Yoga in schools called "Hindu Indoctrination"?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cancel3
  • Start date Start date
Feel good bullshit? Suicide is the third leading cause of death for kids between 15 & 24. Obesity is at epidemic levels.

Learning a practice that will teach kids to handle stress and is a good physical exercise is not bullshit.

LOL

So all those kids bit the bullet because they did not do yoga?

P.E. classes have basically disappeared from public schools, why and who let that happen?

About 4 percent of elementary schools, 8 percent of middle schools and 2 percent of high schools provide daily physical education, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Twenty-two percent do not require students to take any phys-ed class.

Parents let the kids sit in front of the TV or XBox for hours.

Make the fat little fuckers run the track, do sit-up, push-ups, bring back PE classes.

LOL

So all those kids bit the bullet because they did not do yoga?

P.E. classes have basically disappeared from public schools, why and who let that happen?

About 4 percent of elementary schools, 8 percent of middle schools and 2 percent of high schools provide daily physical education, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Twenty-two percent do not require students to take any phys-ed class.

Parents let the kids sit in front of the TV or XBox for hours.

Make the fat little fuckers run the track, do sit-up, push-ups, bring back PE classes.

I didn't say the kids killed themselves because they didn't do yoga. I was simply pointing out that yoga has serious benefits.

You are complaining about the lack of PE, and yet you call an exercise that can help both physical fitness and mental clarity bullshit.

Yoga has no religious connotations. There is no religious meaning mentioned in a yoga class.

Asshat, you would have to define "christian meditation". Meditation is not a religious exercise in its own right. When you add christianity to it, it becomes a religious practice and should not be allowed in a public school.

But it's very premise is based on changing consciousness to release the soul into a higher level existence. Those are ideas no different than the teaching of any other religion. Yet you feel free to keep christianity off limits. Why is that?

But it's very premise is based on changing consciousness to release the soul into a higher level existence. Those are ideas no different than the teaching of any other religion. Yet you feel free to keep christianity off limits. Why is that?

You have obviously never taken yoga.

I have never heard any mention of changing consciousness. It is physical exercise coupled with controlled breathing. There is no religious connection.

You have obviously never taken yoga.

I have never heard any mention of changing consciousness. It is physical exercise coupled with controlled breathing. There is no religious connection.
Well, after reading up about it, I had to realize that I was wrong.

The whole premise of yoga:

http://www.yoga-age.com/articles/chida1.html

In Sanskrit, the primary definition of the term Yoga is the state of union with the Divine or the experience of oneness with the great Reality. Yoga, therefore, represents the experience of Truth, the consciousness of Reality, the union with the Divine. There are also secondary meanings of the term Yoga. Yoga is also a set of scientifically evolved and intelligently formulated practical techniques enabling man to shed himself of all the impurities imposed upon him by the nature of his body, mind and senses, and aiding him to concentrate his thoughts entirely upon the Supreme. Thus Yoga means anything that man may do to purify his lower nature, to restrain his senses, to direct his mind towards God, to come into a deep interior level of worship of the Divine and finally to realise his eternal oneness with the Divine Consciousness.

Basically what they are doing is a physical prayer, one that is meant to realize one's eternal oneness with the Divine.

If one is okay with Yoga in this way, it should be okay to recite prayers in school, there is no real difference and if you don't believe it should have the same power over you.

No claim of a supreme being invilved in raising you mind to anothe rlevel on conciousness. You are only more fully using what you have.

what damo said, biatch. Learn something.

Christians kneel and bow their heads when they pray. Does this mean we should not allow kneeling or bowing heads in school?

Christians often use Welch's Grape juice for communion. Does this mean we should never allow Welch's Grape juice in school?

It is the same thing. If the intent is to teach spiritual lessons, then it should not be allowed in school.

If it is simply the physical acts of yoga (as almost all yoga classes are) then there is no need to ban it.

The historic aspect is all well and good. But unless the teachers are teaching the spiritual side, there is absolutely no reason to ban it.

And asshat, I have learned something. I have taken numerous yoga classes and never had any spirituality mentioned in any of them.

Because something originated in a religious practice does not make it part of a religion. Hatha Yoga is USED by hindus to reach spiritual goals. But the practice of yoga itself is not spiritual.

Christians kneel and bow their heads when they pray. Does this mean we should not allow kneeling or bowing heads in school?
Probably not. THere's already no gum.
Christians often use Welch's Grape juice for communion. Does this mean we should never allow Welch's Grape juice in school?
WHy cuz it has high fructose corn syrup? It's fine in moderation dumbass?

Listen to the Corn Lobby.
It is the same thing. If the intent is to teach spiritual lessons, then it should not be allowed in school.

If it is simply the physical acts of yoga (as almost all yoga classes are) then there is no need to ban it.
I think calling it "Yogic inspired exercise with no spritual content" may be acceptable. You will need the approval of the board.
The historic aspect is all well and good. But unless the teachers are teaching the spiritual side, there is absolutely no reason to ban it.
How about mandatory physical exercise facing east five times a day?
And asshat, I have learned something. I have taken numerous yoga classes and never had any spirituality mentioned in any of them.

Because something originated in a religious practice does not make it part of a religion. Hatha Yoga is USED by hindus to reach spiritual goals. But the practice of yoga itself is not spiritual.

Fine words don't mean things. Yoga isn't really yoga. Fine. Run that one up flagpole, skippy.:rolleyes:

why so defensive? The origins of yoga are religious. try google

He also thinks the bailout could be a good deal for taxpayers. He's into a lot of weird shit.

You lying sack of shit. I am certainly not in favor of the bailout.

But please tell us about the hybrid aliens who suck people's blood again.

That was pretty entertaining

You just think it could be a good deal for taxpayers.

No, I never said that either. I said that houses are a sound long term investment.

Its quite a step to where you are.

Can you tell us more about the hybrids now? I want to know about how the lack of human blood makes their reptilian DNA come out.

No, I never said that either. I said that houses are a sound long term investment.

Its quite a step to where you are.

Can you tell us more about the hybrids now? I want to know about how the lack of human blood makes their reptilian DNA come out.

But not sound enough to qualify as a good deal?

why so defensive? The origins of yoga are religious. try google

The origins are in the hindu faith, yes. Does this mean their inclusion in a public school violates the separation of church & state?

The origins are in the hindu faith, yes. Does this mean their inclusion in a public school violates the separation of church & state?

I don't think so, but I understand those who make the case that it does.

That's the only point I'm trying to make

Back