Another Blow Against the Nanny-State

OrnotBitwise

Watermelon
Good for New Hampshire.
Abortion parental-notice law repealed

CONCORD, New Hampshire (AP) -- Gov. John Lynch signed legislation Friday that made New Hampshire the first state to repeal a law requiring that a parent be notified before a minor receives an abortion.

The 2003 law never took effect because of a court challenge, and the repeal took effect immediately.

"I strongly believe parents should be involved in these decisions, providing important support and guidance. Unfortunately that is not possible in every case," Lynch said.

Lynch cited the law's lack of a provision regarding the pregnant minor's health, agreeing with the judge who ruled the law unconstitutional in 2003.

New Hampshire is the first state to repeal a parental notice law, said Dawn Touzin of Planned Parenthood of Northern New England. Washington state removed a parental consent law in 1991.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/29/abortion.repeal.ap/index.html

Last edited:
I totally disagree with your opinion. Parents should be involved.

I agree. Generally, parents should be involved.

I disagree that government should mandate it.

There certainly are cases involving incest, rape, and child abuse, where it may not be in the teenage girl's interest to involve the parents.

It's not the government's job to enforce parental rules -- especially not any one person's version of them.

If Edna and Bubba have so alienated their daughter that she's terrified to tell them she's pregnant and needs an abortion then they're crappy parents and the government shouldn't step in to support their crappy, abusive parenting.

Parental notification is a family issue, not a legal issue.

There certainly are cases involving incest, rape, and child abuse, where it may not be in the teenage girl's interest to involve the parents.
That's really the point. One has to deal with the fact that there really are abusive parents out there. It's ugly and unpleasant but true.

That's really the point. One has to deal with the fact that there really are abusive parents out there. It's ugly and unpleasant but true.

Right.

C'mon, any teenager that has a half-way healthy relationship with their parents is going to talk to them about this. They're not going to be afraid that Daddy is going to go ballistic.

I suspect the only parents who's kids are afraid to talk to them are shit parents anyway: physically abusive, mentally dysfunctional, or maybe even incest by the father is involved.

Either you a normal parent, or you're a shit parent: Pregnant teenage girls are going to talk to normal parents. If your kid won't talk to you about something as serious as this, then you are a shit parent; something is seriously wrong with you or your parenting skills. And you don't need the government making "parental consent" laws, to make up for your shitty parenting skills.

It's not the government's job to enforce parental rules -- especially not any one person's version of them.

If Edna and Bubba have so alienated their daughter that she's terrified to tell them she's pregnant and needs an abortion then they're crappy parents and the government shouldn't step in to support their crappy, abusive parenting.

I do understand your position, but in such cases the case worker and perhaps the courts should be involved, not just the girl and her doctor.

damn. I didn't read that one post of yours ornot. I said basically the same thing in my last post, that you had already said. Great minds think alike!

sometimes the parent is the father of the fetus.

You see things from a perspective which is unfair to the child.

If abortion is legal than if you are old enough to get pregnant you should be old enough to get an abortion.

Some parents would FORCE a girl to carry to term.

It is in her body it is no ones choice but hers.

No. It's a legal issue when it's a medical procedure and the patient is a minor. For any other operation, they would NEED parental approval. Changing the rules specifically for abortion and specifically TO deceive parents is lunacy.

sometimes the parent is the father of the fetus.

You see things from a perspective which is unfair to the child.

If abortion is legal than if you are old enough to get pregnant you should be old enough to get an abortion.

Some parents would FORCE a girl to carry to term.

It is in her body it is no ones choice but hers.
If her father is the culprit. then indeed the courts should be involved. If the daughter is forced to go eother way by the parents, then again an arbitrator is called for.

No. It's a legal issue when it's a medical procedure and the patient is a minor. For any other operation, they would NEED parental approval. Changing the rules specifically for abortion and specifically TO deceive parents is lunacy.
I fully agree.

Hence you make it so they can make a case to a court who would be Pro-Tem Parentis...

I agree with a caveat. There are times that kids cannot tell their parents as they may have issues, there should be a workaround in such cases.

I agree with a caveat. There are times that kids cannot tell their parents as they may have issues, there should be a workaround in such cases.
I agree. on another forum I was chastized because I had listened to a young friend regarding sexual practices in his shower room in school. apparently I shpouldn't have listened to his woes or counciled hime --- because I was not family.

Right.

C'mon, any teenager that has a half-way healthy relationship with their parents is going to talk to them about this. They're not going to be afraid that Daddy is going to go ballistic.

I suspect the only parents who's kids are afraid to talk to them are shit parents anyway: physically abusive, mentally dysfunctional, or maybe even incest by the father is involved.

Either you a normal parent, or you're a shit parent: Pregnant teenage girls are going to talk to normal parents. If your kid won't talk to you about something as serious as this, then you are a shit parent; something is seriously wrong with you or your parenting skills. And you don't need the government making "parental consent" laws, to make up for your shitty parenting skills.

That's just plain bullshit Cypress....most girls WILL NOT tell their parents if they are young.

I didn't.... I was afraid to tell them I was pregnant........and my parents are wonderful, loving parents.... there was no fear of them hurting me, there was fear of them being disappointed with me....and as a teen, you don't think straight, that fear of disappointment over ruled me telling them, until 5 years later....until after I was married.

I don't think I was an exception to the rule at that young age...and I was 18 already but still living with them.

The only reason this was reversed is because they did not give an exception for the health of girl, I thought?

16 year olds will think even less "straight" than an 18 year old.

I have a problem that the government requires a permission slip to give your child aspirin, while a doctor performing an abortion on your child without notifying you is okay?

This is your child, your health insurance for your child will cover them if the abortion goes wrong or if you don't have insurance, your pocketbook will be responsible for your child's healthcare bills, you are still legally responsible for your child, it is your child.... IF YOUR CHILD IS UNDER 18, the parents should be notified....

The girl will need her parents MORE THAN EVER before, during and after this procedure....hiding it from them, just makes it harder to heal....and easy for one to just pack up the experience in to a small little package in her brain, only later to find the package is filled with dynomite, and ready to explode.

imho.

Care

Back