Why is Obama getting a pass that Cosby didn't get?

By the way .. the beauty of working from home .. nobody is looking over my shoulder.

Just thought I'd rub that in. :rolleyes:

Ouch! lol

Yes, there are distinct advantages to working from home.

But I get to travel, I get to teach, and I actually like my job.

I didn't answer your question, BAC, because I was trying to do a little research online. But work has been demanding my attention (imagine the gall of them expecting me to do work) so I wasn't as successful.

I know the studies that have shown a big inequality in the justice system.

But I would like to see information that checked the corrolation between having money and the rates of being incarcerated.

Without having facts to back up my assumption, I would guess that the white population has a higher percentage of people with a decent amount of money. I would suggest that it is the money, not the color of skin, that is the biggest difference between doing time and getting probation.

After all, if two men are caught with drugs, and one shows up in court in an orange jumpsuit with a public defender and the other shows up in a nice suit with a lawyer he hired, which would you think would go to jail?

I'll see what I can find. I remember some data that showed across the board, blacks and other minorities are arrested, prosecuted, and jailed in situations that whites are not.

Ouch! lol

Yes, there are distinct advantages to working from home.

But I get to travel, I get to teach, and I actually like my job.

These are all very good things my brother and I am sincerly happy for your good blessings.

But I'm probably older than you, died last year in April, and glad to be able take life slower, and make a good living doing things I like and I'm good at.

Pleased to meet you.

These are all very good things my brother and I am sincerly happy for your good blessings.

But I'm probably older than you, died last year in April, and glad to be able take life slower, and make a good living doing things I like and I'm good at.

Pleased to meet you.

Ummm, not to be too inquisitive, but are you saying that you died last April?

I'm 48 years old. Not quite a youngster, but having a grand time in my 40s.

Damn, where are my manners.

I am indeed blessed in many ways. It sounds like we both are.

The pleasure is all mine, my friend.

Not having fathers available to children has been linked to just about every bad situation that children may find themselves in; from poor performance in school, to poverty, to sexual abuse, to neglect, drug use, gangs, etc. Again, doesn't matter the race, the message needs to be addressed across the board.

BAC, you said marriage isn't the issue, if I understood correctly because sex happens and kids result. While not wishing to turn back time even if possible, it seems to me that the old ideas of making out of wedlock children something to be avoided, not applauded was and is a good idea. Not just for the children, but for the adults too. There is a reason that those with college education are significantly less likely to divorce, it's as much of a circular phenomenon as is the circle of poverty. Those that are married are more likely to not be in poverty, be employed and stay employed, have children that are less likely to participate in behaviors that will cause them to drop out of school, etc. As a society to not support marriage seems self-defeating to me. (BTW, I am divorced and it was not a 'friendly one.' I'd say that I have some first hand knowledge of how difficult it is to raise children without their father.)

Yes, there has always been and will always be out of wedlock births and divorce. Mistakes do happen and some marriages just are not sustainable. However, as a society, neighborhood, family, we do not have to construct standards that say to children having children, that it's ok. While supporting the mother and baby, it seems reasonable to make sure the mother and father know that this is not a good road to be on. They've put their child at risk and HERE'S how to help that child avoid those risks.

Likewise within our culture, we should do what we can to encourage marriage and keeping it together whenever possible. We have gone from a culture that was overly harsh to one where no judgment is passed. Fathers that send money, while building new families, feel they have done their job. Cheating spouses are understood, rather than shunned by friends and relatives.

Sorry I missed your post.

The problem with this is that marriage is failing all across the board. The median duration of marriages in the US is 7.9 years, the children of such marriages would less tha 8 years old .. and 43.7% of custodial mothers and 56.2% of custodial fathers were either separated or divorced.

While I agree that marriage is preferable, in some instances, it's not even the norm.

I agree with almost everything you've said here, and I've been divorced myself so I know that song .. but the reality is that we live in a sex, drugs, and rock and roll .. and rap society that sells sex to babies, and puts explicit acts of sex on TV, and advertises "member enhancement tools" on TV during family shows, .. in that environment babies will happen.

The question is how does our society do what it can to nurture good parenting?

Ummm, not to be too inquisitive, but are you saying that you died last April?

I'm 48 years old. Not quite a youngster, but having a grand time in my 40s.

Yes, dead as in not breathing, heart stopped dead. Didn't completely come back from the dead for 4 days.

I'm 58 and glad I've lived my life full.

40's is a good time .. so are 60's.

