will there be a draft after the midterms?

Care4All,

You write: "Well, there is a back door draft going on now...is what they are saying?"

There's no "backdoor draft." When you enlist in the armed forces, the contract clearly states the conditions under which you can be called up from the Individual Ready Reserve.

Until the first Gulf War, of course, none of us ever believed that would really happen (I went IRR in September of 1990, but managed to get back into my unit instead of waiting to be called up from IRR to a "casualty replacement company" as many of my friends were), but it's not like it's a secret. Do a search for the standard enlistment contract. There are two IRR callup provisions in it (one for when the president declares a state of emergency, the other requiring congressional authorization). The enlistee has to initial next to each one to signify that he or she understands and accepts it.

Regards,
Tom Knapp

What is the congressional authorization one? When Congress legally and constitutionally declares a war or they write law to call you back up??? please explain...

So is it the PRESIDENT calling a state of emergency that is calling back up these guys? or is it congress that is calling back up these guys?

thank you in advance...

care

The Marines are calling up special MOS.s. They are not just pulling in guys to run a combat patrol. These are highly trained individuals in communications and things like that. They will be used in training the new troops. A lot of these position might be going unfilled because they are REMF jobs and the Marines in now prefer being in the action.
Yes they are highly trained guys and we need more of them and less of the "muscle" of the army imho....they need to restructure their forces for today's world....but not through the back door... :D

care

You guys think this is all something new....My regualr enlistment was extended way back in 65,66....normal operating procedure....then and now...

And do you think the government just pays the reservists because it has extra money lying around? If you joined the Reserves, you should have realized what they were paying you for.....again ....NOP..

Moral of the story is:

Learn 2 Read

I knew full well that this provision was in my enlistment contract when I joined. These people have no reason to complain.

Because YOU KNEW IT, it doesn''t matter at all that others did not read the fine print!

Hooray for blackflag, he knows how to read and interpret a contract, to hell with the other 18 year olds.... ;)

Because YOU KNEW IT, it doesn''t matter at all that others did not read the fine print!

Hooray for blackflag, he knows how to read and interpret a contract, to hell with the other 18 year olds.... ;)

Care - it doe's make sense you must admit! Also, anytime you join any branch of the service you have to leave open the possibility that you may be called to serve otherwise they are fooling themselves. Why did these people sign up? was it just because they had no other future ambitions, and chose to sign to gain a career? could be, but ya still have to know that the option of being called to duty exists.

Care - it doe's make sense you must admit! Also, anytime you join any branch of the service you have to leave open the possibility that you may be called to serve otherwise they are fooling themselves. Why did these people sign up? was it just because they had no other future ambitions, and chose to sign to gain a career? could be, but ya still have to know that the option of being called to duty exists.

this was not always the case s/e, from when the draft ended through the 80's but before the gulf war, you could eliminate these call up exceptions from your contract, and they still took you in for your active service years...

i admit, that it does make sense....especially if they are making these 18 year olds aware of it and singled out from the rest of their contract by requiring them to initial it, after reading it....as someone mentioned above.

care

for a paid for, chance at a college degree...so they could better themselves?

And I think that the services is a great way to go for those who take it for this purpose, however there are other options that exists to further your education, and to better yourself. I am just suggesting that you should not sign into any form of service if you do not recognize the possibility that you could be called upon.

Don't see it for what it's not Care, I hate the idea of youngsters going to war!
I have a relaitve of 19 that has recently went back to iraq for a second tour, he was a bit troubled to begin with so I don't know where it will all leave him when it's over...

And I think that the services is a great way to go for those who take it for this purpose, however there are other options that exists to further your education, and to better yourself. I am just suggesting that you should not sign into any form of service if you do not recognize the possibility that you could be called upon.

Don't see it for what it's not Care, I hate the idea of youngsters going to war!
I have a relaitve of 19 that has recently went back to iraq for a second tour, he was a bit troubled to begin with so I don't know where it will all leave him when it's over...

NOT in this day and age, that's for certain! they should expect to stay active for 8 years instead of 4 active/4 inactive.... imo!

sadly, probably pretty messed up! :(

there are consequences that are ugly, when we send our soldiers to war....we forget about them too easily i am sorry to say!

not viewing our dead soldier's caskets return home is a means used to desensitize us to the casualties of war.

not viewing daily those that were injured in their rehab centers learning to walk on one leg....desensitizes us to the casualties of war.

not getting the accurate counts of the dead on the other side for the first two and a half years of this war desensitizes us to the casualties of war.

telling us made up stories about tillman desensitizes us to the casualties of war...

i see these things as a reverse propaganda, utilized by our government through censorship as the main cause for these desensitization of the masses to war!

this kind of action will only lead to more and more wars....if we don't view the harms that are caused from them.

and we are letting our gvt do this to us by just some of the actions i mentioned above....

in addition to this, it is unconstitutional and breaking the bill of rights.

care

What is the congressional authorization one? When Congress legally and constitutionally declares a war or they write law to call you back up??? please explain...

So is it the PRESIDENT calling a state of emergency that is calling back up these guys? or is it congress that is calling back up these guys?

thank you in advance...

care
The contract stipulates nothing of the source, simply of need. They may need your experience and training. Honestly it is something that doesn't happen unless they are in conflict, at least not often, but it is designed so that outgoes cannot cripple the military.

and we are letting our gvt do this to us by just some of the actions i mentioned above....

in addition to this, it is unconstitutional and breaking the bill of rights.

care

Care - I most definitely understand your points! However there are many people that are labeled here like myself as a war cheerleader, many people including myself are well aware of the consoquences of war, anyone who does'nt is just plain naive!

not viewing our dead soldier's caskets return home is a means used to desensitize us to the casualties of war.
Viewing it for the purpose of an ad campaign is also dead wrong!
You can say not acknowledging the dead is desensitizing, I can see in this context it's polarizing. Casualties of war is something nobody likes period but so long as their is war, their will be casualties. War is something that is always going to be there in this big world, to think otherwise is just a pipe dream.

Care4All,

You write:
"What is the congressional authorization one? When Congress legally and constitutionally declares a war or they write law to call you back up??? please explain...

So is it the PRESIDENT calling a state of emergency that is calling back up these guys? or is it congress that is calling back up these guys?"

So far as I know, it's only presidential right now. The president can call up troops from IRR for up to two years based on his declaration of an emergency. Congress can call them up "for the duration" of either a congressionally declared emergency or an actually declared war.

Regards,
Tom Knapp

Back