6 great reasons to give up shrimp for good

Yet Transocean operated the rig, Halliburton did the faulty cement job and Cameron International supplied the faulty blowout preventer! It is also arguably not the largest oil spill as Ixtoc 1 was of the same magnitude and caused an oil slick the size of Hawaii! Of course the biggest was the Persian Gulf release of oil by Mr.Hussein but that wasn't accidental. I would also contend that Exxon Valdez was far worse because it happened in the icy waters of Alaska, rather than the warm waters of the Gulf.
Yup....well read CERCLA. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I believe you mean that Ixtoc oil spill? What I've read is that it was the second largest accidental release after Deep Water Horizon debacle.
Something Mexican yes. It's very possible that estimates of the BP were nudged up on other data and thrust BP into first place. Both were pretty massive.

Something Mexican yes. It's very possible that estimates of the BP were nudged up on other data and thrust BP into first place. Both were pretty massive.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least, there was just so much bullshit spouted about those events and the US media coverage was just execrable to put it mildly. Estimating oil spills is a pretty inexact science at the best of times. I remember all the arseholes on here like Rune claiming that Armageddon had arrived and the Gulf fishing industry was fucked. The arsehole even claimed that the oil would reach Cape Cod and land on the beaches there as well! I said at the time that was all piss and wind and I have been proved 100% right.

Both were indeed massive. As for the numbers being nudged...Neither incident has exact numbers, only estimates. We only know factually that a shit ton of oil was released. Ixtoc estimate is 140 million gallons and Deepwater Horizon an estimated 200 million. In either case that's enough potential fuel to keep Grinds bong lit for at least a year.

I was referring to your denial of the obvious
There are two other oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean of similar magnitude. Ixtoc and the Atlantic Empress spill. Plenty of oil to go around to give those shrimp their distinctive flavor. :)

I like shrimp. I like it boiled, barbecued, broiled, baked, sautéed, ... I like shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried shrimp, deep fried shrimp, stir-fried shrimp, ... I like pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp. I also like shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes...I even like shrimp burgers and shrimp sandwiches.

I like it from the Gulf, from Red Lobster, from Warehouse Willy's ...

Did I mention that I like shrimp?

Yes, Forest; you mentioned that. :D

According to the people I cook for, shrimp tastes even better when I wrap it in bacon. I miss bacon.

event_51904512.jpeg

That wouldn't surprise me in the least, there was just so much bullshit spouted about those events and the US media coverage was just execrable to put it mildly. Estimating oil spills is a pretty inexact science at the best of times. I remember all the arseholes on here like Rune claiming that Armageddon had arrived and the Gulf fishing industry was fucked. The arsehole even claimed that the oil would reach Cape Cod and land on the beaches there as well! I said at the time that was all piss and wind and I have been proved 100% right.
I was surprised to learn that the flora in the Gulf actually eats oil, unique in that regard. Seems that there is a natural seepage of oil up from the floor which seems to have given the plant life a good reason to figure out how to make use of it. Remember that there is less down to drill in the gulf to get at the oil which makes it a handy place to set up your rigs.

Yeah, pretty much everything good. That and my allergy to potatoes which means I have to avoid peppers too.... My diet sux.
I hear ya but would you rather be sick and have more kidney stones? I have to do better on diet and exercise myself or go on HBP meds. I don't really want to be on any meds.

You should try it with some Thai Double Cock shrimp paste.

300x300x2300000266.jpg.pagespeed.ic.dfCJRK8A9X.jpg

http://www.templeofthai.com/food/pickled_preserved/shrimp-paste-double-cock
Oh man that's just cruel Tom. Given Damo's issue with stones you might as well hand him a .45 and tell him to eat a bullet. It would be less painful!

Just in case you didn't know Damo, fermented shrimp paste and fish sauce are used widely in Asian cooking as flavor enhancers as the fermenting process turns sodium chloride and the fish/shrimp into a paste or sauce that's high in monosodium glutamate.

Back