World's greatest churches

Praise God from whom all blessings flow or words to that effect.

I always thought of Jesus as a humble man. One that wasn't a Materialist but more a Spiritualist. I'm not sure he would endorse 'Shiny Objects' with His name upon them?

I always thought of Jesus as a humble man. One that wasn't a Materialist but more a Spiritualist. I'm not sure he would endorse 'Shiny Objects' with His name upon them?

He went to Temple, went so far as to run off money changers who were disrespecting it.
While he did not care for pretense as piety, he was clear in that he was good with the church.

Hagia Sophia has not been a Christian church for over 500 years, and what you see in the interior today is probably re-decoration ordered by the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire in the 19th century.

The classical Byzantine architectural elements - which I think are beautiful and stunning - speak to the church's origins as the the patriarchal cathedral of Eastern Orthodoxy. I do not think Jesus would become irate at beautiful stonework, impressive engineering, and glorious architectural designs.

While I agree with you that Jesus might not appreciate ostentatious displays of treasure and bling, I cannot say I have ever seen jewel-encrusted statues, idols of solid gold, or piles of rubies, diamonds, and emeralds in any Orthodox or Catholic church I have ever been in. I do not think Jesus would be outraged by paintings, symbolic sculpture, floral arrangements, or beautifully rendered crosses and stained glass.

Russian icons are just blocks of wood, painstakingly painted with religious themes by skilled artisans. That is fairly pure and simple when you really think about it.

6266071248_af56b2623f_o.jpg

7998458383_b141b7bef2_k.jpg

Hagia Sophia has not been a Christian church for over 500 years, and what you see in the interior today is probably re-decoration ordered by the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire in the 19th century.

The classical Byzantine architectural elements - which I think are beautiful and stunning - speak to the church's origins as the the patriarchal cathedral of Eastern Orthodoxy. I do not think Jesus would become irate at beautiful stonework, impressive engineering, and glorious architectural designs.

While I agree with you that Jesus might not appreciate ostentatious displays of treasure and bling, I cannot say I have ever seen jewel-encrusted statues, idols of solid gold, or piles of rubies, diamonds, and emeralds in any Orthodox or Catholic church I have ever been in. I do not think Jesus would be outraged by paintings, symbolic sculpture, floral arrangements, or beautifully rendered crosses and stained glass.

Russian icons are just blocks of wood, painstakingly painted with religious themes by skilled artisans. That is fairly pure and simple when you really think about it.

I think there are two different issues at play here.

1. Architecture.
2. Religion.

No one can argue that these 'Pyramids of Europe' aren't gorgeous examples of what Man can dream up and build.
Once the Bible was translated into the language of the Locals, the Protestant Movement was created. The Roman Church was seen as a scam, with these 'Monuments to Jesus' as prime examples.

As an Agnostic, I can appreciate the architecture just for the architecture.
As an Agnostic, I can sympathize with the Locals as they read the Bible in their own language and realized they were duped by the Clergy Class, the High Priests of the Day.

I think there are two different issues at play here.

1. Architecture.
2. Religion.

No one can argue that these 'Pyramids of Europe' aren't gorgeous examples of what Man can dream up and build.
Once the Bible was translated into the language of the Locals, the Protestant Movement was created. The Roman Church was seen as a scam, with these 'Monuments to Jesus' as prime examples.

As an Agnostic, I can appreciate the architecture just for the architecture.
As an Agnostic, I can sympathize with the Locals as they read the Bible in their own language and realized they were duped by the Clergy Class, the High Priests of the Day.

I do not begrudge anyone who thinks that religion and spirituality should be pure and simple.

I used to attend Quaker meetings. Folding metal chairs and a simple room. Completely spartan and devoid of any aesthetic enhancement.

And that was all perfectly fine with me.

I do not begrudge anyone who thinks that religion and spirituality should be pure and simple.

I used to attend Quaker meetings. Folding metal chairs and a simple room. Completely spartan and devoid of any aesthetic enhancement.

And that was all perfectly fine with me.

Cypress: "I do not begrudge anyone who thinks that religion and spirituality should be pure and simple."
Jack: I would guess every Cult is different. My impression was that the Christian Cult preached a simple lifestyle, one that was more 'spiritual' than 'materialistic'. The vast quantities of monies that went into these 'Shrines for Jesus' probably put the Peasant Class into cardiac arrest once they found out what the Bible really said. Somewhat amusing. Reminds me of the TV Evangelists with their private jets.

Cypress: "I used to attend Quaker meetings. Folding metal chairs and a simple room. Completely spartan and devoid of any aesthetic enhancement."
Jack: Probably closer to 'the life of Jesus' and His lifestyle, in my opinion. (I don't belong to the Christian Cult, so I'm not endorsing either)

According to Dr. William R. Cook, Professor of Religious History at SUNY Geneseo, these are the world's greatest churches.
My favorite is Hagia Sophia.

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre
Hagia Sophia
The Cave Churches of Cappadocia
The Rock-Hewn Churches of Ethiopia
The Mosque-Cathedral of Córdoba
The Stave Churches of Norway
The Pilgrimage Church of Sainte-Foy
The Cathedral of Monreale
Chartres Cathedral
Winchester Cathedral
The Cathedral of Siena
St. Peter’s Basilica
The Wieskirche in Bavaria
La Compañía and Las Lajas Sanctuary
Guadalupe and the Cathedral of Mexico City
La Sagrada Família
Iceland’s Hallgrímskirkja

Hagia Sophia
7KLEOcw.jpg

You forgot Bubba's Bar & Grill & Baptist Church in Hoxie, Arkansas. (I kid you not that was a real church. LOL)

This is a Catholic church in Massillon, Ohio. St. Mary's. As you're travelling down State Route 21 South, it looms on the horizon like a Gothic Castle. I have always admired the building, though sadly have never been inside, I now regret that, and will make an effort to see it, maybe even attend mass, though I am not Catholic.

ea896560d6c0d3035d967f7f78f0d72d.jpg

14hgicdp6xwcyvynoviyll4re7f.JPG

This is a Catholic church in Massillon, Ohio. St. Mary's. As you're travelling down State Route 21 South, it looms on the horizon like a Gothic Castle. I have always admired the building, though sadly have never been inside, I now regret that, and will make an effort to see it, maybe even attend mass, though I am not Catholic.

ea896560d6c0d3035d967f7f78f0d72d.jpg

14hgicdp6xwcyvynoviyll4re7f.JPG

That is remarkable.
I am not Catholic either, but I enjoy visiting those old, Gothic catholic churches simply to admire their architecture, stained glass, aesthetic qualities, and frankly just the feeling of serenity I feel when I am in them.

Back