Actor bitch-slaps the Right

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
His greatest work and legacy. A true masterpiece. I believe he won the first acadamy award for this movie. The first one in which he has a speaking role.

This was indeed a brilliant piece of work. The speech is one of the greatest ever.

But before you vilify only rightwingers, you might want to take a better look at both sides of the political arena. Hatred abounds. It is not only the right who spouts bullshit and hatred these days.

This was indeed a brilliant piece of work. The speech is one of the greatest ever. But before you vilify only rightwingers, you might want to take a better look at both sides of the political arena. Hatred abounds. It is not only the right who spouts bullshit and hatred these days.

Advice from an admitted liar?

Advice from an admitted liar?

Am I wrong? Do you have some argument with what I said? Or is this just more personal attacks in place of an actual discussion?

And, once again, have you ever lied? lol

This was indeed a brilliant piece of work. The speech is one of the greatest ever.

But before you vilify only rightwingers, you might want to take a better look at both sides of the political arena. Hatred abounds. It is not only the right who spouts bullshit and hatred these days.

Get real. There is only one side spouting hatred and vitriol and evil...and that is "the right". They know nothing else. Always talking about the Bible...and wouldn't know how to interpret it, if pressed. Christ, himself, would spit all of you out.

Get real. There is only one side spouting hatred and vitriol and evil...and that is "the right". They know nothing else. Always talking about the Bible...and wouldn't know how to interpret it, if pressed. Christ, himself, would spit all of you out.

No hatred from the left?

What's to discuss?

According to at least one person in this thread, I am wrong when I say there is hatred being spouted by both sides. Do you agree that there is hatred from both sides or do you believe it is only one side?

According to at least one person in this thread, I am wrong when I say there is hatred being spouted by both sides. Do you agree that there is hatred from both sides or do you believe it is only one side?

Your quarrel is with Poet, not I.

This thread is about Charlie Chaplins eloquent rebuttal of conservatism.

Our current political systems gives a disproportionate voice to the political extremes much to the exasperation of the moderate majority in this nation.

That's a strawman. Chaplin's speech was an eloquent rebuttal of fascism.

Think so?

At the conclusion, the two characters Chaplin portrayed swapped positions through a complex plot, and he dropped out of his comic character to address the audience directly in a speech denouncing dictatorship, greed, hate, and intolerance, in favor of liberty and human brotherhood...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Chaplin

Greed, hate, and intolerance...which contemporary political movement does that describe?

Not that I am aware of. He made enemies with the fascist but to equate all those on the political right as fascist would be a strawman.

Sounds like the Right went after him, according to this:

Although Chaplin had his major successes in the United States and was a resident from 1914 to 1953, he always maintained a neutral nationalistic stance. During the era of McCarthyism, Chaplin was accused of "un-American activities" as a suspected communist and J. Edgar Hoover, who had instructed the FBI to keep extensive secret files on him, tried to end his United States residency. FBI pressure on Chaplin grew after his 1942 campaign for a second European front in the war and reached a critical level in the late 1940s, when Congressional figures threatened to call him as a witness in hearings. This was never done, probably from fear of Chaplin's ability to lampoon the investigators.

In 1952, Chaplin left the US for what was intended as a brief trip home to the United Kingdom for the London premiere of Limelight. Hoover learned of the trip and negotiated with the Immigration and Naturalization Service to revoke Chaplin's re-entry permit, exiling Chaplin so he could not return for his alleged political leanings. Chaplin decided not to re-enter the United States, writing: "Since the end of the last world war, I have been the object of lies and propaganda by powerful reactionary groups who, by their influence and by the aid of America's yellow press, have created an unhealthy atmosphere in which liberal-minded individuals can be singled out and persecuted. Under these conditions I find it virtually impossible to continue my motion-picture work, and I have therefore given up my residence in the United States."[SUP][[/SUP]

Think so?

At the conclusion, the two characters Chaplin portrayed swapped positions through a complex plot, and he dropped out of his comic character to address the audience directly in a speech denouncing dictatorship, greed, hate, and intolerance, in favor of liberty and human brotherhood...

Greed, hate, and intolerance...which contemporary political movement does that describe?
I'd say it would describe any totalitarian or extreme political movement. It applies just as equally against fascist as communist.

I'd say it would describe any totalitarian or extreme political movement. It applies just as equally against fascist as communist.

Yet American rightwing conservatives led by J. Edgar Hoover persecuted Chaplin, not fascists, leftwingers, moderates, or Communists.

Fascists are rightwing. Conservatives are rightwing.

Back