Why do we trust the church?

So, I just watched "Spotlight," which was an outstanding flick. And it got me thinking: after something like that, which was so widespread & went on for decades...why does anyone trust the church? Why do we consider the church to have moral authority?

And then you take it back further - the the medieval church. An absolute bastion of corruption and amorality. Why do we trust that those same people faithfully translated the Bible, with no other agenda? It's inconsistent with everything we know about that church, and the church today, and human behavior in general.

which "church"?......

I think it is because the way we are conditioned to pray, pay and obey. Most local churches were not affected by the scandal, so people don't truly think about what doesn't happen to them personally.

Here in Anchorage a very popular high school principal took his life after he came forward with his story. It had a deep impact on our community, so it became a little more concrete for us. The local parish also suffered financially because of it as well.

I guess that's true to an extent. If it isn't close to home, it just seems like it's "out there" somewhere. But there is more to it. Even in Boston where they uncovered this, families knew, and it didn't seem to affect their loyalty to their church.

I think so much of it has to do with the idea that religion is built around the concept of faith, and not questioning anything. I never really got that. God gave us the ability to reason; we're supposed to question things.

So, I just watched "Spotlight," which was an outstanding flick. And it got me thinking: after something like that, which was so widespread & went on for decades...why does anyone trust the church? Why do we consider the church to have moral authority?

And then you take it back further - the the medieval church. An absolute bastion of corruption and amorality. Why do we trust that those same people faithfully translated the Bible, with no other agenda? It's inconsistent with everything we know about that church, and the church today, and human behavior in general.

Tis the problem...."some" can't seem to tell the difference between "people" and the actual content of the Word of God that is the root of Christian Doctrine. People are imperfect.....the Word of God is not. The "true" church as defined in the Word of God looks nothing like the "church" you described that is based upon man made doctrine....not the actual content of the Holy Scriptures.

Follow the doctrine as revealed in scripture...and you will find the one and only Church that was constructed upon the sacrifice of Christ Jesus. The rest are impostors.

And just how is anyone that is "ignorant" concerning the actual content of the revealed word....to make an intellectually honest "judgment"? You want to know and comprehend the message presented by the one and only church that is authorized by Jesus, Study....the actual word that you are so quick to judge based upon the examples of MEN.

Why so quick to judge in ignorance? Study...."Be diligent to present yourself approved of God, a worker who need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." -- 2 Tim. 2:15. Why study the word? Look at the actual content of the Holy Scriptures, "....shun profane and idle babblings....for they will increase to more ungodliness." -- 2 Tim. 2:16

What's in the word, why is it so important? Because no other doctrine is to be taught or adhered (1 Tim. 1:3)

Any "honest" person can open THE BOOK and reach the conclusion....its not the Church that is at fault...its the MEN that teach a false message that is to blame.

Again...THE WORD OF GOD..i.e, the Holy Scriptures are the source of Christian Doctrine, "Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. Its simple, "Whoever transgresses the Doctrine of Christ (with its only source being the revelations found in scripture).....DOES NOT HAVE GOD.....he who abides therein has both the Father and the Son." -- 2 John 9.

The church has several tools to teach righteous doctrine. Teaching what is wrong as defined in the word of God. Teaching what is righteous '''''''''''''''. teaching HOW TO BECOME RIGHT. teaching how to stay right. Reprove or show what is right or wrong as found in scripture (the word of God). REBUKE (or WARN) when confronted with errant teachings. EXHORT (phrase or give comfort when confronted with righteousness).

Where are these teachings to be found? In the Word of God, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for DOCTRINE, for REPROOF, for CORRECTION, for instruction in righteousness." -- 2 Tim. 3:16

Those....Crusades and Inquisitions? Doctrine of men....not scripture. In fact the Catholic Church of Rome made it illegal for any lay person to be found in possession of the Holy Bible...they (the head of the Church) were the only ones authorized to reveal the content of the Holy Scripture....IN LATIN. The Church of Rome used religion to build upon the Roman Empire. It could not defeat Christianity so it attempted to use it for its own ends.

It was not until the advent of the printing press and the King James translation that LAY PEOPLE became aware of the actual content of the Holy Scriptures...and the result? A protest (a protestant movement)...in going back to the original message and content of the Word of God...ending with an exodus of many people from Europe to the New World to be free from STATE RUN CHURCHES....finally ending in the construction of the United States of America.

Anyone.....show us the Book, Chapter and Verse in the New Testament Covenant of Christ Jesus where anyone is to be converted at the point of a sword (..i.e, forced conversion). The truth as taught in scripture reveals the fact that Christians are engaged in a Spiritual warfare in a quest for the souls of men to be rewarded AFTER DEATH. False religions teach that World Conquest must be literal or physical in nature....even to the point of threatening LIFE ITSELF with conversion or death.

True Christians know the truth. No one man is better than the next in this physical world...God plays no favorites....The Christian reward comes at death in having an eternal relationship with God. In the meanwhile....Christians face the same life challenges as do all men, love, hate, injury, illness, accidental deaths, premature deaths, etc., We are promised nothing extra in this physical world....we are required only to treat others as we would have them treat us.....and to have NO OTHER GODS...along this race to the end known as LIFE...then after the race....the reward.

Last edited:
Tis the problem...."some" can't seem to tell the difference between "people" and the actual content of the Word of God that is the root of Christian Doctrine. People are imperfect.....the Word of God is not. The "true" church as defined in the Word of God looks nothing like the "church" you described that is based upon man made doctrine....not the actual content of the Holy Scriptures.

Follow the doctrine as revealed in scripture...and you will find the one and only Church that was constructed upon the sacrifice of Christ Jesus. The rest are impostors.

And just how is anyone that is "ignorant" concerning the actual content of the revealed word....make an intellectually honest "judgment"?

The Bible was written by men, though - and translated by them. I don't think you can really separate the two.

Te funniest thing in this thread is that Granny and CFM actually think they are Christians.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAPmAAAAJGQ2OGU0ODJkLWZmNjMtNDI4Ny04NzdiLTAyMDgxZGViYzYwOA.jpg

It is hilarious!

They are glad to take poor people's money and give back nothing.

Another Legion Troll lie, proving once again how dumb you are.

Church's give nothing back? That is such a bald face lie.

Why do you care if people, poor or rich, give money to a church? You don't care if the government takes money from the poor.

Well, with the Bible, specifically THE church.

I obviously understand that the modern-day scandal was limited to the Catholic church. But it still speaks to the flawed human nature & perception of any church, imo.

/shrugs....none of my business then, I'm protestant.......

Back