And were off!

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
OSU looked great
But so did Miami
Florida won but just barely against one of the weakest teams in the MAC.
Penn State surprised everyone by starting a true Freshman at QB and came up smelling like roses.
Ole Miss laid an egg
Alabama certainly missed Ingraham as Richardson did not impress. Though that didn't matter. They found someone else to get the job done.
Notre Dame beat Purdue and managed not to impress anyone at the same time.
Michigan appears to be back. They looked scary good on offense but weren't that impressive on defense.
LSWho sucked. They should have stomped UNC who literally had their starting line up on the bench.
John Clay is a stud. Wisconsin romped out west.

Richardsomn didn't impress? He did exactly what we asked him to do. He gained 66 yards, scored 2 touchdowns and only played in the first half.

We played everyone but Sagan's grandmother.

Not sure Penn State same up smelling like roses. Thei stud RB could do much against a hugely inferior team. If he can't run against YSU, when is gonna happen in T-town?

The Ole Miss game was funny. I disagree with the NCAA letting Masoli play. Turns out, its not a big deal. lol

Now where is Topper? I want to hear all about his LSU Tigers!

Alabama certainly missed Ingraham as Richardson did not impress. Though that didn't matter. They found someone else to get the job done.

Yes, Richardson didn't have a 100+ yd. game, but it had nothing to do with his performance. He had a 6.6 yd. average, with 2 TD's, which most would consider "impressive" by any standard. He did share playing time with everyone short of the cheerleading squad, and our THIRD stringer actually had more impressive rushing stats, but this probably had more to do with when he was playing in the game, after it was pretty much over. Trent Richardson DID have the highest combined receiving and rushing yardage, as well as highest kick return yardage, and is still our #2 behind Ingram. What it tells me is, Alabama has arguably the best stable of runningbacks in college football. Perhaps one of the best of all-time.

But the problems are just beginning for our competition, there is the Julio Factor. Did you happen to see the ESPN play of the week contender, in that one-handed catch for a TD? There are PRO receivers who DREAM of being able to do something like that someday! lol McElroy was near perfect, and the backup was just as impressive. Bama had nearly 600 yards of total offense, with very few mistakes. They certainly looked sharper and crisper than anything else I saw playing over the weekend. Of course, they WERE playing San Jose St., but that's a tougher opponent than many others struggled with.

Yes, Richardson didn't have a 100+ yd. game, but it had nothing to do with his performance. He had a 6.6 yd. average, with 2 TD's, which most would consider "impressive" by any standard. He did share playing time with everyone short of the cheerleading squad, and our THIRD stringer actually had more impressive rushing stats, but this probably had more to do with when he was playing in the game, after it was pretty much over. Trent Richardson DID have the highest combined receiving and rushing yardage, as well as highest kick return yardage, and is still our #2 behind Ingram. What it tells me is, Alabama has arguably the best stable of runningbacks in college football. Perhaps one of the best of all-time.

But the problems are just beginning for our competition, there is the Julio Factor. Did you happen to see the ESPN play of the week contender, in that one-handed catch for a TD? There are PRO receivers who DREAM of being able to do something like that someday! lol McElroy was near perfect, and the backup was just as impressive. Bama had nearly 600 yards of total offense, with very few mistakes. They certainly looked sharper and crisper than anything else I saw playing over the weekend. Of course, they WERE playing San Jose St., but that's a tougher opponent than many others struggled with.

He did ahright Dix but come on....you were playing San Jose State. I think Eddy Lacy was more impressive than Richardson, which is what I really meant by my comment.

McElroy seems to have picked up his game. Not that he hasn't performed in the past but I don't think last year anyone would have said he could carry the offense. This year, I think he just might be able to.

Last edited:
He did ahright Dix but come on....you were playing San Jose State. I think Eddy Lacy was more impressive than Richardson, which is what I really meant by my comment.

McElroy seems to have picked up his game. Not that he hasn't performed in the past but I don't think last year anyone would have said he could carry the offense. This year, I think he just might be able to.

