive life. It does not have anything to do with how life itself arrived on Earth.
The Theory of Abiogenesis states that life originated on Earth through a series of random unspecified natural events.
The Theory of Creation states the life arrived on Earth through the action of some kind of intelligence (it need not be a god or gods).
All three of these theories are not falsifiable. They remain circular arguments. They each have arguments extending from those initial circular arguments. They are each a religion.

Science is a set of falsifiable theories. It is not possible to test whether an unobserved event took place in the past. Science has no theories about past unobserved events.

Therefore the stories of the origin of man are a myth, no matter how you slice it.

We might be nothing more than the result of a horrible lab accident on some alien planet, and they put it on Earth to get rid of it.

We just don't know.

I happen to be Christian. I subscribe to the Theory of Creation. I cannot prove my religion or my beliefs. I must take them on faith.

1A traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
‘ancient Celtic myths’

1.1Traditional stories or legends collectively.
‘the heroes of Greek myth’

2A widely held but false belief or idea.
‘he wants to dispel the myth that sea kayaking is too risky or too strenuous’

2.1A misrepresentation of the truth.
‘attacking the party's irresponsible myths about privatization’

2.2A fictitious or imaginary person or thing.
‘nobody had ever heard of Simon's mysterious friend—Anna said he was a myth’

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/myth

Which of those definitions contradicted what I said?

Since what you say constantly changes according to whatever context you want to apply it to at any time, what you say is pretty meaningless.

If one wanted to describe God as some kind of shared human inclination to do good that can be nurtured or purged at the individual level
still assumes the existence of unprovable free will,
but at least would be a hell of a lot harder to disprove.
Harder than just getting up in the morning.

There is no god. It's that simple.

Back