Amazon Tavern

That's true but so far so good. They need a running start to get over it; the way the house/forest/hill is situated, they don't have much of a place to do that. But yeah, it is a constant thought in my mind!

Your garden isn't that large so the odds are a deer will never jump in. But flying moochers is another thing lol.

Added: Just be glad you don't have a watermelon patch. Then you would have to worry about brats like me as a kid stealing your best ones. LOL

Your garden isn't that large so the odds are a deer will never jump in. But flying moochers is another thing lol.

Added: Just be glad you don't have a watermelon patch. Then you would have to worry about brats like me as a kid stealing your best ones. LOL

Hahahaha!!!! Yeah, I can just see you and your buddies hiding behind the garage slurping out Mrs. McNally's nicest watermelon.

No, the eagles were there at different times. I imagine that they would get into a fight if they showed up at the same time!

I never saw an eagle, hawk, Canada goose, or owl either as a kid. They've sure made a great comeback.

I have seen some interaction on youtube-neither fears the other & will bully/steal as if one of their own..

They are about the same size but the talon on the golden is bigger
hwsyfbvkmdah1pmv3os8.jpg

I have seen some interaction on youtube-neither fears the other & will bully/steal as if one of their own..

They are about the same size but the talon on the golden is bigger
hwsyfbvkmdah1pmv3os8.jpg

Wow, that's an impressive graphic! The real power in their talons comes from the strength of their grip. I have a custom raptor-handling glove Mr. Owl got for me some years ago when I volunteered for a raptor rehab center in STL. It is three thick layers of leather. Even so, when moving one of the exhibit birds, a red-tailed hawk, she would bruise my hand through all that leather with her grip. And once they clamp down, they have a very difficult time relaxing enough to let go. Some indigenous tribes would capture eagles in this way, by putting out bait, then seizing the bird when it had gripped the prey to feed. They sometimes kept them as captives for their feathers.

There aren't too many bunnies around here either; too many predators I guess. That being said, up in Big Bay (tiny town north of here) someone let their pet rabbits go free one year, and now they are all over town! Black ones, brown ones, white, multi-patterned. They're so cute. There is a restaurant right across from the school; both of them feed the bunnies leftover lettuce and veggies. The restaurant puts food bowls out by the entrance in the winter for them. Diners can stop and pet the bunnies. :~)

We have 100's of rabbits in our trailer park,it's surrounded by woods.
A guy at the front of the park puts ground corn out every morning.On our way to the pool,there will be a mixed crowd of birds and rabbits eating breakfast.

There aren't too many bunnies around here either; too many predators I guess. That being said, up in Big Bay (tiny town north of here) someone let their pet rabbits go free one year, and now they are all over town! Black ones, brown ones, white, multi-patterned. They're so cute. There is a restaurant right across from the school; both of them feed the bunnies leftover lettuce and veggies. The restaurant puts food bowls out by the entrance in the winter for them. Diners can stop and pet the bunnies. :~)

We have 100's of rabbits in our trailer park,it's surrounded by woods.
A guy at the front of the park puts ground corn out every morning.On our way to the pool,there will be a mixed crowd of birds and rabbits eating breakfast.

We don't have any feral cats,we do see a coyote now and then.Plus rabbits multiple fast!

Oh yeah, the jokes about bunnies reproducing isn't fake news. lol

My best friend in nursing school came to class one morning in raptures because she saw a bunny in her backyard. And two robins. She comes from Kiev where apparently the only wildlife is pigeons and rats. Once she planted a garden she wasn't so excited about the rabbits any more. lol

Wow, that's an impressive graphic! The real power in their talons comes from the strength of their grip. I have a custom raptor-handling glove Mr. Owl got for me some years ago when I volunteered for a raptor rehab center in STL. It is three thick layers of leather. Even so, when moving one of the exhibit birds, a red-tailed hawk, she would bruise my hand through all that leather with her grip. And once they clamp down, they have a very difficult time relaxing enough to let go. Some indigenous tribes would capture eagles in this way, by putting out bait, then seizing the bird when it had gripped the prey to feed. They sometimes kept them as captives for their feathers.

Wow, didn't know red tails have such powerful talons.. There is a nesting couple a mile away set up on a high wire tower. One time one landed right above us on a street light but since then I haven't been able to get a decent shot(photo) of them...

If you see the talon on the Golden Eagle it is very powerful & impressive, even compared to the bald eagle.

Oh yeah, the jokes about bunnies reproducing isn't fake news. lol

My best friend in nursing school came to class one morning in raptures because she saw a bunny in her backyard. And two robins. She comes from Kiev where apparently the only wildlife is pigeons and rats. Once she planted a garden she wasn't so excited about the rabbits any more. lol

:rofl2:

We had them for pets. They were suppose to be the kids, but you know who did all the work...lol We had a big back yard & they had their house under the deck.. It was a slight slop & they dug under the deck & into the retaining wall.. We had many over the years, almost exclusively females..

