will there be a draft after the midterms?

Murtha's resolution may not have included calendar dates, per se, but it was QUITE comprehensive. If only the republicans in congress would have allowed it to come up for a vote.

Ummm yeah......as exampled by their minority positions in the house, senate, and WH.

Not at all. I think the dems have had their a$$es handed to them in the realm of PR. There is no rational explanation as to why Bush won in 04. Given his track record at the time, fiscal conservatives especially should have been furious, yet moderates like Klaat and Immy still casted their vote for Monkey boy. The republicans had done a wonderful job swift-boating Kerry, villifying his wife, and painting him as a weak candidate. When hte truth is, he was infinitely better than Bush.

There is no clear explanation as to why bush won in 04? sure there is, more voted for him! Unless you wanna debate a conspiracy that is what we have to believe. I choose not to buy into conspiracy theories so I will stick to the fact that Kerry was a lousy candidate, yet you have already declared him better! how so, has his campign demostrated that?

I say immediately begin withdrawal of equal US troops each time new Iraqi troops pass from training to active duty. Talking up their troops as being able to "stand on their own" and make a HUGE deal of each returning soldier as well as our actual removal of troops. Only remove them to other bases in the area to watch over them... Sinop, Turkey would be a great place, Kuwait, etc... Prepare for Iran.

That is what I would put forward. That and to never again allow our Senate/Congress to go to "war" without a DECLARATION... I'm sick of the "I voted to allow him a lever to get cooperation, not to allow war." Declaration would end all those weak piddling, "I didn't think it was a vote for war..." backdoor simpering idiocies. Everybody else knew it was a vote for war.... I expect intelligent Senators to give me better reasons than that!

The Murtha resolution included no calendar dates, purposely.

its nice that you all admit to this now, but i believe it was one of YOUR STATE representatives Dano, that called murtha a CUT AND RUN TRAITOR, on the floor of the house of representatives...and YOU never spoke out about what she did and SAID!
so, is he a ''cut and runner'' or someone with no calendar dates of withdrawl?
:D

I say withdraw asap(that doesnt mean tomorrow) ...use a withdraw of Iraq to bargain with Iran ... hold fort in area's that will peacfully accept us ..
Moving out of the region as much as possible will or should signal attempts to resolve with peacful means ..
Now.. this will prove out a couple of things ... we will be able guage the reaction of Iran ... Iran will be tested on the world stage ....

Right. Get out of the middle of a civil war and redeploy to areas, where it is tenable to base US troops.

The kurds sort of like us. Redeploy to Iraqi kurdistan, Kuwait, and Qatar. We'll still be able to project power in the region, but we wont' be in the middle of a civil war.

I think there is a realistic way to claim victory as each new soldier is brought up in Iraq, one of ours leaves with great fanfare... "We are passing the torch on to our new allies whose strength is now... blah, blah, blah..."

Murtha's resolution may not have included calendar dates, per se, but it was QUITE comprehensive. If only the republicans in congress would have allowed it to come up for a vote.
Nonsense, that would be the same as voting for a program without any budget numbers. You need numbers, so you can actually SEE what you are really voting for.
Good government doesn't pass vague bills of rhetoric.

those of you that support us staying the course in iraq, if you were the leader of Iran, and you knew you were the number 2 guy on a list of three axis of evils, and knowing number 1 had already been attacked, what would be your BEST TACTIC?

MY answer is that you would flood IRAQ with people causing havock...civil war tactics....

why, you ask?

because it will tie up the usa for some years and give me time to build up and pursue my aresenol....

and with shiites being the same tribe in both iran and iraq, it is RELATIVELY easy for iran to do such....imho!

And yes.... I firmly believe that without the support of a majority of America - Bush would not have been able to wage war against Iraq. Those Americans who supported the war AND CONTINUE TO DO SO and are of fighting age need to go fight in it. The Marine Corps just called up INACTIVE fucking reservists yesterday, for crissakes! Asking reservists who had done their active and reserve bits to leave their jobs and families to go fight in this war while there are supporters of fighting age who hide behind someone's petticoats is despicable[/b]

Well then I guess it should be the majority of America joining the war then, right?

Nonsense, that would be the same as voting for a program without any budget numbers. You need numbers, so you can actually SEE what you are really voting for.

LOL, they sure did for bush on his war :)

Sorry you did say good government didn't you.

really? well that is PRECISELY what the republicans have DONE the last 6 years! like the iraqi war costs are never in the budget...while they claim how well they are doing on cutting or keeping the budget in line...

plus all of their omnibus bills, delivered the night before having to vote on it with all kinds of pork hidden in it........

sure dano...what you are saying is nothing less than hollow on this because you still ''hold up'' these idiots and make excuses for them! imo

Although morons like yourself would call me a neocon which I am not, I would certainly take pride in being drafted. I have no fear of being drafted, don't think I would fit the bill but I would'nt have to be asked twice.

