Wright on PBS

When I see KKKers like Bravo complain about the american greek-orthodox church, for being too pro-greek, I'll cut him slack for complaining that a black church embraces a pro-african theology.

Until then, I'm chalking Bravo's "problem" with Obama's church as being race-baiting at best - outright klan racism at worst.

reading a website for 30 seconds, does not make you an expert in black liberation theology, nor does it make you expert to pronounce judgement that its a racist theology.

Your the only bush loving hack left on this board who's still trying to spin obama's church as racist. The rest have given up - and for good reason. It was bullshit from the start. No one has ever complained when jewish churches promote strong, pro-israeli theologies. Or take strong positions in favor of the interests of the jewish american community.

The fact that you single out a black church for representing the interests of its constituents, means you're a racist at heart.

still trying to spin obama's church as racist. ???

Hell...they proudly admit to their beliefs...

The vision statement of Trinity United Church of Christ is based upon the systematized liberation theology that started in 1969 with the publication of Dr. James Cone’s book, Black Power and Black Theology.

I didn't make it up....go read it for yourself, or remain in denial and be an ignorant asshole, thats up to you....
I guess remaining an ignorant asshole is a requirement of being a Democrat....

Dr. Cones crazy rants and his theology is well documented.....

Dr. cones ? I thought this was about Wright ?

Lets talk about the Catholic churches long standing policy of condoning pedophillia .

Now that does piss me off.

still trying to spin obama's church as racist. ???

Hell...they proudly admit to their beliefs...

The vision statement of Trinity United Church of Christ is based upon the systematized liberation theology that started in 1969 with the publication of Dr. James Cone’s book, Black Power and Black Theology.

I didn't make it up....go read it for yourself, or remain in denial and be an ignorant asshole, thats up to you....
I guess remaining an ignorant asshole is a requirement of being a Democrat....

Dr. Cones crazy rants and his theology is well documented.....

You're the guy who said invading Iraq was a great idea. Nothing you say, can be trusted. Especially, when you cite something you read in 30 seconds on a website.

I'm not an expert in liberation theology. But, I've invested time in reading theological experts who are. And I'm taking their word, over the word of an Iraq war liar any day of the week. You don't know shit about it. You obviously never went to college. You can't be an expert on something, after reading for 30 seconds about it.

It's not based on everything Cone wrote about, at least according to the site; it's based on liberation theology, which is an old interpretation that talks about Jesus being not just a redeemer, but a liberator, particularly for the poor & oppressed.

Bravo - you always sound so desperate.

Yeah well you saw how he got treated by the neocon warmongers and their friends like you.

You've not read me say anything about Paul's position on 9/11 other than I agreed with it. My opposition to Paul had nothing to do with what he thought about 9/11 or the war, other than he was not the antiwar crusader he pretended to be.

Getting your facts straight before you post would be a good thing.

reading a website for 30 seconds, does not make you an expert in black liberation theology, nor does it make you expert to pronounce judgement that its a racist theology.

Your the only bush loving hack left on this board who's still trying to spin obama's church as racist. The rest have given up - and for good reason. It was bullshit from the start. No one has ever complained when jewish churches promote strong, pro-israeli theologies. Or take strong positions in favor of the interests of the jewish american community.

The fact that you single out a black church for representing the interests of its constituents, means you're a racist at heart.

BRAVO :hand:

We know its on their website as of now....April, 2008

Just so you'd know ..

The theology of black liberation has its beginnings in the midst of American slavery, oppression, murder, rape, and terrorism which continued for more 360years. Cone simply expanded on this path.

Slavers and racists have used the bible and passages like Leviticus 25:44 as a means to decalre that God only loves white people and enslaving, beating, raping, and torturing black people was an act of God. The bible has been the bedrock of white seperatist theology. Look no further than the Klan and just about every other racist organization who presume to speak for God.

Perhaps you think Jesus looked like a Montana biker, but intelligent people do not .. in fact, the bible itself describes Jesus as having wooly hair and bronzed feet.

The goal of black theology is not for special treatment. Instead, all Black theologians are asking for is for freedom and justice. No more, and no less. In asking for this, the Black theologians, turn to scripture as the sanction for their demand.

You just keep on harping on stupidity, you aren't needed to better this nation.

Just so you'd know ..

The theology of black liberation has its beginnings in the midst of American slavery, oppression, murder, rape, and terrorism which continued for more 360years. Cone simply expanded on this path.

Slavers and racists have used the bible and passages like Leviticus 25:44 as a means to decalre that God only loves white people and enslaving, beating, raping, and torturing black people was an act of God. The bible has been the bedrock of white seperatist theology. Look no further than the Klan and just about every other racist organization who presume to speak for God.

