America Isn’t the Greatest Country on Earth — And That’s Just Fine

I realize that, Brother Legion. But many are finally coming around to the fact that it is neither wise nor realistic to live under that illusion.
The USA isn't always numero uno, and we can get into a lot of trouble thinking that we always are.

You and Legion could very easily be brothers since neither of you know who your baby daddy is.

Please explain to me in objective rational terms why the U.S. is greater than say Japan, Brazil, Germany, France, or any of the other industrialized nation? They all have virtually everything we have. Wealth, modern technology, modern infrastructure, political liberty, freedom, culture, education. How are we better on any rational, objective basis?

I can think of no other country where I'd rather live. For me, America is the greatest nation. I realize saying that is subjective and is just my opinion. But it is "for me"... More than that, the part of the US that I live in is the greatest...once again, "for me." I love the low cost of living leading to the fact that I don't have to earn a mint to lead a pretty decent life style. I love the fact that I am surrounded by people who share similar values. The article looked to me to be written by a person who would model our society after that of European countries. Y'all know where I stand when it comes to that.

Mott has asked the above about other countries ... and the answer is obvious "for me." I can't use "objective" or "rational terms" to explain why because it is all from my perspective and what is important for me. Quite simply in those countries you can't pursue my hobbies...any of them...either not at all or unless you are wealthy. My life would be profoundly different if I lived in Japan...and not in a positive way. My freedoms very much more limited if I lived in Germany or France. This I know from experience. So in this repspect, I would easily rank the US over these other countries...for me.

None. Please explain to me in objective rational terms why the U.S. is greater than say Japan, Brazil, Germany, France, or any of the other industrialized nation? They all have virtually everything we have. Wealth, modern technology, modern infrastructure, political liberty, freedom, culture, education. How are we better on any rational, objective basis?

Part of the foundational basis of America was that it is better to move to/live in than anywhere else. Why aren't Americans flocking to a greater country, now that some exist?

Part of the foundational basis of America was that it is better to move to/live in than anywhere else.

I thought you were a history major.

Some Europeans came here to get rich because of limited prospects at home. Economic refugees, like the ones Trump wants to deport.

The point you're missing is that many of the early immigrants to what is now America were either expelled from Europe as debtors, criminals, and heretics, or were brought here in chains.... as slaves.

Isn't it silly for people who've never lived anywhere else to declare the country they've always infested the "greatest"?

What's their frame of reference?

Why aren't Americans flocking to a greater country, now that some exist?

Some are. They're called "expatriates".

Back