Well Mott, I said that they WERE playing San Jose State! Which begs the question, how can you make any sort of legitimate evaluation on 'impressiveness' about anyone playing for Alabama in such a wop-sided game? You could wait until we play Penn State next week, to give us your obviously biased and slanted opinion of how our team didn't impress you. Popping off with that kind of mindless stupidity after SJSU is pretty revealing of how useless your opinions are on college football.

As for McElroy... dude hasn't lost a game as a starter, since like 1993 or something... and then, he had a dirty diaper, I think. He struggled a little with confidence in the middle of the season last year, but I'm sure that didn't have a thing to do with Julio completely forgetting that he knew how to catch a football. With his last three outings last year, Auburn, Florida, and Texas, he had a phenomenal game with very few mistakes. It looks like he has come into his own, and ready to take his place in Alabama's rich QB history book.

But now, in fairness, I want to talk about OSU, and all the pre-season hype they might be in contention to play for the NC this year. I happen to agree with that assessment, not because I think OSU is anything great and wonderful, but just looking at their schedule. If you don't get to the Big Show, it could only be because the BCS judges are unable to stop laughing when it comes to strength of schedule, and they look at yours. The computer may lock up on OSU, because you can't calculate a negative value for SoS. Still, if you go undefeated, and no one else does, they'll have to send you to the championship game, because your are THE Ohio State, and you'll probably draw more fans than Boise State. Aside from Penn State, Michigan, and Miami... who do you play that isn't a total cream puff?

Anyway, I am not going to fault you much for that, it's not the fans fault your coaches are wusses and your conference sucks, you have the schedule the football gods gave you, and so be it. I actually think it plays to the favor of a team like Alabama, to play tough competition and face tough challenges through the year. Those things build character and strength, and inspire confidence. Beating cream puffs 57-0 all year, inspires cockiness and a false sense of security.

Julio did look great, didn't he? The boy is finally 100% healthy, and that has to have a lot of defensive coordinators nervous. Its gotta have some linebackers nervous too. Julio is not afraid of the midddle, and will give as good as he gets.

Maze looked great too. That man can fly.

What yesterday really told me was that Pen State is in trouble.

Their defense couldn't stop YSU, allowing 14 points? What will it allow against McElroy & Co next week?

And PSU's line couldn't open holes for Royster against Youngstown's defense. Just wait until they try it against our!

RTR!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vv_lEJlsO8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Julio Jones - One Handed TD Catch - 2010 vs. SJSU[/ame]

They only reviewed it because no one could believe it was possible to actually do this.

What yesterday really told me was that Pen State is in trouble.

Their defense couldn't stop YSU, allowing 14 points? What will it allow against McElroy & Co next week?

And PSU's line couldn't open holes for Royster against Youngstown's defense. Just wait until they try it against our!

RTR!!!
I pretty much have to agree. I'd have to give the advantage to Bama. PSU lost a lot of starters on defense, their running attack looked anemic and they have a true freshman at QB.....still....it's PSU....the beast from the east. You can't just dismiss them.

Well Mott, I said that they WERE playing San Jose State! Which begs the question, how can you make any sort of legitimate evaluation on 'impressiveness' about anyone playing for Alabama in such a wop-sided game? You could wait until we play Penn State next week, to give us your obviously biased and slanted opinion of how our team didn't impress you. Popping off with that kind of mindless stupidity after SJSU is pretty revealing of how useless your opinions are on college football.

As for McElroy... dude hasn't lost a game as a starter, since like 1993 or something... and then, he had a dirty diaper, I think. He struggled a little with confidence in the middle of the season last year, but I'm sure that didn't have a thing to do with Julio completely forgetting that he knew how to catch a football. With his last three outings last year, Auburn, Florida, and Texas, he had a phenomenal game with very few mistakes. It looks like he has come into his own, and ready to take his place in Alabama's rich QB history book.

But now, in fairness, I want to talk about OSU, and all the pre-season hype they might be in contention to play for the NC this year. I happen to agree with that assessment, not because I think OSU is anything great and wonderful, but just looking at their schedule. If you don't get to the Big Show, it could only be because the BCS judges are unable to stop laughing when it comes to strength of schedule, and they look at yours. The computer may lock up on OSU, because you can't calculate a negative value for SoS. Still, if you go undefeated, and no one else does, they'll have to send you to the championship game, because your are THE Ohio State, and you'll probably draw more fans than Boise State. Aside from Penn State, Michigan, and Miami... who do you play that isn't a total cream puff?

