Why is Obama getting a pass that Cosby didn't get?

Sometimes I wonder if some poverty in a kids early years is a bad thing or not.

When my kids were little we were broke. Since there was no money in the budget for movies or other entertainment, we spent more time together doing fun stuff. We didn't buy video games, we went to the library.

My brother has two kids the same ages as my older two. They are fairly good kids, but have had some problems mine didn't. Neither of his finished college and his younger one ended up pregnant right after high school.

Two of mine have graduated college and one is due to graduate next may. No disciplinary problems in 12 years of school. (sorry, I can't help it when I talk about my kids)

My brother and his wife were much better of financially than we were. And I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
I think there is something to say for a 'bit of poverty', actually perhaps 'a bit of want', I don't see real poverty as a good thing. Perhaps even want isn't necessary if parents were taught how kids minds develop, I do think nearly all parents want to do the right thing by their children. The problem perhaps with an abundance of material things is the desire and ability to provide 'memorable experiences' failing to notice that it's not the place or the buys that make memories for children, it's the 'feeling of being part of something, a family.' Note, that is also what gangs provide, to those that haven't developed the 'family bond'.

Maybe family trips to the zoo or museums of free days, rather than a week of vacations once or twice a year? A visit to the library or park and someone to read the book out loud after dinner. Spaghetti on Wednesdays or popcorn nights on Saturdays? Going to the grocery store on a Saturday, noticing what countries the foods come from and talking about those countries or looking them up. Most memories, at least from when we are very young, come from doing the simple things and having fun with our parents and siblings. Sadly, we also remember the bad ones involving parents and siblings too. At least until we are about 8 or 9, while we like our peers, family has the most impact.

Those types of things sound trite, but like BAC said, he remembers how to make rice cereal and I bet once in awhile it even sounds good? At least in one's memory. When my dad died my two nieces gave one of the 'eulogies' for him. The youngest one told the story of how she was lucky to be the 'youngest' because grandpa would come early in the morning to her house, ask her if she would want to go to breakfast? Of course she did, then he'd say, "Now don't tell any of the others, I can't take everyone and wanted to spend some time with you." Her sister hit her gently and said, "He did that with me all the time!" The other four started laughing and nodding. Truth to tell, he did that with my brother and I too.

My guess is that the situation is much like a comatose person, except that you are generally out (an hour or less in most cases) for such a short time that there has been little/no opportunity to do an examination and produce research on the nervous system/etc.

I was out for 4 days .. they didn't know if I was coming back .. told my wife I may have to be moved to a hospice .. my wife and her friend then came into the hospital room and beat the shit out of me trying to wake me up .. didn't work.

Two days later, I just woke up.

Back