Why is Obama getting a pass that Cosby didn't get?

BAC, is there a non-pompous way to say that those who are failing not only to pull their weight, but failing to even help their own survive should be chastised? I don't give a damn if the subject is black, white, or polka dotted. There was a time men, we are talking men here, were held to a higher standard than women.

I'm not saying we should go back to those days, but someone or someones must be held to account for the children. It shouldn't be 'all of us'. We don't 'all' have sex without accountability. In fact, society should hold all accountable.

Ok, I've boxed myself in. Perhaps Cosby, Obama, and the rest of us should really hold those that procreate, without the benefits of marriage, accountable. What say you?

You could have the greatest message the world has ever heard, but if you don't know how to talk to people, no one will hear it. There is indeed a non-pompous, non-arrogant way to address this issue, but to address it with sincerity and with better resolution in mind, one must hear different perspectives.

Fatherhood is critically important to the growth of children and society and the courts should treat it as if it's important.

Marriage really can't be used as any barometer or benchmark in this society because children happen regardless. However, if the goal is to bring fathers and their children together for the betterment of society, then society should engage in real conversations about how to go about it.

You could have the greatest message the world has ever heard, but if you don't know how to talk to people, no one will hear it. There is indeed a non-pompous, non-arrogant way to address this issue, but to address it with sincerity and with better resolution in mind, one must hear different perspectives.

Fatherhood is critically important to the growth of children and society and the courts should treat it as if it's important.

Marriage really can't be used as any barometer or benchmark in this society because children happen regardless. However, if the goal is to bring fathers and their children together for the betterment of society, then society should engage in real conversations about how to go about it.
So the problem is with those trying to address the problem? Not those that create the problem? Seems pretty much a cop out to me.

So the problem is with those trying to address the problem? Not those that create the problem? Seems pretty much a cop out to me.

No, the problem is men not being with their children. Pompous arrogant speeches doesn't do one damn thing to address that problem.

Louis Farrakhan was much more successful at honestly talking about the issue and reaching those men who needed to hear it than was Emperor Cosby. This is exactly what the Million Man Mrch was all about .. one of the most spiritual events I have ever attended. seen, or even heard of. Neither Cosby or Obama for that matter touched this issue in the way that Farrakhan did.

This society has a hand in "creating the problem" because fatherhood is not respected and men are viewed as little more than a paycheck when it comes to children.

As I said previously, a great many absent fathers in the black community are absent because they are in jail, placed there by a undeniably, documented, and proven racist system of injustice. Should this simply contiinued to be ignored? This KNOWN injustice is devastating our community in more ways than just absent fathers .. but no one wants to do a damn thing about it.

I ask again .. are we looking for solutions or is simply pointing fingers good enough? Are the children less important than the finger-pointer?

Last edited:
Kathianne,

Something you should consider ...

Obama, Lay Off Black Fathers!

June 17, 2008 - by Earl Ofari Hutchinson

Presumptive Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama thundered to long, loud and vigorous applause from a Father’s Day Chicago church crowd that black fathers don’t engage with their children.

A month before Obama made this stereotypical and plainly false assertion, Boston University professor Rebekah Levine Coley, in a comprehensive study on the black family, found that black fathers who aren’t in the home are much more likely to sustain regular contact with their children than absentee white fathers, or for that matter, fathers of any other ethnic group. The study is not an obscure study buried in the thick pages of a musty academic journal. It was widely cited in a feature article on black fathers in the May 19, 2008 issue of Newsweek. There was no excuse then to spout this myth. The facts are totally contrary to Obama’s knock.

But then again, this kind of over the top, sweeping talk about alleged black father irresponsibility from Obama isn’t new. In stump speeches, he’s pounded black men for their alleged father dereliction, irresponsibility and negligence. Whether Obama is trying to shore up his family values credentials with conservatives, or feels the need to vent personal anger from the pain and longing from being raised without a father, or criticizes out of a genuine concern about the much media-touted black family breakup is anybody’s guess. But Obama clearly is fixated on the ever-popular notion of the absentee black father. And that fixation for whatever reason is fed by a mix of truth, half truths and outright distortion.