One time the fence fell & they realized, oh there is something over there.. They liked to go lay out on their tile next to the pool..

I had a three foot fence around the garden & each morning I would watch them patrol around it, trying to pull it up w/ their nose.. If I saw them get it lose I would go over after they gave up & fix it....

Wow, didn't know red tails have such powerful talons.. There is a nesting couple a mile away set up on a high wire tower. One time one landed right above us on a street light but since then I haven't been able to get a decent shot(photo) of them...

If you see the talon on the Golden Eagle it is very powerful & impressive, even compared to the bald eagle.

We had a golden eagle named Mariah there who was 41 or 42 when I was there. Her grip was pretty powerful too, as were the bald eagles'! Here's a bit about Mariah. I think she did pass away since this bit was written.

http://world-bird-sanctuary.blogspot.com/2012/08/mariah-golden-one-and-i-dont-mean-singer.html

:rofl2:

We had them for pets. They were suppose to be the kids, but you know who did all the work...lol We had a big back yard & they had their house under the deck.. It was a slight slop & they dug under the deck & into the retaining wall.. We had many over the years, almost exclusively females..

One time the fence fell & they realized, oh there is something over there.. They liked to go lay out on their tile next to the pool..

I had a three foot fence around the garden & each morning I would watch them patrol around it, trying to pull it up w/ their nose.. If I saw them get it lose I would go over after they gave up & fix it....

They're really super sweet and so cuddly too. Were yours handled a lot and pretty tame?

They're really super sweet and so cuddly too. Were yours handled a lot and pretty tame?

Not so cuddly, kinda semi-wild as they lived outside & if they didn't wanna be touched they went under the big deck... (kids can be overwhelming)..

They would bring friends over & they would eat out of their hands etc...

We would keep them in the house (they house train easy, like cats) for a month or two then introduce them to the backyard...

We lived on a lake w/ no way out for them, so I took them over to it first so they knew where it was.. Then they naturally went under the deck where some of the earlier bunnies had built a mansion..lol

They were all different & didn't all like the same foods (some didn't care of carrots, others not the tops)..

They were a bit chubby as they ate bird seeds that feel from the feeder., but rabbit pellets, the grass & every clover that would pop up...

Never had a prob w/ cats & they kicked the crap out of a few of them..

Not so cuddly, kinda semi-wild as they lived outside & if they didn't wanna be touched they went under the big deck... (kids can be overwhelming)..

They would bring friends over & they would eat out of their hands etc...

We would keep them in the house (they house train easy, like cats) for a month or two then introduce them to the backyard...

We lived on a lake w/ no way out for them, so I took them over to it first so they knew where it was.. Then they naturally went under the deck where some of the earlier bunnies had built a mansion..lol

They were all different & didn't all like the same foods (some didn't care of carrots, others not the tops)..

They were a bit chubby as they ate bird seeds that feel from the feeder., but rabbit pellets, the grass & every clover that would pop up...

Never had a prob w/ cats & they kicked the crap out of a few of them..

How cool that must have been. No problems from raccoons or other predators?

How cool that must have been. No problems from raccoons or other predators?

Nope.. Had some raccoons, possum & occasional skunk & np......

I had a coopers hawk nesting in the backyard in the big oak tree & one day I cam home & saw it on a low branch in another tree, six feet above one sitting in the shade..

I saw a small bird in it's claw & realized the bunnies weighed a lot more than her/him...

Nope.. Had some raccoons, possum & occasional skunk & np......

I had a coopers hawk nesting in the backyard in the big oak tree & one day I cam home & saw it on a low branch in another tree, six feet above one sitting in the shade..

I saw a small bird in it's claw & realized the bunnies weighed a lot more than her/him...

Yeah, first rule of predation: Don't bite off something bigger than you can chew. lol

Yeah, first rule of predation: Don't bite off something bigger than you can chew. lol

Yep, & those poor coopers hawk don't get no respect.. I had one a few weeks ago getting mocked my a squirrel next to him a few feet away on the fence..

He was good sized but not an adult...

Yep, & those poor coopers hawk don't get no respect.. I had one a few weeks ago getting mocked my a squirrel next to him a few feet away on the fence..
He was good sized but not an adult...

They like to stake out backyard bird feeders. It's kind of like a buffet or something.

If you enjoy observing animal/bird behavior, you might enjoy this book. It was one of a dozen in a course I took last year.

https://www.amazon.com/What-Robin-K...e+robin+knows&qid=1564106038&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Back