Why not jump the gun and enlist?

Although morons like yourself would call me a neocon which I am not, I would certainly take pride in being drafted. I have no fear of being drafted, don't think I would fit the bill but I would'nt have to be asked twice.

Why not jump the gun and enlist?
Been there done that.. AOI. He has already answered this one.

I don't expect a draft unless the US goes to outright war with Iran ... but that's a real possibility.

US forces are stretched. Keep in mind that it's not so much a matter of overall military size any more in Iraq. It's a matter of a few specific KINDS of troops: Mostly infantry with a smaller component of artillery, armor and rotary-wing air support and probably a downright tiny fixed-wing component. The cooks, B-52 pilots, etc. in the military might as well not be counted at THIS stage of THIS conflict.

If I had to guess, I'd say the bottlenecks are a) RECRUITMENT of infantry (it's just harder to get someone to sign up to carry a rifle or mortar right now) and b) TRAINING of field medical personnel and helicopter pilots (they don't just sign the contract and get handed their first aid kit or their Apache).

The US has the overall force size/strength to fight Iran, but it doesn't have the ground combat element size/strength to do so, especially with large pieces of that ground combat element already tied down in Iraq and Afghanistan. Iran has three times the population of either of those other two countries, and a more modern military to boot ... and that population is much younger as well. They'll have no shortage of manpower. An air war will not break them. They lost a million dead in their war with Iraq and didn't say uncle.

On the "good news indications" front, I've seen no evidence that the Selective Service Administration is gearing up for an imminent draft. I serve on one of its local boards and they don't seem to be in any hurry to get us up to speed to be able to start processing deferment applications and such. The standards call for draftees to begin being inducted about 90 days from the time Congress says "go," but there would presumably be a ramp-up if Selective Service expected Congress to do so.

Regards,
Tom Knapp

This war has prooved that the majority of the american people are sheeple easy to be misled.

Man, isn't that the truth! All the propaganda about oil pipelines in Iraq, revenge for daddy, PNAC, lying to the American people about WMD's, misleading us into a quagmire... I would have never imagined the American people to be so gulliable as to buy all the conspiracy theories and propaganda spun by sour-grapes Democrats looking to regain power, but they certainly have! You are absolutely right! Brilliant observation!

There will not be any kind of draft until the US is outright attacked on a much larger scale than 911 and more than one country is involved. It would have to involve a real long conflict that would take more than a few divisions to conquor the areas involved. we have much more high tech equipment now and the troops are a lot more highly trained. Small numbers of quality troops can do a lot more than a bunch of cannon fodder. A draft would not be pratical.

There is a definate conflict coming with iran. Would be nice if we could take them down the way it was done in afgan with a small number of troops, airpower and the locals uprising against the government.

As for the Marines being called back to duty. They are inactive reserve with special training that is needed or going to be needed soon. They have critical MOS's that take a long time to train people in and many are being called up not for duty overseas but to train new people in the jobs and get them ready. If they were all going overseas then get ready for a big invasion cause thats the only reason to bring these guys back in and put them directly into line.

Whether Bush made the right choices about iraq will not be known for at least another ten years. I do feel he underestimated the shea and iran. I think even he is being to recognize we are at war with islam. And iran is the head of it. When iran falls you will find OBL.

Whereever the troops are and whatever they are doing, I'm cheering them on. And I see the need of going after the enemy before he has the chance to strick. Pre-emptive action is an absolute must to prevent innocent people from getting killed. And I would rather our enemies innocent people get killed rather than ours.

I was drafted myself. I was a combat veteran before I was old enough to drink or vote. I know exactly what the troops over there are dealing with and how they feel. They volunteered and continual deployment is the main morale problem. But the ones there are the ones experienced in desert combat and conditions. That's an important factor in combat conditions.

I was very much for saddam being taken down. I also knew it would be a long occupation process before we could get out of there. I didn't expect there would be as much secular action as there has been. But then I did more reading about islam and now I can see where the problems with democranizing the middle east are going to be. It can't be done as long as islam is in control there. We are going to have to confront that at some point and it will be bloody. But whatever happens i'll be here with my pompoms cheering for the troops. My age and a quadruple bypass prevent me from serving again or you can bet I would be trying.

I salute SE for his loyalty to the country and had he been younger with less responsibilities I'm sure he would be over there now. The question here is, if called up to go serve how many would give up what they have to go? How many would hightail it for canada to avoid serving? So many on here love to critize and flame but I bet there are not many that would atually sacrifice their time and put their careers on hold for their country?

Been there done that.. AOI. He has already answered this one.

Yes but the masses here wanna find a way or another to make me out the bad guy as I have supported the issue, if they can't twist the story to suit the argument this will make for a solid argument.

Back