Obama commits the cardinal error that every critic from the legions of sociologists, family experts, politicians and morals crusader Bill Cosby who have hectored black men for being father derelict have made. He omits the words “some,” “those,” or “the offenders” before black fathers. Instead, he makes, or at least gives the impression, that all, or most, black men aren’t in the home, and are irresponsible. That being the case ipso facto they are the cause for the much fingered crime-drugs-violence-gross underachievement syndrome that young black males are supposedly eternally locked into.

Obama presents absolutely no evidence to back up this devastating indictment. The worst case estimate is that slightly less than half of black children live in fatherless homes. But that’s only a paper figure. When income, education, individual background, and middle-class status are factored in the gap between black and white children who live in intact, two-parent households is much narrower.

This points to the single greatest reason for the higher number of black children who live in one-parent households. That reason is poverty. A 2007 study noted that a black father’s ability to financially contribute the major support in the home is the major determinant of whether he remains in the home. That’s no surprise considering that despite changing gender values and emphasis society still dumps the expectation and burden on men to be the principal breadwinner and financial provider. Put bluntly, men and the notion of manhood are still mainly defined by their ability to bring home the bacon. A man who falls short of that standard is considered a failure and loser.

The chronic near Great Depression levels of unemployment, not to mention rampant job discrimination, endemic failing public schools, and stigma of a criminal record virtually condemn many young black men to wear the tag of societal failures as men and fathers. Obama in his rap against black men as fathers says nothing about the economic devasation that drives many black men from the home or prevents them from being in the home in the first place.

Obama, undoubtedly is well intentioned in his criticism of black family problems and certainly doesn’t mean to slander all, or even most black men, as derelict, laggards and slackers as fathers. Obama, as Cosby and others who beat up on black males for alleged father dereliction, would almost certainly publicly bristle at criticism that he takes the worst of the worst behavior of some black men and publicly hurls that out as the warped standard of black America. Yet that’s precisely what he’s done. And since every utterance by him is instant news and is taken as fact by legions of supporters and admirers, that makes his fan of stereotypes about black men even more painful.

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/obama-lay-off-black-fathers/

The Newsweek article cited ..
http://www.newsweek.com/id/136335

You had me agreeing with much of what you said until "The chronic near Great Depression levels of unemployment, not to mention rampant job discrimination, endemic failing public schools, and stigma of a criminal record virtually condemn many young black men to wear the tag of societal failures as men and fathers."

Unemployment levels are not at Great Depression levels. The rampant job discrimination is something that I would question. I am not saying that there is no discrimination, but "rampant"?

But the last two items I have a bigger problem with. The failing public schools and the stigma of a criminal record are both things that the individual had a hand in. You will never hear me singing the praises of the american public school system. But if you fail there, its largely your own fault. If a student puts forth the effort, they can learn what they need to learn. The fact that so many are functionally illiterate is largely due to their own lack of effort at it. There have been far too many people who went thru the same schools and the same situations and succeeded to make this a valid reason for failure. At some point these young people had to choose between studying and getting somewhere or wearing their pants hanging off their ass and being "cool".

As for the criminal record, other than the ones with drug possession records, they all committed a crime that carries more than the sentence served. On the one hand these felons are stimatized, but they are also seen as heros in many circles. Thats how the whole droopy pants fashion started. Now I am not debating that all blacks in prison are guilty. But those who DID commit the crime have to bear the responsibility themselves.

There is something fundamentally wrong when a large social group is losing its members more often to murder than to any other cause of death. And those doing the killing are within that same social group. Can anyone claim its a coincidence that the most popular music in that group glorifies crime, gangs, and is demeaning to women? Isn't it a sign that something is wrong when academic success is branded as betrayal of that same group?

I understand that both Cosby and Obama may have put things in a lousy way. I have not read much of what Farrakhan has said on the matter. But I would hope he preaches that the cure is to stand up and be responsible for your own lives. I would hope he preaches to get an education, stay clear of gangs and drugs, and to look to your own future.

