Alaska

Tinkerpeach

So I just accepted a contract job in Kotzebue Alaska to reform one of their schools there.

I hear it get's cold up there.

It will probably be about 9-12 months worth of work.

Does anyone have any experience in Alaska and might know what I'm in for?

I live in Phoenix currently.

Kotzebue is 513 northwest of Anchorage and 30 miles above the Arctic Circle and also one of the closest parts to Russia outside of their islands.

Any advice would be appreciated.

So I just accepted a contract job in Kotzebue Alaska to reform one of their schools there.

Kotzebue is 513 northwest of Anchorage and 30 miles above the Arctic Circle and also one of the closest parts to Russia outside of their islands.

Handjob is so totally full of shit, each and every day.

BYE!!!

"Reform one of their schools." What exactly does that mean, Tink?

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Last edited:
"Reform one of their schools." What exactly does that mean, Tink?

I work for a company under contract where we are hired to fix failing organizations.

Anything from a school system to an NFL organization, human resource offices, supply chains, anything that isn't being efficient.

The school I'm going to is not meeting state requirements for test scores so they hired us to go up there and fix it.

I was assigned the contract.

I will go up there, study the situation and find where the problem is then make the appropriate changes which usually means rewriting policy, firing everyone and hiring all new people.

I will say this about Alaska--only having been there on cruises--

Be ready for sticker shock at the price of everything. If something here costs $1, it'll cost $2 - 3 in Alaska. In a lot of places, there's also a "native" (eg., resident of Alaska) and "tourist" rate for stuff, so be aware of that. That is, if you aren't a local they're going to charge you more for whatever.

So, buy what you need and can take with you in before you go or you'll be paying through the nose for it there.

I work for a company under contract where we are hired to fix failing organizations.

Anything from a school system to an NFL organization, human resource offices, supply chains, anything that isn't being efficient.

The school I'm going to is not meeting state requirements for test scores so they hired us to go up there and fix it.

I will go up there, study the situation and find where the problem is then make the appropriate changes which usually means rewriting policy, firing everyone and hiring all new people.

yea only a few hundred students in 2 schools one elementary and one middle

There were 889 households, out of which 50.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.1% were married couples living together, 17.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.1% were non-families. 19.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 2.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.40 and the average family size was 3.93.

In the city, the age distribution of the population shows 39.8% under the age of 18

yea only a few hundred students in 2 schools one elementary and one middle

There were 889 households, out of which 50.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.1% were married couples living together, 17.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.1% were non-families. 19.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 2.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.40 and the average family size was 3.93.

In the city, the age distribution of the population shows 39.8% under the age of 18

Yes I know all the statistics, that information has already been provided to me by the office.

I won't know my actual strategy until I get up there and see where the actual problem lies. I have no authority to change state curriculum, although I can petition for that if I need to, but usually administrative reform helps the situation when you are dealing with schools.

Also, dealing with unions is a pain in the ass since I can't outright fire poor performers.

Our contract calls for us raising test scores by 5% within the first year of changes, 10% the second year and 15% by the end of the third year.

I have never not been able to accomplish the contract goals.

Well that is pretty shocking given all of your -1's around here.

Buy good warm, waterproof winter gear. Clothes to layer. Invest in a good hat and gloves. Boots, too.

It will be a once in a lifetime adventure.

Buy good warm, waterproof winter gear. Clothes to layer. Invest in a good hat and gloves. Boots, too.

It will be a once in a lifetime adventure.

I'm looking forward to it, I doubt I will have time to actually do any exploring but maybe after the job is done I can.

I can already tell you the problem. Drunk Eskimo Indian parents. You cant fix the problem,...nobody can. Its generational. Im not kidding either. I just gave you the short, no frills no bullshit assessment.

I can already tell you the problem. Drunk Eskimo Indian parents. You cant fix the problem,...nobody can. Its generational. Im not kidding either. I just gave you the short, no frills no bullshit assessment.

There is always a way to fix any problem.

This is why I get paid extremely well.

Their test scores will raise one way or another.

Back