12 years a slave...

are you suggesting that the author of the book upon which the movie was based made the story up?

how could you know that ANY free black men in the north had been kidnapped and take south....not saying it isn't true just seems a little off does it not....

how could you know that ANY free black men in the north had been kidnapped and take south....not saying it isn't true just seems a little off does it not....

I am asking you if you are suggesting that the author of 12 years a slave made the story up. He claimed it happened to him, you know.... was he a liar? Is that what you believe?

I am asking you if you are suggesting that the author of 12 years a slave made the story up. He claimed it happened to him, you know.... was he a liar? Is that what you believe?

it does not sound plausible....by any is he saying every and if not what is the difference....

I saw the PBS movie in 1984 called Solomon Northup's Odyssey. I haven't see the new movie yet, but I would presume that it is just a repeat of the PBS version, and that was quite enlightening.

Didn't realize it was on DVD already - just put it on the list.

Last year was really great for flicks. American Hustle is one of my all-time faves; just a perfect movie, imo.

do you know that he is telling the truth....does it not strike you a little far fetched to say that ANY free black men in the north had been kidnapped and taken south....some, a few, but any....does that mean all, what does that mean.....what about black men who served for the union, they were not kidnapped were they, so there were obviously free black men in the north who were not kidnapped and taken south....

do you know that he is telling the truth....does it not strike you a little far fetched to say that ANY free black men in the north had been kidnapped and taken south....some, a few, but any....does that mean all, what does that mean.....what about black men who served for the union, they were not kidnapped were they, so there were obviously free black men in the north who were not kidnapped and taken south....

can you read or not? This movie is about ONE man.... not some not few not all..... ONE MAN. And he is an historical figure and he wrote about his experiences. The striking thing about the movie is not the fact that a free black man from the north was kidnapped and sold into slavery in the south. The striking thing about the movie was its portrayal of how blacks in the south were treated.

can you read or not? This movie is about ONE man.... not some not few not all..... ONE MAN. And he is an historical figure and he wrote about his experiences. The striking thing about the movie is not the fact that a free black man from the north was kidnapped and sold into slavery in the south. The striking thing about the movie was its portrayal of how blacks in the south were treated.

the statement was any man....does that imply every man and if so how could that be true.....

it does not sound plausible....by any is he saying every and if not what is the difference....

No, by 'any' I was saying I wasn't aware there were ANY free black from the north that were kidnapped. Meaning I was unaware that had happened at all. In what warped world do you take the word 'any' and turn it into 'every'???

No, by 'any' I was saying I wasn't aware there were ANY free black from the north that were kidnapped. Meaning I was unaware that had happened at all. In what warped world do you take the word 'any' and turn it into 'every'???

that makes more sense, next time you might just say so....if at the time a black man was considered property then what is surprising about someone retrieving their property.....

that makes more sense, next time you might just say so....if at the time a black man was considered property then what is surprising about someone retrieving their property.....

what was surprising was that not all black men were property. What was foul was the money motive that would cause people in the north to kidnap free black men in the north and sell them in the south.... what was really foul was the way the people in the south treated black people, whether they had once been free or had been born in slavery notwithstanding.

Back