Otherwise, he may have a better delivery, but the message isn't going to help.

You had me agreeing with much of what you said until "The chronic near Great Depression levels of unemployment, not to mention rampant job discrimination, endemic failing public schools, and stigma of a criminal record virtually condemn many young black men to wear the tag of societal failures as men and fathers."

Unemployment levels are not at Great Depression levels. The rampant job discrimination is something that I would question. I am not saying that there is no discrimination, but "rampant"?

Unemployment in many black communities IS at Great Depression levels, and rampant discrimination, which quite obviously, you don't have a clue about how pervasive it is, does contribute to the high levels of unemployment.

And if you don't know or believe that a criminal record stigmatizes someone .. well, where do I begin?

But the last two items I have a bigger problem with. The failing public schools and the stigma of a criminal record are both things that the individual had a hand in. You will never hear me singing the praises of the american public school system. But if you fail there, its largely your own fault. If a student puts forth the effort, they can learn what they need to learn. The fact that so many are functionally illiterate is largely due to their own lack of effort at it. There have been far too many people who went thru the same schools and the same situations and succeeded to make this a valid reason for failure. At some point these young people had to choose between studying and getting somewhere or wearing their pants hanging off their ass and being "cool".

As for the criminal record, other than the ones with drug possession records, they all committed a crime that carries more than the sentence served. On the one hand these felons are stimatized, but they are also seen as heros in many circles. Thats how the whole droopy pants fashion started. Now I am not debating that all blacks in prison are guilty. But those who DID commit the crime have to bear the responsibility themselves.

Another case of you not knowing what you're talking about. You're talking white male invented stereotypes, not reality. The "droopy pants fashion" began with two young rappers, who were not in prison nor did they have criminal records, who called themselves Kriss Kross.

krisskross.jpg

Nor are felons seen as "heros" in the black community .. just more bad information you've latched onto.

There is something fundamentally wrong when a large social group is losing its members more often to murder than to any other cause of death. And those doing the killing are within that same social group. Can anyone claim its a coincidence that the most popular music in that group glorifies crime, gangs, and is demeaning to women? Isn't it a sign that something is wrong when academic success is branded as betrayal of that same group?

You are just chock-full of bad information that is more suited to what you may want to believe than it is the truth.

Therre is something fundamentally wrong with comparing a free social group to one that is only relatively free. There is something fundamentally wrong with 400 years of oppression and 42 years of relative freedom .. which inevitably leads to all manner of problems .. but through the problems have come incredible success .. AND if the system of justice that this same oppressed group had to face was fair and balanced, there would be a hell of a lot less men from that group in prison.

There is something fundamentally wrong when one group, whites, make up over 70% of all illegal drug users in America, but the vast majority of those arrested and sentenced for drugs belong to a group that makes up about 13% of all illegal drug users.

And that music you allude to .. obviously you are unaware that the VAST majority of people who buy and listen to that music are white .. BY FAR. It's also the most listened to and imitated music on planet earth.

I understand that both Cosby and Obama may have put things in a lousy way. I have not read much of what Farrakhan has said on the matter. But I would hope he preaches that the cure is to stand up and be responsible for your own lives. I would hope he preaches to get an education, stay clear of gangs and drugs, and to look to your own future.

Otherwise, he may have a better delivery, but the message isn't going to help.

Perhaps you should first educate yourself on what Farrakhan said if you're going to comment on him .. and perhaps you should research how successful the Nation has traditionally and continues to be on family life and fatherhood before you comment on what you don't know.

Last edited:
I never denied that a criminal record stigmatizes someone. I just stated that the criminal act was a choice by the individual. The problem is not that a criminal record stigmatizes people, its that they did something to get a criminal record. Arguing about the stigma is treating a symptom not the cause.

As for the baggy pants, I was basing my statement on what I have read in numerous places. If I am mistaken, it is because I have not spent a great deal of time researching it. Not because I am choosing to believe things that suit my viewpoint.

