Any Dog Lovers On Here?

I am very much an extremist, by American standards, on some issues at least. That is to say I hold opinions that all but a small minority of Americans would characterize as "too extreme" or "way out there" or something. Especially on the economic and social libertarian dimensions. I am not, however, an inflexible ideologue. That's something else again.

My point was that, in the modern vernacular, we've conflated "extremist" with "ideologue." That's a bad mistake. It tends to make anyone with unusual or creative ideas suspect.
Oh I think I get you now. We have had years of progeramming that difference is wrong. Ie Tree huggers, liberals, econuts, etc....
those morons spreading that do not realize that our diversity is one factor that made this country great.

That's exactly why I advocate differentiating responsibilities based on roles and circumstances rather than species. A pig can be a pet or a pig can be a meat animal. Different rules apply in the two cases. Different rules *can* be applied, more correctly. I don't really know if they should or not. I'm arguing simply that there's nothing wrong with the precept.

How can such a thing be done though? Pet registration or something?

That's exactly why I advocate differentiating responsibilities based on roles and circumstances rather than species. A pig can be a pet or a pig can be a meat animal. Different rules apply in the two cases. Different rules *can* be applied, more correctly. I don't really know if they should or not. I'm arguing simply that there's nothing wrong with the precept.

How can such a thing be done though? Pet registration or something?

Naan no more beaucracy and control, we just need to be smart enough to work it out each for ourselves, but that it seems will never happen. so they try to squeeze us all in one big mold.

But do you let those views on a few things make you do stupid stuff like dressing up like a fish. Wimmen and booze are the only things that have seemed to cause me to do that kind of stupid stuff.
Perhaps I am confusing zealot and extremsit ? Not sure.
I think you are, yes.

Also, young people are going to do silly stuff when they get political. I certainly did. That's just the way the (human) beast is. I never dressed up as a fish myself but I certainly knew people who would have had the idea occurred to them.

Human beings are diverse. Any time you have a large, grass roots political movement, there will be nut jobs out on the fringes of it. Frequently the nut jobs are the cutting edge: the people who're taking the hits so the more moderate -- read: timid -- majority of the movement don't have to.

Who is an extremist depends on where you are too. I am viewed as a bit too civilized by those I grew up around, and not civilized enough by others in other areas.

Naan no more beaucracy and control, we just need to be smart enough to work it out each for ourselves, but that it seems will never happen. so they try to squeeze us all in one big mold.

Seriously this shouldn't be the government's business. It doesn't concern anyone else.

I think you are, yes.

Also, young people are going to do silly stuff when they get political. I certainly did. That's just the way the (human) beast is. I never dressed up as a fish myself but I certainly knew people who would have had the idea occurred to them.

Human beings are diverse. Any time you have a large, grass roots political movement, there will be nut jobs out on the fringes of it. Frequently the nut jobs are the cutting edge: the people who're taking the hits so the more moderate -- read: timid -- majority of the movement don't have to.

Ornot you are chatting with an exception here. I don't run with packs. I am pretty much a lone wolf and always have been since my earliest memories. I have good friends and all that , but groups do not activate me in any way. Like a pep rally in High school, I left with the same amount of zeal for the team to win as when I went in.

I call them "clapterfests"... You have them at work sometimes. They are called the "all hands meeting". You all sit around watching people get awards for doing their job adequately and clap at the right time, smiling and waiting for the dounuts afterward...

LOL, the doughnuts are ok. And I have no problem recognizing someones accompolishments. But I do nothing just because everyone else is doing it. well mostly :) I do wear clothes, etc ;) but they are my choice, not what some gay fashion desinger decides I should wear.

I know that Ornot. I suppose I should have clarified by saying most group activity. I don't dislike all group activity especially if it is fun. However the group nature of most things spoils it.

Seriously this shouldn't be the government's business. It doesn't concern anyone else.
That's only true if you believe there's a hard, well defined line between sentient beings and "lower" animals. I don't nor, I think, do most people anymore.

In other words, the "one else" is the animal, of course.

That's only true if you believe there's a hard, well defined line between sentient beings and "lower" animals. I don't nor, I think, do most people anymore.

In other words, the "one else" is the animal, of course.

You want to talk about being an extremist Ornot. I may have the most extreme views on bio ethics on this board or any other one I have visited even moreso than you do.

It is from this realization that I know I could never consistently apply any of my extreme views in regard to the law.

The truth is that the killing of any living organsim for any purpose other than to protect yourself is unethical. But I have yet to be able to live up to such a high standard. If I the extremist cannot even live up to my own extreme views how can I demand the same for others.

Therefore it is necessary that we be respective of the wide range of views in regard to this issue and not try to force any other human being to adopt your or my or anyone elses view.

Therefore it is necessary that we be respective of the wide range of views in regard to this issue and not try to force any other human being to adopt your or my or anyone elses view.
I can agree with the principle, but there may be specific exceptions to it. It's called "compromise" I believe. ;)

When public outrage at a technically legal act reaches a certain point then criminalization becomes inevitable. Now, where that magical point lies is always a really messy, highly contextual debate. Witness the debate on abortion as the most obvious current example. I would argue that there isn't a strong enough consensus to outlaw or even restrict early term abortions but there probably is for late term abortions.

Similarly, I don't think that there's a strong enough consensus to outlaw the use of non-human animals in biological and medical experimentation but I think that there is a strong enough consensus to demand humane treatment and criminalization of excessive cruelty.

Politics is group activity, by definition.
Politics on here is pretty much a singular thing not like going to a political convention or claiming to be a democrat and supporting alll democrats, etc

Most people have sports heroes or favorite Nascar drive they support. Not me.
Like when asked who is your favorite actor ? Me I have favorite movies not actors.

With people who enjoy cruelty to animals, well it will probably carry over to something besides animals. Cruel is cruel.

Back