Anyway, I am not going to fault you much for that, it's not the fans fault your coaches are wusses and your conference sucks, you have the schedule the football gods gave you, and so be it. I actually think it plays to the favor of a team like Alabama, to play tough competition and face tough challenges through the year. Those things build character and strength, and inspire confidence. Beating cream puffs 57-0 all year, inspires cockiness and a false sense of security.

I wouldn't brag Dixie. The only team in the SEC that looks good is Bama. Florida was a joke against national power house Miami of Ohio. Their offense was pathetic. LSWho almost lost to UNC who was literally with out their entire starting line up and Ole Miss lost to Jackson State? Yea right. Were impressed. This year the SEC will take a back seat to the Big 10 as the nations toughest conference. Michigan is back. OSU looks ready for a national title shot and will make a run for a record 6th straight Big 10 title. Wisconsin has the best offensive line in college with probably the best back in college ball. Iowa returned almost all of their starters and have yet to lose to an SEC team under Ferentz and will certainly be in the mix for the conference championship.

What has the SEC got besides Bama? FSU has no offense, LSWho played like mid major against a hapless UNC team. Ole Miss certainly aint got it. Georgia? I don't think so. Tennessee? Don't make me laugh. Arkansas? Good offense but no defense. Auborn.....maybe. And with the SEC's reputation for playing powder puff non-conf games (I'll give Bama it's due with the PSU game), you aint got no room to talk about SOS this year. We all ready have more top 20 teams in the Big 10 then the SEC does so that shoots your SOS comment down right there.

As for OSU. The Big 10 is way tough this year so the old rule applies. I've listed some good teams there and one thing I'm sure of. Some other team like NorthWestern or MSU will rear their ugly head too. So a bid to the mythical national championship game would be nice but I'm betting on winning the conference and beating a much improved Michigan. That will make my year.

But let's save the shit talking for after next Saturday when we both have a better idea how good our teams really are. I'd say OSU has the tougher test next Saturday but your game won't be the typical powder puff non-conf game Bama is used to, so we will see how good you really are if you smoke PSU.

Last edited:
I pretty much have to agree. I'd have to give the advantage to Bama. PSU lost a lot of starters on defense, their running attack looked anemic and they have a true freshman at QB.....still....it's PSU....the beast from the east. You can't just dismiss them.

I'm not dismissing them at all. But I am saying that, based on what I saw from them saturday, Bama will certainly win.

When the opening game is against a creampuff team, you have to take what you see with a grain of salt. However, when there are glaring problems, you know it will show much more against a top opponent.

McElroy was on the money with every pass he threw. I saw only one incomplete pass that was his fault, the other was Julio dropping one that hit him in the number.

Trent Richardson was giving piggyback rides to the secondary. Julio is back to his top form. The D Line is agressive and potent. And teh pass defense looked sharp.

I wouldn't brag Dixie. The only team in the SEC that looks good is Bama. Florida was a joke against national power house Miami of Ohio. Their offense was pathetic. LSWho almost lost to UNC who was literally with out their entire starting line up and Ole Miss lost to Jackson State? Yea right. Were impressed. This year the SEC will take a back seat to the Big 10 as the nations toughest conference. Michigan is back. OSU looks ready for a national title shot and will make a run for a record 6th straight Big 10 title. Wisconsin has the best offensive line in college with probably the best back in college ball. Iowa returned almost all of their starters and have yet to lose to an SEC team under Ferentz and will certainly be in the mix for the conference championship.

What has the SEC got besides Bama? FSU has no offense, LSWho played like mid major against a hapless UNC team. Ole Miss certainly aint got it. Georgia? I don't think so. Tennessee? Don't make me laugh. Arkansas? Good offense but no defense. Auborn.....maybe. And with the SEC's reputation for playing powder puff non-conf games (I'll give Bama it's due with the PSU game), you aint got no room to talk about SOS this year. We all ready have more top 20 teams in the Big 10 then the SEC does so that shoots your SOS comment down right there.