As for my comment about felons being viewed as heros, I did not say the entire black community views them as such. I said they were viewed as heros in certain circles. And I think that is the case in many inner city groups of young people. I base this on information I obtained while taking a course designed to encourage teachers to work in the poorer schools and the inner city schools. Part of what we were taught was that constant recognition of academic achievement can cause a great deal of social problems for kids in inner city schools. I was taught that the honors awards programs, very often, are held with little warning because of a tendency towards absenteeism by the recipients at the event. And I was also taught in this course, that very often a convicted felon can have as much, if not more, influence on the kids as a teacher or someone attempting to mentor them. That the felony conviction was not a social stigma.

I never said that the music I talked about was exclusive to the black community. I know full well that it is not. But to deny that it glorifies violence and demeans women is to ignore a large portion of that music. When the main art form kids are exposed to condones criminal behavior I believe that there is an influence there. I believe that the overtly violent music is a bad influence on white kids too. But that wasn't the topic we were discussing.

'Perhaps you should first educate yourself on what Farrakhan said if you're going to comment on him .. and perhaps you should research how successful the Nation has traditionally and continues to be on family life and fatherhood before you comment on what you don't know."

I did, in fact, say that I did not know much about what Rev. Farrakhan said. I was commenting on what I thought his message should say. I did not comment on him at all really. There is no need to be so condescending about my lack of knowledge about him. If that is what he is saying then we agree. If its not then we disagree.

I am not some rich white kid who is repeating what he heard from Rush Limbaugh. I grew up lower middle class, and spent several years very poor. I have stood in line with my food stamps and lived in government housing. I am not saying that qualifies me as an expert, but it has given me some first hand knowledge of some of the problems.

If I am mistaken about some facts, it is not due to my wanting to oppress or suppress anyone or any facts. It is out of genuine ignorance on the topic.

I would appreciate being informed or helped to see. But if you are going to slam Obama and Cosby for their method of delivering their message, you might look at your last post. The way you delivered your message was far more hostile than I deserved. It was also condescending as hell. And your assumption that I am the enemy is an outright mistake.

I never denied that a criminal record stigmatizes someone. I just stated that the criminal act was a choice by the individual. The problem is not that a criminal record stigmatizes people, its that they did something to get a criminal record. Arguing about the stigma is treating a symptom not the cause.

The problem is that you're comparing a totally free group of people to a relatively free group of people. The problem is the criminal JUST-US system is seriously racist and unjust. African-Americans are doing time for the exact sme crimes that whites get probabtion for .. proven, documented FACT

As for the baggy pants, I was basing my statement on what I have read in numerous places. If I am mistaken, it is because I have not spent a great deal of time researching it. Not because I am choosing to believe things that suit my viewpoint.

I accept that .. but consider my position. I listen to white guys who spread the same false misinformation all the time, who are obviously getting it from the same place you did.

As for my comment about felons being viewed as heros, I did not say the entire black community views them as such. I said they were viewed as heros in certain circles. And I think that is the case in many inner city groups of young people. I base this on information I obtained while taking a course designed to encourage teachers to work in the poorer schools and the inner city schools. Part of what we were taught was that constant recognition of academic achievement can cause a great deal of social problems for kids in inner city schools. I was taught that the honors awards programs, very often, are held with little warning because of a tendency towards absenteeism by the recipients at the event. And I was also taught in this course, that very often a convicted felon can have as much, if not more, influence on the kids as a teacher or someone attempting to mentor them. That the felony conviction was not a social stigma.

Obviously one of the places you get false and misleading information.

Black students are not stigmatized for being smart or getting good grades. All of my children have had a 3.0 gpa and above .. every one of them and NONE, as in ZERO, have ever been chastized for being smart. I have a grandson who carries a 3.8 gpa and he is the most popular boy in his school .. and he lives in the inner city in Detroit .. where I grew up and carried a 3.4 gpa and NEVER once in my life was I EVER made fun of because I had good grades.

