Women-only gym hours stir debate at Harvard

Harvard is attempting to accomodate demand as best they see fit. Bitching about this is like bitching about Spanish speaking customer service lines.

Exactly. It's the least used gym on the outskirts of campus and it's three days a week for two measly hours. Not a big deal. It's a mild inconvenience at best.

My concern though, is what's next? Separate locker rooms for women?

Exactly. It's the least used gym on the outskirts of campus and it's three days a week for two measly hours. Not a big deal. It's a mild inconvenience at best.

My concern though, is what's next? Separate locker rooms for women?

Darned Straight for furriners, I don't want my stuff in my locker smelling like curry.

:D

Harvard is attempting to accomodate demand as best they see fit. Bitching about this is like bitching about Spanish speaking customer service lines.

I don't see that as being the same analogy. It would be more like if for several hours a day three times a week customer service lines in the U.S. only spoke Spanish. Guys don't have a choice at that gym.

Yep the only constant in the world is change.
Change scares most people.
So some change is to keep people safe from change ? ie isolate the different cultures instead of blending them ?
This is not a good course though.
We should emphasize our similiarities not our differences.

If you think its a good thing that muslim are forced to act this way because of their men then that's your thing. I'm with Darla, I think it sucks.

Harvard is attempting to accomodate demand as best they see fit. *&^ about this is like b*&^ about Spanish speaking customer service lines.

Hardly. If there were no English speaking lines from the hours of X to Y maybe you'd have a point, but you don't. The gym is completely off limits to the guys for those times and that's not fair. And who is to say that that is where it will stop?

Yes yes pure bullshit. If there husbands don't want men to see them work out they need to watch a Bowflex infomercial and buy their wives a home gym. I mean what the hell are they doing out of the house anyway without their men?

Yep the only constant in the world is change.
Change scares most people.
So some change is to keep people safe from change ? ie isolate the different cultures instead of blending them ?
This is not a good course though.
We should emphasize our similiarities not our differences.

who is this in reference to?

It is only one of many gyms too. What are people whining about?

Because this is where it starts. Why should anyone have to suffer even the mildest of inconveniences due to someone's religion particularly when its based in se xism?

all people.
We need to blend in together vs emphasizing our differences.

What happened to America being the great melting pot ?

This is where I have a problem. Why should we have to change our customs for any religion?

Like we have not done that already ?

Many changes in our laws because of religion already.

then there is the issue of where does religion end and custom begin ?

Is the no nudity rules in the exercise room a religious or a customs thing ?

The no booze stores next to churches a custom or religious thing ?

Last edited:
LMAO@Lady T...

'Look at Me I'm Sandra Dee'...Grease sound track

[nomedia]www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKBcqdyONow[/nomedia]

I don't support those either.

taking Darla's point a step further it shouldn't be treated as a religion but a group that discriminates against woman.

are no nudity or booze rules against only certain people or do they apply to all?

that is true, except I have never seen a noodle toddler arrested.
But it is still a cultural thing based on religion.

And sanitation.

Would you really want to sit down on a chair or seat if the person who sat it in before you was having some sort of herpes flare up?

taking Darla's point a step further it shouldn't be treated as a religion but a group that discriminates against woman.

I'm not saying that Islam shouldn't be treated as a religion, but, though I'm not a student of the religion, I doubt that stoning to death women, and forcing them to cover up and live in fear and lower their eyes, is a part of it. So what some people have perverted it into should not be respected as "religion" no.

I mean come on, if all of a sudden Muslims or Mormons or whoever started saying well it's against our religion to swim with black people, would we resegregate public pools? Fuck no, and no one on this board would claim we should.

But here, we're only talking about women.

Back