A troubling observation

Rationalist

Hail Voltaire
I've known the core group of this site (Damocles, Grind, 3D, Watermark, SF, and a few others) for nine years. We started out on politics.com, migrated to FullPolitics.com, and eventually wound up here.

Throughout it all, I don't think anyone truly hated each other...that is, until the AOL crowd shuffled in. I'm not singling out liberals here - they're basically all the same. Vicious motherfuckers.

It perplexes me as to how people can hate each other so passionately without even having met each other in person. I can honestly say that I don't even hate Poet. I think he's a lying, hypocritical piece of garbage, but that's another story. This is a message board for Christ's sake. If posting here only fills you with rage, you need to consider whether it is healthy for you to continue participating. Seriously, get some fucking help people.

How I long for the days when things were so simple and innocent.

Last edited:
90+% of the AOLers are on my ignore. They're essentially the worst thing that ever happened to this board. I would give anything to get back the good posters that the AOLers and Legion/Gatorman chased away.

90+% of the AOLers are on my ignore. They're essentially the worst thing that ever happened to this board. I would give anything to get back the good posters that the AOLers and Legion/Gatorman chased away.

Post the evidence that "the AOLers and Legion/Gatorman" chased "the good posters" away...BTW, if the good posters have been chased away, and you're still here....

I've known the core group of this site (Damocles, Grind, 3D, Watermark, SF, and a few others) for nine years. We started out on politics.com, migrated to FullPolitics.com, and eventually wound up here.

Throughout it all, I don't think anyone truly hated each other...that is, until the AOL crowd shuffled in. I'm not singling out liberals here - they're basically all the same. Vicious motherfuckers.

It perplexes me as to how people can hate each other so passionately without even having met each other in person. I can honestly say that I don't even hate Poet. I think he's a lying, hypocritical piece of garbage, but that's another story. This is a message board for Christ's sake. If posting here only fills you with rage, you need to consider whether it is healthy for you to continue participating. Seriously, get some fucking help people.

Someone needs some salve for his buttocks!

Seriously?

All was sweetness, rainbows, puppydogs and civility before the "vicious AOL motherfuckers" showed?

Because I distinctly remember jumping into a debate when I first got here and being called every name in the books by you so called beacons of civility.

Callling me an idiot, clueless, a fucking moron, a retard etc etc taught me real fast that courteous debate, however nice an idea it might be, isn't and hasn't been regularly practiced on this site in a loooooooooooooooong time.

So before you go blaming "the new guys" for any viciousness you find here, maybe you should consider how you bright and shining lights of political debate respond when someone asks a question or dares to put his opinion out there with your learned viewpoints.

Last edited:

Seriously?

All was sweetness, rainbows, puppydogs and civility before the "vicious AOL motherfuckers" showed?

Because I distinctly remember jumping into a debate when I first got here and being called every name in the books by you so called beacons of civility.

Callling me an idiot, clueless, a fucking moron, a retard etc etc taught me real fast that courteous debate, however nice an idea it might be, isn't and hasn't been regularly practiced on this site in a loooooooooooooooong time.

So before you go blaming "the new guys" for any viciousness you find here, maybe you should consider how you bright and shining lights of political debate respond when someone asks a question or dares to put his opinion out there with your learned viewpoints.

lol...if there was ever a perfect example of a whiny butt hurt post ^ is it

I may remind you that USF, USLoyal and Ice Dancer could hardly be called liberal.

I would point out that if Darla, Rana, Ice Dancer and USloyal actually ever met there would be probably be much blood spilt.

Seriously?

I am going to try and not paint people with a broad brush, but I don't think it's a matter of name calling as opposed to how quickly either side moves on from the apparent insult, how long each side holds grudges, how personally people take things, etc. By and large, from my observations, (and I dont know why this is . .) the politics->fp->jpp crew seem to have thicker skin, tend to be more forgiving, and are the type to hand out insults one moment and laugh about something with each other the next.

Additionally, I would say the people that report stuff overwhelmingly are from the AOL group. or at least, not the politics->fp>jpp group.

It's just personality differences, and it really is quite interesting. I don't know if it's just coincidence or what.