Life is what we make it.

Have a good time.

Yes, dead as in not breathing, heart stopped dead. Didn't completely come back from the dead for 4 days.

I'm 58 and glad I've lived my life full.

40's is a good time .. so are 60's.

Life is what we make it.

Have a good time.

Wow, I thought it was a typo and I was joking.

Glad to have you back from the other side.

I'm curious, do you remember anything?

Dead is forever in my opinion, if you are alive, you have never been dead.

I suppose you can have an opinion of what the definition of "dead" is.

But medically speaking you can be dead and come back.

How would you define dead? If its "forever" then no one can actually be pronounced dead unless forever is finished.

Sorry I missed your post.

The problem with this is that marriage is failing all across the board. The median duration of marriages in the US is 7.9 years, the children of such marriages would less tha 8 years old .. and 43.7% of custodial mothers and 56.2% of custodial fathers were either separated or divorced.

While I agree that marriage is preferable, in some instances, it's not even the norm.

I agree with almost everything you've said here, and I've been divorced myself so I know that song .. but the reality is that we live in a sex, drugs, and rock and roll .. and rap society that sells sex to babies, and puts explicit acts of sex on TV, and advertises "member enhancement tools" on TV during family shows, .. in that environment babies will happen.

The question is how does our society do what it can to nurture good parenting?
...and I agree with nearly all of the above. Without being Tipper Gore about this, we are not forced to accede to the sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, though that seemed a good idea in my youth. ;) Truth is, people, especially children were better off with the mores of our grandparents, (again, that doesn't imply they didn't have premarital sex or there weren't illegitimate births, but because it was considered 'wrong', people went out of their way to not get caught.)

Leaving aside my plan to change our current culture, let me don my teacher hat and see where today's parents may be going wrong. First off, I'm hoping it's beginning to turn around, though that's really going out on a limb here, at least anecdotally, our first grade class this past year is the first time I've seen a likely group of 6 year olds as jd's in the making. *sigh*

Being the offspring of parents born in the 1920's I'd say like many, my brother and I wanted for very little. My dad returned with his purple heart from Omaha Beach and my folks married. By the time they had me, (after having my older sister, who had Down's), they had bought a house in a pretty nice Western suburb of Chicago. My sister had been placed in a home from the hospital, which my mom really never got over blaming herself for. That became worse when in the 70's mainstreaming became more prevalent.

My brother and I participated in any activities of the park district, schools, YMCA that we wished. Christmas was an orgy of bikes, toys, games, clothes, etc. We did have the example of my folks working, they didn't have unlimited income, but with only two kids, we really wanted for nothing. While my parents had high expectations for us, they weren't particularly strict. We got away with and pulled a lot of stunts. They did however make us work for our spending money by the time we were 14. I guess the depression was not unacknowledged.

Both my brother and I have been much more strict with our kids. While we were dating, drinking, etc. from about 15 on, well not our kids. I think we realized how much trouble even 'good' kids can get into, without parents knowing. Almost from leaving toddlerhood, they had to earn extras. Good grades were expected. Work was expected, unless they were in extra curricular activities. College too was expected, not an option. That may have been a mistake.

While my parents were not college educated, the town I grew up in was highly skewed towards college educated homeowners. Even back in the 60's the 'head of household' was 80% likely to have a college degree. I think I lucked out, for all my parent's nods at leniency, they would not tolerate and made that clear, drugs or serious disrespect for adults or the law. You'd be surprised how many of my friends' very educated parents thought it was good for their children to stand up against teachers and police. Now these were good people, they just bought into the idea that challenging authority, including themselves, would make for stronger children. It didn't really work out that way. Thought they did get themselves, 'educated.' I don't have any 'childhood' friends that didn't graduate college, most with master's and doctorates.

Many of my friends have had serious problems with parenting. Several of their children have dropped out of school, yes they did return and graduate, but not without lots of heartbreak. Several have eating disorders, two have been involved with 'cutting' themselves. Two have tried to commit suicide.

In a way I think my own kids lucked out with our turbulent homelife, though I certainly wouldn't have hoped for such. Out of necessity for two years I worked an average of 80 hours per week. My oldest at that time was in her second year of high school, the youngest in 6th grade. They had to step up and get things done around the house. They had to get themselves off to school and to their own jobs or sports events. I couldn't be the soccer mom and they really were forced into self-sufficiency and self-control.

