Alaska

Oh, you might want to invest in a rifle just in case you need to defend yourself from a polar bear depending on the location of this town...

I am having a hard time picturing the people of Alaska taking kindly to a know it all from the lower 48 with no credential telling them why they suck at their jobs.

So I just accepted a contract job in Kotzebue Alaska to reform one of their schools there.

I hear it get's cold up there.

It will probably be about 9-12 months worth of work.

Does anyone have any experience in Alaska and might know what I'm in for?

I live in Phoenix currently.

Kotzebue is 513 northwest of Anchorage and 30 miles above the Arctic Circle and also one of the closest parts to Russia outside of their islands.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hope you get paid well.
I almost accepted a part time gig there.
Had all my paperwork done, I was credentialed and ready to go. Then they lost it all.
Fortunately I had made copies of all the paperwork and resubmitted it.
Then the HR lady wanted all my records of all the patients I had seen over the last three years. Of course I didn’t have that having sold my practice but it would have been an obvious HIPAA violation to share that information with anyone.
They seemed extremely disorganized.
I told them to forget it. I wasn’t desperate enough to fuck around with them.
It’s a AK Native village so you can expect a lot of dysfunction.
If you have to depend on natives for anything, good luck.
If they show up for work three days in a work week, that’s a good week for them.
Expect to be hated. They hate white people.

Hope you get paid well.
I almost accepted a part time gig there.
Had all my paperwork done, I was credentialed and ready to go. Then they lost it all.
Fortunately I had made copies of all the paperwork and resubmitted it.
Then the HR lady wanted all my records of all the patients I had seen over the last three years. Of course I didn’t have that having sold my practice but it would have been an obvious HIPAA violation to share that information with anyone.
They seemed extremely disorganized.
I told them to forget it. I wasn’t desperate enough to fuck around with them.
It’s a AK Native village so you can expect a lot of dysfunction.
If you have to depend on natives for anything, good luck.
If they show up for work three days in a work week, that’s a good week for them.
Expect to be hated. They hate white people.

Well they are going to hate me anyway, my job isn't one that makes friends.

I'm used to it.

So I just accepted a contract job in Kotzebue Alaska to reform one of their schools there.

I hear it get's cold up there.

It will probably be about 9-12 months worth of work.

Does anyone have any experience in Alaska and might know what I'm in for?

I live in Phoenix currently.

Kotzebue is 513 northwest of Anchorage and 30 miles above the Arctic Circle and also one of the closest parts to Russia outside of their islands.

Any advice would be appreciated.

You'll need to deal with the lack of light if you're there during the winter. There are supplements that can help you and artificial light sources may help.

Well since I am probably going to be firing most of them I expect it.

That's what rental cars are for.

It's the death threats that they leave that are annoying.
I suspect you’ll have a trailer house or double wide for housing. Don’t be surprised if there’s a couple of natives already squatting there when you first arrive.

I will go up there, study the situation and find where the problem is then make the appropriate changes which usually means rewriting policy, firing everyone and hiring all new people.

I can tell you where and what the problem is.
The new people will be no different than the old people.

Back