But I also enjoy plenty of the Aolers. Some of them are my favorite posters and people here. So they shouldn't have to feel slighted. I just feel that I have to be more discerning when talking to some of them.

I would point out that if Darla, Rana, Ice Dancer and USloyal actually ever met there would be probably be much blood spilt.

maybe...but my belief is, people talk all sorts of crazy shit online because it is anonymous. i do it. i don't talk to people where i live like i do on this site. i just vent here because i don't you and you don't know me. that said, i think the people who really hate each other and aren't just talking smack like i do, will probably act very different if confronted with the person face to face.

for example, being a meter maid i often write things about people i've never met and form opinions based on facts/opinions, but never actually meeting them. there are numerous times when i actually meet the person i gave a ticket to and am surprised at how wrong i was. meeting someone face to face is very different than typing behind a keyboard and monitor. think about internet tough guys, those dweebs would poop themselves in real life if they talked that violent to someone.

I am going to try and not paint people with a broad brush, but I don't think it's a matter of name calling as opposed to how quickly either side moves on from the apparent insult, how long each side holds grudges, how personally people take things, etc. By and large, from my observations, (and I dont know why this is . .) the politics->fp->jpp crew seem to have thicker skin, tend to be more forgiving, and are the type to hand out insults one moment and laugh about something with each other the next.

Additionally, I would say the people that report stuff overwhelmingly are from the AOL group. or at least, not the politics->fp>jpp group.

It's just personality differences, and it really is quite interesting. I don't know if it's just coincidence or what.

But I also enjoy plenty of the Aolers. Some of them are my favorite posters and people here. So they shouldn't have to feel slighted. I just feel that I have to be more discerning when talking to some of them.

tom is an example of this. tom and i have sparred and shared nasty insults, accusations etc....but...he and i can let it go. i respect that about tom. shit gets flung all the time, you can't take it personally.

i talked with my best last night and we laughed about arguments we had years ago...they seem so stupid now. the point? we are still best friends.

I've always said we should plan a get-together and all meet at a bar for drinks. A few beers could settle a lot of things. :)

Seriously?

Yes! That's exactly what happened to me also, just add in "stupid pinhead" and some of Asshat's scatalogical slurs, which I've mercifully forgotten, besides what you already wrote. And let's not forget how some of this board's regulars were treated by others, people like Desh, uscitizen, blackascoal, Cypress and Ibwiseguy, to name a few. It wasn't the AOLers slamming them and taunting them until they left.

It's so easy to blame the new guys but the seeds were sown long before we got here.

As I pointed out to you before, most of that shit came from the wicked witches. You finally managed to excise the cancer of their vituperative attacks.

Yes! That's exactly what happened to me also, just add in "stupid pinhead" and some of Asshat's scatalogical slurs, which I've mercifully forgotten, besides what you already wrote. And let's not forget how some of this board's regulars were treated by others, people like Desh, uscitizen, blackascoal, Cypress and Ibwiseguy, to name a few. It wasn't the AOLers slamming them and taunting them until they left.

It's so easy to blame the new guys but the seeds were sown long before we got here.

christie is right....shit was being flung before the aol people showed up.

but no surprise that christie only sees "victims" when the posters lean left.

yawn.

Just my opinion but I don't think the AOLers are necessarily thinner-skinned, it's just that a lot of personal stuff (i.e. not political opinions) was brought over; then when some of us suspected illegal actions, which I'm not going to rehash, it ramped up the animosity tenfold. I'm perfectly fine with being called a libtard, etc. but keep my family out of it. I don't think you had that particular problem before the AOLers got here.

Blackascoal was an exceedingly literate poster, I didn't always agree with him but he certainly was a powerful wordsmith. I also believe that Cypress was run off the board by certain individuals making scurrilous comments about him.

Blackascoal was an exceedingly literate poster, I didn't always agree with him but he certainly was a powerful wordsmith. I also believe that Cypress was run off the board by certain individuals making scurrilous comments about him.

BAC was terrific. I didn't agree with everything he wrote but I learned a lot from reading his stuff, he opened up another perspective.

Back