Perhaps you think Jesus looked like a Montana biker, but intelligent people do not .. in fact, the bible itself describes Jesus as having wooly hair and bronzed feet.

The goal of black theology is not for special treatment. Instead, all Black theologians are asking for is for freedom and justice. No more, and no less. In asking for this, the Black theologians, turn to scripture as the sanction for their demand.

You just keep on harping on stupidity, you aren't needed to better this nation.

there's no point trying to educate a hack like bravo. You're wasting your time. He wants to believe Obama's church is racist - he NEEDS to believe it - and anything he reads, he will interpret to fit that preconception.

there's no point trying to educate a hack like bravo. You're wasting your time. He wants to believe Obama's church is racist - he NEEDS to believe it - and anything he reads, he will interpret to fit that preconception.

I agree with you brother, but my comments were less about trying to educate the uneducated as opposed to speaking to everyone else reading his ignorance.

He is quite predictable and I doubt he is even capable of intelligent interpretation.

I agree with you brother, but my comments were less about trying to educate the uneducated as opposed to speaking to everyone else reading his ignorance.

He is quite predictable and I doubt he is even capable of intelligent interpretation.

I checked out Wright's speech at the Press club today. It was pretty cool. If one has an open mind, one could definetly learn a lot from him on theological traditions in the african american community. Actually, he's very compelling, and awesome. :)

I checked out Wright's speech at the Press club today. It was pretty cool. If one has an open mind, one could definetly learn a lot from him on theological traditions in the african american community. Actually, he's very compelling, and awesome. :)

I'm betting that no one who attacks him wants to get into a debate about history and religious tradition with him.

He was very compelling.

I’m telling you, I stopped going to church years ago because I couldn’t relate to one damned thing the priests talked about. If Wright or someone like him, had a church around here, I would definitely go.

The modern American origins of contemporary black liberation theology can be traced to July 31, 1966, when an ad hoc group of 51 black pastors, calling themselves the National Committee of Negro Churchmen (NCNC), bought a full page ad in the New York Times to publish their "Black Power Statement," which proposed a more aggressive approach to combating racism using the Bible for inspiration.[1]

James Cone and Dwight Hopkins are considered the leading theologians of this system of belief, although now there are many scholars who have contributed a great deal to the field. It was Cone who in 1969 published the seminal work that systemized black liberation theology, Black Theology and Black Power (1969). In the book, Cone asserted that not only was black power not alien to the Gospel, it was, in fact, the Gospel message for all of 20th century America.
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_theology[/ame]

Of course making up your own facts helps immensely in rationalizing the fantasies you choose to live with......just as Wright does with his borderline insane rants....
Too bad believing bullshit doesn't in fact make the bullshit magically change into facts and reality....but thats your problem, not mine.

The modern American origins of contemporary black liberation theology can be traced to July 31, 1966, when an ad hoc group of 51 black pastors, calling themselves the National Committee of Negro Churchmen (NCNC), bought a full page ad in the New York Times to publish their "Black Power Statement," which proposed a more aggressive approach to combating racism using the Bible for inspiration.[1]

James Cone and Dwight Hopkins are considered the leading theologians of this system of belief, although now there are many scholars who have contributed a great deal to the field. It was Cone who in 1969 published the seminal work that systemized black liberation theology, Black Theology and Black Power (1969). In the book, Cone asserted that not only was black power not alien to the Gospel, it was, in fact, the Gospel message for all of 20th century America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_theology

I'm having a very difficult time figuring out what is so radical or troubling about what you wrote here.

Can anyone help me out here?

Whenever Hannity complains about him he mentions the "AIDS created by the government" thing that is attributed to Wright, and I always think "why do people find it so amazing a black person would think that?" Does NO ONE recall the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment? Why in the world would black people NOT think that it was possible that the US government would infect their community with a disease? Our government DID infect them with a disease and the study went on till Nineteen Seventy fucking Two!
Ok I misspoke, the government didn't infect them with Syphilis, just let them continue to have it without doing anything. Even after Penicillian became the standard course of treatment. So while I did misspeak it is really a distinction without a difference.

Supposedly the government did not infect the men, but there are many contradictions and challenges to that from some of the stories from the men and families of the study.

But even given belief that the government did not infect the men, that makes it no less horrendous and shameful .. and it explains the mistrust by Wright and many of his generation.
And by their INACTION the government did infect wives and children by making the men believe they were being treated. These were doctors sworn to do no harm, they allowed men with syphilis infect there wives and their children.

Back