Women-only gym hours stir debate at Harvard

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/04/harvard.gym.ap/index.html

I think its kind of ridiculous. Go to Lucille Roberts or Curves if it means that much too you. Why should everyone else be inconvenienced and put out of work for a few hours because they are men?

This is just BS:

The majority should be willing to compromise," she said. "I think that's just basic courtesy. We must show tolerance and respect for all others."

Well where the fck is there tolerance?

It just affects one of their gyms for two hours three days a week. If that's the only way a good bit of the population feels they can work out, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to do something like that.

It just affects one of their gyms for two hours three days a week. If that's the only way a good bit of the population feels they can work out, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to do something like that.

Its a matter of principal.

If they have men only, the should have women only.

The article says nothing about male only gyms. It's about Muslim women wanting to work out alone.

I don't like it. If evangelical Christian women wanted to work out alone I wouldn't like it either.

The article says nothing about male only gyms. It's about Muslim women wanting to work out alone.

I don't like it. If evangelical Christian women wanted to work out alone I wouldn't like it either.

It seems like the majority of people like the coed setting. If they don't then they should go to a private gym that caters to their needs.

My sympathies lie with this schmuck:

"It's not that I am opposed to the idea of helping people in religious groups or women in general, but I just think Harvard is not being fair to people like me who live (near the gym)," Wells said in an interview.

seriously that religion needs to chill out. if this culture adopted the make love not war policy perhaps they wouldn't feel the need to go to war all the time and annually smash there heads until they are bleeding.

I think if i never got to releave myself I probably also would be unable to hold a job, get in fights with my neighbors, and smash my own head with a stick... not to mention medically be far more likely to develop prostate cancer.

Maybe if they divided the gym up during those hours, I'd have less of a problem with it. But I'd be pissed if i were a student and I was told that I couldn't go to the gym at certain times because it was men only.

Personally, I don't give a crap about Muslim women's "sensebilities". Calling Misogyny a religion doesn't make is so. I don't think we should change our culture to incorporate debasement of women to men in order to make people feel comfortable.

Personally, I don't give a crap about Muslim women's "sensebilities". Calling Misogyny a religion doesn't make is so. I don't think we should change our culture to incorporate debasement of women to men in order to make people feel comfortable.

my sentiments exactly.

Harvard is attempting to accomodate demand as best they see fit. Bitching about this is like bitching about Spanish speaking customer service lines.

Harvard is attempting to accomodate demand as best they see fit. Bitching about this is like bitching about Spanish speaking customer service lines.

Yep the only constant in the world is change.
Change scares most people.
So some change is to keep people safe from change ? ie isolate the different cultures instead of blending them ?
This is not a good course though.
We should emphasize our similiarities not our differences.

Back