Annoying Linguistic Infliction

AnyOldIron

Atheist Missionary
Posh upper class English folk tend to end every sentence with 'you know'...

Austrialian Rising Infliction - if it's a statement, don't make it sound like a question...

Double negatives - I ain't got no.....

What bugs you?

I have a large list.

Ending sentences with "you get me" or "innit".

Saying "i axed him for it" rather than "asked"

People who pronounce the letter 'H' wrongly. Look it up in the bloody dictionary and it's there under "aitch", so say it like that.

Arseholes who do that stupid thing with their fingers to show they're quoting someone.

Middle-class white kids adopting some feckless Jamaican patois, despite attending public school where the only black kids are the sons of foreign ambassadors or millionaires.

The American pastime of whooping.

There are more...

The American pastime of whooping.

This I put down to national mental illness....

They've already got the relevant gun laws in place and there can't be a shortage of walls to line up against so why the hell aren't they taking care of the problem?

Yes it is a mental illness with another side effect of electing Bush twice. Some just liked his "wide Stance" And swagger in his jeans I suppose...

British people who refuse to realize that there is an "H" in the English language.

All foul cockney motherfuckers.

Rednecks who express surprise using the word "Coo".

People with a sign that say "This is 'Merika! Spake 'ANGLISH" on their doorway, and repeat that to every Spanish or French speaking tourist who comes by. I always respond, "I find it heavily ironic that you refuse to use English to express such a sentiment", which makes them stare at me as if I'm a satanist.

Last edited:
People who use "like" inappropriately, excessively, in every sentence they utter.

In the written form, the use of an apostrophe to denote a plural, and the use of apostrophes to denote the possessive form in pronouns.

What about regional accents in the U.S.?

For example I cannot stand the Boston accent where they do not or cannot say the letter 'r'. Or they will add r's into words where they do not exist.

What about regional accents in the U.S.?

For example I cannot stand the Boston accent where they do not or cannot say the letter 'r'. Or they will add r's into words where they do not exist.

Tenn and Arkansas have the two most intolerable, and actually painful, accents in this country.

Posh upper class English folk tend to end every sentence with 'you know'...

Austrialian Rising Infliction - if it's a statement, don't make it sound like a question...

Double negatives - I ain't got no.....

What bugs you?

The rising tone at the end of a sentence here (Australia) is strangely enough mainly among women. I've heard it explained as a form of plea, of the speaker seeking agreement. It's bloody annoying.

The rising tone at the end of a sentence here (Australia) is strangely enough mainly among women. I've heard it explained as a form of plea, of the speaker seeking agreement. It's bloody annoying.
I call that the whining syndrome here. It really is annoying. It doesn't just happen in Australia.

I call that the whining syndrome here. It really is annoying. It doesn't just happen in Australia.

Interesting, I have to admit I've never heard it in the US but then my ear probably isn't tuned in. In our eastern states it's accompanied by a very nasal accent.

Interesting, I have to admit I've never heard it in the US but then my ear probably isn't tuned in. In our eastern states it's accompanied by a very nasal accent.
It isn't quite as prevalent. But when it is there, it is almost always there for that particular person. Usually a woman.

It's like they are always pleading with you imploring you desperately to take them seriously. It works against what it appears to be saying.

Back