Anyone here smoke cigars?

My first one was a '72 hard top and given to me by my Dad after 90K. We lived near Boston and he travelled to Maine often. It burned a little oil and was salt-rusted from the wheel wells on down. I did a valve job on it and pop riveted galvanized sheet metal on it, and filled in the gaps with gallon tubs of Bondo. I got good at tune ups (they were important back then) and could rebuild the 2 bbl carb in 5 minutes. I drove that through 7 years of college and finally sold it with 185K on it. It needed a lot of repairs during that time but nothing that I couldn't do by myself and never without warning. In other words stuff didn't break- it just wore out.

Here's my current ride:

2008_ford_expedition_20123049-396x2.jpg

Leaded fuel was hard on valves back then, and they wore out faster than they do now. After I made the repairs the car never burned or leaked oil. In fact when I moved to Connecticut back in the early 80's, their annual State inspections included an exhaust test, and that car consitently blew a zero on the tests.

Lots of ill maintained cars burn oil. I've seen examples from all brands. In fact I was behind a Mercedes just yesterday....

Lets talk about good ones, bad ones and the ones in between.

I got a three box humidor for christmas with about 300 dollars worth of cigars in it. The best of the lot were the Gurkhas and the Fuente Rothschild Sun Grown.

No, but I do like to spark a crack rock on the weekends everynow and then.

Leaded fuel was hard on valves back then, and they wore out faster than they do now. After I made the repairs the car never burned or leaked oil. In fact when I moved to Connecticut back in the early 80's, their annual State inspections included an exhaust test, and that car consitently blew a zero on the tests.

Lots of ill maintained cars burn oil. I've seen examples from all brands. In fact I was behind a Mercedes just yesterday....

Umm no internal combustion is zero emissions....
I have lived in Portland , OR and Tampa, FL both of which required emissions tests.

The mercedes might have been a diesel.

Last edited:
Umm no internal combustion is zero emissions....
I have lived in Portland , OR and Tampa, FL both of which required emissions tests.

The mercedes might have been a diesel.

"Zero" on a test machine equates to below detection level. As I recall the test sampled for two pollutants, one of the results was very low and the other was zero.

not to wonder off topic or anything but

"Anyone here smoke cigars? "

only if its got some gree stuff in it! :cig:

Ranchero! I'm wondering when they're going to start making those again. Because they were so rare, its probably worth more now than a stock Z-car of the same era.

I doubt it. The 280s are collectors items now, the Ranchero's, not so much. Although the '78 Ranchero drove like a dream, had interior like a Cadillac, and had the biggest bed of any other truck at its time, it never could bump the El Camino off the top of the list.

I do miss that thing though.

I doubt it. The 280s are collectors items now, the Ranchero's, not so much. Although the '78 Ranchero drove like a dream, had interior like a Cadillac, and had the biggest bed of any other truck at its time, it never could bump the El Camino off the top of the list.

Rancheros had wimpy suspension under the front end.

It would be interesting to see a market comparison.

I wonder if the El Camino concept will ever come back.

Back