Those last two things, sufficiency and control are missing from too many of our youth, nay even adults. Because they haven't had to exercise either, they don't know how. They actually panic when told they need to be accountable-at home, school, work. They haven't had to and do not know how. In effect, we've created a generation that doesn't know how to be mature, much less parent.

Way back at the beginning I said that I'm hopeful things are starting to turn around. I think there are signs of that. Many parents of the students I teach are beginning to hold their kids accountable, rather than blaming the school, teacher, or other students. That wasn't true 5-8 years ago and it's not true of all parents, but it appears to becoming more common place. I've actually had parents asking why I don't assign more homework. :eek: Truth to tell, I think I assign enough with what they do in class, but it's nice to hear parents that want their kids to work.

I teach in a parochial school, most of the parents are affluent, however most are blue collar business owners, not college educated. They don't necessarily want their children building houses, roofing, or cutting stone. They have the money to send them to the best schools and they don't want them working too hard. They'd rather they work smart.

While the school demographics haven't changed much, somehow the idea that one can get into elite schools without work has. Now it may be anecdotal to my school, the sociologist in me keeps rearing up with this. Several students from my first few years of teaching were given scholarships to Yale, Stanford, and NY University. They were kids that were brilliant, but also had a work ethic. They have become somewhat leaders to many of the parents. When asked what set them apart from their peers, I have to answer, 'they worked. They sought out and accepted challenges above and beyond the normal workload.' How many 7th graders would work through "Democracy in America"? The kid that got into Yale did.

In high school these were kids that took AP courses at every opportunity and still found time for sports and service. We're not talking about the norm, we're talking all state and developing programs from scratch. To help the homeless or to teach English to immigrants. This type of work takes hours of time and an abundance of self-discipline.

It may well be that the generation stuck between the baby boom and their children, will be the saviors of our culture. A working thesis this is. ;)

Wow, I thought it was a typo and I was joking.

Glad to have you back from the other side.

I'm curious, do you remember anything?

I've lost some memory, some of the memory I lost was how to do my job as a database adminstrator. It was wierd given that I've been a DBA for about 16 years. After my trauma, I took an on-line DBA test and scored miserably. Then the test site sent me an email asking if I was the same person who scored 91% on their test before. I had forgotten that I'd tested there before.

Now I sometimes have thoughts that I don't know if they are memories or dreams. My wife can help me out sometimes if its a memory of something we've done together.

That being said, I ain't whining my brother. My technical memory is coming back, helped by doing software development and small on-line DBA maintenence work for the last year .. and I get to spend more time writing, a passion of mine.

Life is good, taking my meds religiously, daughter coming home from Iraq, new beginnings .. life is good.

...and I agree with nearly all of the above. Without being Tipper Gore about this, we are not forced to accede to the sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, though that seemed a good idea in my youth. ;) Truth is, people, especially children were better off with the mores of our grandparents, (again, that doesn't imply they didn't have premarital sex or there weren't illegitimate births, but because it was considered 'wrong', people went out of their way to not get caught.)

Leaving aside my plan to change our current culture, let me don my teacher hat and see where today's parents may be going wrong. First off, I'm hoping it's beginning to turn around, though that's really going out on a limb here, at least anecdotally, our first grade class this past year is the first time I've seen a likely group of 6 year olds as jd's in the making. *sigh*

Being the offspring of parents born in the 1920's I'd say like many, my brother and I wanted for very little. My dad returned with his purple heart from Omaha Beach and my folks married. By the time they had me, (after having my older sister, who had Down's), they had bought a house in a pretty nice Western suburb of Chicago. My sister had been placed in a home from the hospital, which my mom really never got over blaming herself for. That became worse when in the 70's mainstreaming became more prevalent.

My brother and I participated in any activities of the park district, schools, YMCA that we wished. Christmas was an orgy of bikes, toys, games, clothes, etc. We did have the example of my folks working, they didn't have unlimited income, but with only two kids, we really wanted for nothing. While my parents had high expectations for us, they weren't particularly strict. We got away with and pulled a lot of stunts. They did however make us work for our spending money by the time we were 14. I guess the depression was not unacknowledged.

Both my brother and I have been much more strict with our kids. While we were dating, drinking, etc. from about 15 on, well not our kids. I think we realized how much trouble even 'good' kids can get into, without parents knowing. Almost from leaving toddlerhood, they had to earn extras. Good grades were expected. Work was expected, unless they were in extra curricular activities. College too was expected, not an option. That may have been a mistake.