As for OSU. The Big 10 is way tough this year so the old rule applies. I've listed some good teams there and one thing I'm sure of. Some other team like NorthWestern or MSU will rear their ugly head too. So a bid to the mythical national championship game would be nice but I'm betting on winning the conference and beating a much improved Michigan. That will make my year.

But let's save the shit talking for after next Saturday when we both have a better idea how good our teams really are. I'd say OSU has the tougher test next Saturday but your game won't be the typical powder puff non-conf game Bama is used to, so we will see how good you really are if you smoke PSU.

Again, you are 'evaluating' the SEC based on one game so far. Then you are evaluating the Big 10 based on speculation of how 'good' the teams will be this year, it's like you have two standards working here!

Ohio? Eastern Michigan? Illinois? Indiana? Purdue? Wisconsin? These are the kind of teams we schedule when we need a break from the grueling SEC schedule. Homecoming opponents! You say there are more Big 10 teams in the Top 20, but that must be because they felt sorry for ya, knowing none of them would be in the Top 20 at the END of the year! Yep, this would be the one week of the year, most Big 10 teams don't have a losing record.

Really though, Mott... I am pulling for the Buckeyes to do it! I would LOVE for Alabama to mop up the stadium with OSU to win their 14th national championship, I can't think of anyone I'd rather beat more.

We all ready have more top 20 teams in the Big 10 then the SEC does so that shoots your SOS comment down right there.

Mott, as I recall, when Topper and I made this claim at the beginning of last season, you dismissed it as irrelevant. Funny how it becomes relevant when its your conference.

Mott, as I recall, when Topper and I made this claim at the beginning of last season, you dismissed it as irrelevant. Funny how it becomes relevant when its your conference.

Hell, he does that in one paragraph! The Big 10 has to be evaluated by where they start the season ranked (Top 20) and how good their defenses are supposed to be, how many returning starters, etc., but the SEC is judged for the whole season, by how unimpressive their opening-day blowouts were!

Ok, VT couldn't get the job doen against Boise. I only watched the first half, but Boise looks like the real deal. Their QB is a gunner and their D is smothering. Bama could still take them. I guess Bama has to be perfect to see them in the BCS Championship.

Penn state will be smelling a ass kicking this weekend.
UNC was ranked higher than LSU, and while we should have stomped them the whole game, I came away more impressed with LSU's explosive offense & best in Nation return game.

Ok, VT couldn't get the job doen against Boise. I only watched the first half, but Boise looks like the real deal. Their QB is a gunner and their D is smothering. Bama could still take them. I guess Bama has to be perfect to see them in the BCS Championship.
You should of watched the second half. Boise didn't impress. They self imploded. It was a fun game to watch but Boise beat a mid level ACC team who probably will not be in the top 25 at the end of the season. Their eratic second half play answered no questions about Boise, if they had dominated VaTech some questions may have been answered but that's not how it turned out.

Fun game to watch though, you gotta love the heart Boise plays with.

Penn state will be smelling a ass kicking this weekend.
UNC was ranked higher than LSU, and while we should have stomped them the whole game, I came away more impressed with LSU's explosive offense & best in Nation return game.
Hey Topper, where you been cuz? I missed your "Ohio Slow and Ass raping" comments! LOL

Sorry dude, LSWho impressed no one by nearly losing to a UNC team who literally had it's entire starting line up declared ineligable to play. They should have won 42 to 7.

You should of watched the second half. Boise didn't impress. They self imploded. It was a fun game to watch but Boise beat a mid level ACC team who probably will not be in the top 25 at the end of the season. Their eratic second half play answered no questions about Boise, if they had dominated VaTech some questions may have been answered but that's not how it turned out.

Fun game to watch though, you gotta love the heart Boise plays with.

I was impressed with the agressive defense in the first half. Some big bruisers on their D line.

What bothers me is that these guys play a two game season, and will probably play for the NC. Bama beat VT (with more talent) last year in a much more convincing way, but we still hear all that "You got lucky last year" bullshit.

I would love to see Bama play Boise for the NC.

Back