The only influence I've ever heard of that a felon has on school children is in the Scared Straight program. People don't walk around the community with "I'm a felon" plastered on their shirt. The difference is that African-Americans know the injustice of the police and courts and recognize whites get "special" treatment in criminal cases.

I never said that the music I talked about was exclusive to the black community. I know full well that it is not. But to deny that it glorifies violence and demeans women is to ignore a large portion of that music. When the main art form kids are exposed to condones criminal behavior I believe that there is an influence there. I believe that the overtly violent music is a bad influence on white kids too. But that wasn't the topic we were discussing.

I haven't denied that some rap music is destructive, but no les destructive than other music that comes out of the white community that glorifies hate, suicide, drugs, and the denigration of women. I don't like rap music in general, but I'd rather have my child listening to Tupac Shakur rather than Marilyn Manson. The music isn't the problem, a sex and drug obssessed society is.

'Perhaps you should first educate yourself on what Farrakhan said if you're going to comment on him .. and perhaps you should research how successful the Nation has traditionally and continues to be on family life and fatherhood before you comment on what you don't know."

I did, in fact, say that I did not know much about what Rev. Farrakhan said. I was commenting on what I thought his message should say. I did not comment on him at all really. There is no need to be so condescending about my lack of knowledge about him. If that is what he is saying then we agree. If its not then we disagree.

I am not some rich white kid who is repeating what he heard from Rush Limbaugh. I grew up lower middle class, and spent several years very poor. I have stood in line with my food stamps and lived in government housing. I am not saying that qualifies me as an expert, but it has given me some first hand knowledge of some of the problems.

If I am mistaken about some facts, it is not due to my wanting to oppress or suppress anyone or any facts. It is out of genuine ignorance on the topic.

I would appreciate being informed or helped to see. But if you are going to slam Obama and Cosby for their method of delivering their message, you might look at your last post. The way you delivered your message was far more hostile than I deserved. It was also condescending as hell. And your assumption that I am the enemy is an outright mistake.

If I appear hostile, I apologize .. but again, consider that I hear these kind of stereotypical falsehoods all the time. Walk a day in my shoes and I guarantee you will come a way more than a little bit defensive.

I appreciate your honest opinions, and I'll respect your comments as honest opinions in future.

Solitary,

Question .. Why should African-Americans, particularly young ones, have any respect for police, the courts, and the law .. given that they have no respect for African-Americans? The war on drugs is nothing more than a war on African-Americans.

I'm not a criminal, never have been .. but I also have no respect for the police, courts, or the law. I abide by the law, but that's different than respecting it.

Why would I respect police who continue to beat, terrorize, murder, and set up innocent black people?

Why would I respect a court system that hands out racist injustice on a daily basis?

Not having fathers available to children has been linked to just about every bad situation that children may find themselves in; from poor performance in school, to poverty, to sexual abuse, to neglect, drug use, gangs, etc. Again, doesn't matter the race, the message needs to be addressed across the board.

BAC, you said marriage isn't the issue, if I understood correctly because sex happens and kids result. While not wishing to turn back time even if possible, it seems to me that the old ideas of making out of wedlock children something to be avoided, not applauded was and is a good idea. Not just for the children, but for the adults too. There is a reason that those with college education are significantly less likely to divorce, it's as much of a circular phenomenon as is the circle of poverty. Those that are married are more likely to not be in poverty, be employed and stay employed, have children that are less likely to participate in behaviors that will cause them to drop out of school, etc. As a society to not support marriage seems self-defeating to me. (BTW, I am divorced and it was not a 'friendly one.' I'd say that I have some first hand knowledge of how difficult it is to raise children without their father.)

Yes, there has always been and will always be out of wedlock births and divorce. Mistakes do happen and some marriages just are not sustainable. However, as a society, neighborhood, family, we do not have to construct standards that say to children having children, that it's ok. While supporting the mother and baby, it seems reasonable to make sure the mother and father know that this is not a good road to be on. They've put their child at risk and HERE'S how to help that child avoid those risks.

