Woman driving corvette 155 mph kills father of two. Liberals are silent

Assuming the court sentences her to such. I think the prosecutor can make a pretty convincing case here (if he's not completely inept like most prosecutors I've seen).

If the prosecutor starts throwing the case, we know the corvette driver's family is politically connected to the Republican Party. Her only hope here is that her parents have a long history of donating to the Republicans.

Cars have improved quite a bit since the 60's. No street legal car went 200mph in the 60's, but there are several models that can do it today.

I do not understand all the barriers, but I clearly see there were barriers to going faster than 200mph. They started trying to get production models that could go faster than 200mph in the 1930's, and 50 years later finally got a few.

I question why do it. There is no way to drive 200 mph safely on the roads. Why would it be important to drive in the same car on the road that you drive on the track? You can have one car for the track, which you only get speed out of, and one car for the roads, which is street legal, and has less speed.

I am not against it, so much as wonder why it is so important. I think it is more for showing off.

Not that any State has a 200 mph speed limit on their roads. :D

Germany has roads without a speed limit. There was an American state without a speed limit on some roads for a brief period, but I cannot remember which state.

There is no way going 200 mph on a road can be safe. It can start making sense on a racetrack. In theory, these cars would be driven on the roads at normal speeds, and driven on the racetrack at 200 mph.

Germany has roads without a speed limit.
None. Even the Autobahn has speed limits on part of that road. Average speed on the Autobahn is around 90mph (144kph) outside of posted speed limits.
There was an American state without a speed limit on some roads for a brief period, but I cannot remember which state.
None. Montana once had no posted speed limit, but expected drivers to maintain a 'prudent speed'. You could still be pulled over for speeding at that time. Currently rural freeway speed limit in Montana is 80mph.
There is no way going 200 mph on a road can be safe.
On a properly constructed surface, there is no problem. I might also point out that a typical passenger jet lands at speeds above this onto what is effectively a dead end road.
It can start making sense on a racetrack.
IF the racetrack is properly constructed to handle those speeds.
In theory, these cars would be driven on the roads at normal speeds, and driven on the racetrack at 200 mph.
Not even in theory. In practice.

Motorcycles have no seatbelts,
None needed. Indeed, they make a motorcycle MORE dangerous, not less.
and no safety cages to hold the passenger in anyway.
Not needed. Indeed, they would make a motorcycle MORE dangerous, not less.
That means they have an extraordinary high injury and death rate.
WRONG. The only reason motorcyclists have a high injury or death rate is by driving stupid.
I have no reason to believe this motorcycle driver did anything wrong, and every reason to think the corvette driver did everything wrong. That being said, I definitely believe the motorcycle driver would have been better off had he been in a car.
No difference. Getting hit by a Corvette at 155 mph will generally kill the people hit, whether they were in a car or on a motorcycle.

If the prosecutor starts throwing the case, we know the corvette driver's family is politically connected to the Republican Party. Her only hope here is that her parents have a long history of donating to the Republicans.

The Hate is Strong with you.

I do not understand all the barriers, but I clearly see there were barriers to going faster than 200mph. They started trying to get production models that could go faster than 200mph in the 1930's, and 50 years later finally got a few.

I question why do it. There is no way to drive 200 mph safely on the roads. Why would it be important to drive in the same car on the road that you drive on the track? You can have one car for the track, which you only get speed out of, and one car for the roads, which is street legal, and has less speed.

I am not against it, so much as wonder why it is so important. I think it is more for showing off.

The barriers were engines with lower efficiency, bearings that couldn't handle those speeds until recently, and brakes that couldn't handle those speeds until recently.

None. Even the Autobahn has speed limits on part of that road.

The autobahn is not a single road, but rather the highway network of Germany. Parts of it do not have a speed limit. That being said, you are expected to drive safely, and I doubt you could drive legally at 200 mph.

On a properly constructed surface, there is no problem.

It is more than just the surface(and turns). You need the road to be limited to vehicles that are going very fast too. You would not be able to have deer running across the road, or cars breaking down on the road. It just would not be possible in our current society.

I might also point out that a typical passenger jet lands at speeds above this onto what is effectively a dead end road.

With a fence around it, and limited access to the runway. If you put a fence around the road, limit access to the road, have it constantly monitored to make sure there are no obstacles, then you have a runway.... Or a racetrack.

The autobahn is not a single road, but rather the highway network of Germany. Parts of it do not have a speed limit. That being said, you are expected to drive safely, and I doubt you could drive legally at 200 mph.
Legally you could (for certain sections), but not physically. Too many cars in the way.
It is more than just the surface(and turns).
Not really.
You need the road to be limited to vehicles that are going very fast too.
You're the only car on the track.
You would not be able to have deer running across the road, or cars breaking down on the road. It just would not be possible in our current society.
Deer have run across active racetracks and freeways before. There really is no stopping them. Hitting one (not a glancing blow) even at 60mph will definitely total your car and possibly kill you. They are the most dangerous wild animal in existence for a reason. They have killed more people than any other wild animal.
With a fence around it, and limited access to the runway.
Not always! Many airports have no fence! For those that do, it's often pretty minimal. Deer and other critters get on the runway quite often. I've personally had to deal with avoiding deer, rabbits, ox, cattle, seagulls, squirrels, snakes, and even people on the runway. Airport fences won't stop deer or anything else I've listed.
If you put a fence around the road, limit access to the road, have it constantly monitored to make sure there are no obstacles, then you have a runway....
Most runways are NOT monitored, Sock. Even if the airport has a tower, they often don't see a critter on the runway. They find out because a pilot reported it.
Or a racetrack.
Racetrack fences won't stop deer or anything else I've listed for runways.

You seem to think fences are some sort of magickal barrier to all critters. Deer easily jump such fences. Birds easily fly over them. Other critters easily get through them. People easily go around or over these types of fences.

Last edited:

If you aren't going 100 mph + stay the FUCK out of the left lane! You can get a ticket in Germany faster for going slower in the left lane than you will for speeding like a low flying jet fighter...

If you aren't going 100 mph + stay the FUCK out of the left lane! You can get a ticket in Germany faster for going slower in the left lane than you will for speeding like a low flying jet fighter...

And never, ever, ever pass on the right. In the USA it is a minor issue, in Germany it is a major moving violation.

Back