While my parents were not college educated, the town I grew up in was highly skewed towards college educated homeowners. Even back in the 60's the 'head of household' was 80% likely to have a college degree. I think I lucked out, for all my parent's nods at leniency, they would not tolerate and made that clear, drugs or serious disrespect for adults or the law. You'd be surprised how many of my friends' very educated parents thought it was good for their children to stand up against teachers and police. Now these were good people, they just bought into the idea that challenging authority, including themselves, would make for stronger children. It didn't really work out that way. Thought they did get themselves, 'educated.' I don't have any 'childhood' friends that didn't graduate college, most with master's and doctorates.

Many of my friends have had serious problems with parenting. Several of their children have dropped out of school, yes they did return and graduate, but not without lots of heartbreak. Several have eating disorders, two have been involved with 'cutting' themselves. Two have tried to commit suicide.

In a way I think my own kids lucked out with our turbulent homelife, though I certainly wouldn't have hoped for such. Out of necessity for two years I worked an average of 80 hours per week. My oldest at that time was in her second year of high school, the youngest in 6th grade. They had to step up and get things done around the house. They had to get themselves off to school and to their own jobs or sports events. I couldn't be the soccer mom and they really were forced into self-sufficiency and self-control.

Those last two things, sufficiency and control are missing from too many of our youth, nay even adults. Because they haven't had to exercise either, they don't know how. They actually panic when told they need to be accountable-at home, school, work. They haven't had to and do not know how. In effect, we've created a generation that doesn't know how to be mature, much less parent.

Way back at the beginning I said that I'm hopeful things are starting to turn around. I think there are signs of that. Many parents of the students I teach are beginning to hold their kids accountable, rather than blaming the school, teacher, or other students. That wasn't true 5-8 years ago and it's not true of all parents, but it appears to becoming more common place. I've actually had parents asking why I don't assign more homework. :eek: Truth to tell, I think I assign enough with what they do in class, but it's nice to hear parents that want their kids to work.

I teach in a parochial school, most of the parents are affluent, however most are blue collar business owners, not college educated. They don't necessarily want their children building houses, roofing, or cutting stone. They have the money to send them to the best schools and they don't want them working too hard. They'd rather they work smart.

While the school demographics haven't changed much, somehow the idea that one can get into elite schools without work has. Now it may be anecdotal to my school, the sociologist in me keeps rearing up with this. Several students from my first few years of teaching were given scholarships to Yale, Stanford, and NY University. They were kids that were brilliant, but also had a work ethic. They have become somewhat leaders to many of the parents. When asked what set them apart from their peers, I have to answer, 'they worked. They sought out and accepted challenges above and beyond the normal workload.' How many 7th graders would work through "Democracy in America"? The kid that got into Yale did.

In high school these were kids that took AP courses at every opportunity and still found time for sports and service. We're not talking about the norm, we're talking all state and developing programs from scratch. To help the homeless or to teach English to immigrants. This type of work takes hours of time and an abundance of self-discipline.

It may well be that the generation stuck between the baby boom and their children, will be the saviors of our culture. A working thesis this is. ;)

Good thoughts.

The difference is that we have to accomodate a place for people who come from poor beginnings like me. My mother spent a few years on welfare, my stepfather had to sneak to visit the family because welfare required no men anywhere near his family. I think my eyes are a bit asian slanted because I grew up eating rice for breakfast and dinner. Mix a bit of Pet Milk with water, pour it over rice, add butter, and sugar if you have it .. and presto, breakfast cereal.

However, I cherish my poor beginnings. My neighborhood while poor in financial resources, was rich in love and caring.

I believe and hope that you may be right .. that generation between ours and our children, may be the better solution.

Sometimes I wonder if some poverty in a kids early years is a bad thing or not.

When my kids were little we were broke. Since there was no money in the budget for movies or other entertainment, we spent more time together doing fun stuff. We didn't buy video games, we went to the library.

My brother has two kids the same ages as my older two. They are fairly good kids, but have had some problems mine didn't. Neither of his finished college and his younger one ended up pregnant right after high school.

Two of mine have graduated college and one is due to graduate next may. No disciplinary problems in 12 years of school. (sorry, I can't help it when I talk about my kids)

My brother and his wife were much better of financially than we were. And I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

It's an experience that defies definition.

My guess is that the situation is much like a comatose person, except that you are generally out (an hour or less in most cases) for such a short time that there has been little/no opportunity to do an examination and produce research on the nervous system/etc.

Back