Likewise within our culture, we should do what we can to encourage marriage and keeping it together whenever possible. We have gone from a culture that was overly harsh to one where no judgment is passed. Fathers that send money, while building new families, feel they have done their job. Cheating spouses are understood, rather than shunned by friends and relatives.

Solitary,

Question .. Why should African-Americans, particularly young ones, have any respect for police, the courts, and the law .. given that they have no respect for African-Americans? The war on drugs is nothing more than a war on African-Americans.

I'm not a criminal, never have been .. but I also have no respect for the police, courts, or the law. I abide by the law, but that's different than respecting it.

Why would I respect police who continue to beat, terrorize, murder, and set up innocent black people?

Why would I respect a court system that hands out racist injustice on a daily basis?

According to this report (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/sandlle.htm) almost 25% of working police officers are from a minority group. Do you include them in the "no respect" section?

all blacks do is act "gangsta" has they call it and call each other the "n" word and the men get the woman pregant and they brag about it saying they got a notch on their belt.black males really are the scum of the earth

all blacks do is act "gangsta" has they call it and call each other the "n" word and the men get the woman pregant and they brag about it saying they got a notch on their belt.black males really are the scum of the earth
Wow I had completely cleared up my ignore list and now you jump on it.

alln, What about my nieghbor who has an intact family and raised every one of his kids?

What about the white nieghbors I have who have abandoned their kids and even said things to them like Im done with you?

You alln are an short sighted fool who has to stomp on other people just to feel tall.

Those kinda people are bad which makes me good by default huh?

When you say that all people with red hair are ballarina dancers because you knew a red head who was a ballarina and you saw other redheads on TV dance ballet you show us just what an idiot you are.

You dont know every black person and you dont know every red head. You just know how to convience yourself that you are really not as sad and pathtic as you feel inside by insulting others you dont even know.

The person is obviously a troll saying ignorant things to get a rise out of people. Ignore it. Do not feed the troll.

I didn't answer your question, BAC, because I was trying to do a little research online. But work has been demanding my attention (imagine the gall of them expecting me to do work) so I wasn't as successful.

I know the studies that have shown a big inequality in the justice system.

But I would like to see information that checked the corrolation between having money and the rates of being incarcerated.

Without having facts to back up my assumption, I would guess that the white population has a higher percentage of people with a decent amount of money. I would suggest that it is the money, not the color of skin, that is the biggest difference between doing time and getting probation.

After all, if two men are caught with drugs, and one shows up in court in an orange jumpsuit with a public defender and the other shows up in a nice suit with a lawyer he hired, which would you think would go to jail?

According to this report (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/sandlle.htm) almost 25% of working police officers are from a minority group. Do you include them in the "no respect" section?

Yes, I do. I didn't say the white police, I said the police .. although statistics demonstrate a significant difference a diverse police department makes, they are still part of a racist system. I respect individual officers who demonstrate qualities deserving of respect regardless of their race, but I have no respect for the police as a whole.

My question to you is why would I?

Innocent black people are murdered, beaten, and setup by police all the time, including a 92 year-old woman sitting quietly alone in her home .. something that would have NEVER happened to a 92 year-old white woman sitting quietly alone in her home no matter where she lived.

Why would I?

I didn't answer your question, BAC, because I was trying to do a little research online. But work has been demanding my attention (imagine the gall of them expecting me to do work) so I wasn't as successful.

I know the studies that have shown a big inequality in the justice system.

But I would like to see information that checked the corrolation between having money and the rates of being incarcerated.

Without having facts to back up my assumption, I would guess that the white population has a higher percentage of people with a decent amount of money. I would suggest that it is the money, not the color of skin, that is the biggest difference between doing time and getting probation.

After all, if two men are caught with drugs, and one shows up in court in an orange jumpsuit with a public defender and the other shows up in a nice suit with a lawyer he hired, which would you think would go to jail?

Do more study my brother. It has little to do with quality of lawyers and far more to do with race.

You can start here ...
http://www.sentencingproject.org/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=606

By the way .. the beauty of working from home .. nobody is looking over my shoulder.

Just thought I'd rub that in. :rolleyes:

Back